Notices

Doctor Appointment

Old 04-03-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bayliss View Post

@2granddaughters - wow! That is awesome! Hello fellow Ontarion!! I am near Fergus! )
Fergus and Elora are lovely. Wife loves St Jacobs. Her cousin is in Rockwood.
You are pretty centrally located for all sorts of meetings and recovery facilities... take your pick.

I got my feet on the ground at Brentwood in Windsor in '89 and AA has kept me "on the beam" for over 22yrs.
All the best in your recovery program choice.

Bob R
Old 04-03-2012, 08:37 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I never paid for detox or rehab here in Cleveland Ohio. Just a FYI. We have many several detox's and rehab that will never turn anyone away due to the fact they cant pay.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:12 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

When I told my doctor about my 'problem' she told me to just try and have 2 glasses of wine a night....decided then and there she had absolutely no clue about alcoholism. My mouth dropped open and I was literally lost for words so I just didn't bother to go on.

I started seeing an addiction counsellor but that was after I was 4 weeks sober. Cold turkey for me caused nothing mord than MAJOR irritability! All the best hun
Old 04-03-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Bayliss, what is your expectation here? Can you picture yourself not having a drink? How do you think this is going to work for you? You seem to be stuck here without any plan at all.

Getting my head around to the idea that 'now' is the only time that anything can happen, the only time when we are in control, was the key for me. I understood that every drink I took would only make this more difficult for me, so I took the easy way out. I made it as easy as possible for myself to stop drinking. I quit.

I pictured myself on a diving board, a high board over a swimming pool, with a swarm of bees stinging me over and over and over. To make the pain stop, all I had to do was jump. I jumped. Does this make any sense to you?
Old 04-03-2012, 10:45 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Bayliss,
I'm in Toronto so I know what you mean about treatment options here. The detox centres are literally like dog pounds. They put you in a room with 3 or 4 other detoxers, each gets a bed, and thats it. Staff watch you through a window for however long it takes to detox. No amenities thats for sure. However, you CAN apply to an in-patient professional rehab facility and have it covered by OHIP. Won't cost a dime. You may have to wait a month or two, but definitely worth it. I went to Homewood in Guelph and it was great!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:11 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hi Bayliss, fellow canuck here (british columbia)
I went to a detox center here in my province, and it didnt cost a thing, because its government funded. I cant imagine it would be much different on the east coast?

They told me on the phone it could take up three weeks on the wait list, or even as quick as the next day. they never know for sure how long, i got the call 4 days later. The list usually moves pretty quick, while i was there i couldnt tell you how many people checked in during the day, then bolted by night time, freeing up a spot. or people on the wait list didnt answer their phone and they move right on to the next person on the list. no harm in putting your name on it, right?

As for the no ipods, cellphones, and stuff like that...they have those rules for a reason. you are there for yourself, to get better and stuff like that is a major distraction, especially if you are communicating with the same people you drink with, or get drugs from etc...they did have payphones though.

and i totally understand your fear of withdrawls, it was one of the things that kept me drinking so long, i was terrified and convinced myself that i was going to be one of those people that have a seizure, or DT etc...i know everyones detox is differnt, but the most i had was sweating, isomnia, and really horrible anxiety and panic attacks. lasted about a week.

ill tell you one thing though, im really glad i dont have to do it again, and my life has been a whole lot better without the booze.

Good Luck!!
Old 04-04-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
Hi Bayliss,
I'm in Toronto so I know what you mean about treatment options here. The detox centres are literally like dog pounds. They put you in a room with 3 or 4 other detoxers, each gets a bed, and thats it. Staff watch you through a window for however long it takes to detox. No amenities thats for sure. However, you CAN apply to an in-patient professional rehab facility and have it covered by OHIP. Won't cost a dime. You may have to wait a month or two, but definitely worth it. I went to Homewood in Guelph and it was great!
Oh wow! i didnt realize the places out east were like that! Where i went was quite different. Everyone had their own little room, the staff sat with us during meals, watching tv etc, rarely ever stayed in their 'glass office' and they had an AA or NA panel come in every night to talk. Fed us pretty good too. And this place took everyone. had lengthy conversations with some of the homless people that were staying there, very intresting stories they have lol

Mine was a medical one though, so i was aloud to bring my perscriptions and stuff but you had to hand them over, and they would dole them out to you in the mornings.

I actually didnt realize there were non-medical ones til anna mentioned it. I guess i just got lucky finding this place.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IndaMiricale View Post
I never paid for detox or rehab here in Cleveland Ohio. Just a FYI. We have many several detox's and rehab that will never turn anyone away due to the fact they cant pay.
Salvation Army?...Somebody's got to be paying for it...The only treatment that I know of that's free is AA.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:24 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I could never taper down no matter how hard I tried it was all or nothing....I think thats why we are consider alcoholics.... no control over it.... we would love to be able to... we can't!!...thats why were alcoholics.....So why your doctor would recommend that is a strange to me.....Bayliss I drank real heavy for years, like 12 shots a rum in a 3 hour evening time every night for years!! I was scared, I told my husband what could happen and if it did he needed to call for help asap! I wish you the best of luck Bayliss once you get threw the first few days your fears about detoxing will go away then you have to work on the sobriety part which is a lot work more then drinking... but it is so worth it!...You have us here on SR to support you ...its what has helped me the last 95 days
Old 04-04-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Bottom line, none of these things is going to cure you of your drink problem without some work from you. YOU have to have the willingness to do this and make some changes in your life.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for the advice.

@sugarbear @jobei - yes, we discussed a plan on how to taper and he wrote it down for me.

I really have no desire to drink anymore.
I have realized that this is a scary addiction.
My plan isn't AA - not yet anyways, because it isn't for me (I have gone in the past). But will be looking into AVRT and have made an appointment for an assessment with another addictions counsellor who will further help me make a plan on how not to drink after I have quit.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You still need to begin by stopping, Bayliss. Now is good.