Notices

An actuall tidbit of contribution

Old 04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

An actuall tidbit of contribution

I've been drinkin )on and off( for about forty years, so i know, sleep is a problem, drunk or not, either way, sleep ain't good. so I'm like, gettin healthy, *so i thought( and was takin vitamins, like super vitamins, has got tons of b's c's and d,s you name it, amino's gink'os, bilombas, etc.. i figured it out, (at least for me( don't take the heavy herb vitamins before bed. dreams are stupid, there like yer boss dumping a two foot pile of paper on your desk, or having you chizel through a mountain of rock, but theze vitamins kept me awake for hours and hours, even valium wouldn't help, i was seein s*** like white poodles driving snowmobiles around in the summer, it was the vitamins!!! DUHH!! uhh' anyways. herb (vitamins) before bed suck, especially if you would like to sleep.. so take vitamins in the am please my friends.. OCD
Old 04-02-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you're seeing things I think the drink might be a factor too Dan?

D
Old 04-02-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thinking the same thing Dee...It might be what you're washing them down with...What are you doing to get and stay sober now Dan?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yeah, when I was drinking, I used to spend so much time pondering my vitamins and diet. Crazy looking back. Like standing in a burning house, wondering how it would look if I moved the couch a tad to the left....
Old 04-02-2012, 06:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
If you're seeing things I think the drink might be a factor too Dan?

D
haha! it's really crazy that i haven't progressed to seeing things, these things were in my sleep, although, in my younger days, seeing things was very entertaining.. haha1 (actually not that funny) but anyways, drinking hasn't made me see anything (yet), well, now that you think of it, that's another story... not to be a bad influence, i'm just a lost cause (poor me right?), thank's for being a good bro..
Old 04-02-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Vitamins require food and water for absorption, some even require fat and others require healthy food (natural vitamins) to be fully absorbed.

Some vitamins aren't able to be absorbed when drinking alcohol as the alcohol changes the lining of the stomach (and esophagus and intestines). Some interfere with others.

Basically, vitamins and other supplements require medical direction for proper use, as usually listed on the container.

Herbal vitamins, well, that's a whole new story. Some aren't really regulated.

Your best bet is to stop drinking and stay stopped.

In early recovery, treat yourself like you have the flu and eat oatmeal, cream of wheat, crackers, rice, basically a bland diet, then introduce protein (meat, fish, & beans) and then increase eating cooked veggies, then raw veggies, then fruits and then nuts. Be easy on your stomach, it's been through a lot. The goal is to get your stomach and insides stronger so a true real meal can be consumed properly and regularly. I hope this doesn't sound like medical information, it's a general rule on proper nutrition.

Discuss all vitamins and supplements with a medical professional before taking!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:50 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAndAble View Post
Yeah, when I was drinking, I used to spend so much time pondering my vitamins and diet. Crazy looking back. Like standing in a burning house, wondering how it would look if I moved the couch a tad to the left....
no, seriously, all them herbs, the one's in vitamins, give you crazy dreams, i'm sure someone else has had this experience, or at least is thinking about why they can't sleep... you guys can't put me in a rubber room..
Old 04-02-2012, 06:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Are you still drinking? Or have you stopped?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

sorry I misunderstood, Dan.

As far as being a lost cause - only as long as you see yourself that way mate.
There's a lot of support here, as you know

D
Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Thinking the same thing Dee...It might be what you're washing them down with...What are you doing to get and stay sober now Dan?
really, Sapling, I'm not kidding, the mega vitamins with herbs, are makin me have really crazy nights, i just figured that out and wanted to share it because i thought for once in my life i could contribute something good, i'm sure it's not lost on the people that know what i'm talking about. and i don't need any pity or whatever the word might be, i'm happy, i got my point across, some think i'm nut'z, i know i'm not.. yes i drink, but i tried to help others who take mega vitamins and have the same reaction. not tryin to be a jerk, just sayin. good to hear from ya..
Old 04-02-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

OK, I get you on the supplements. Good tip, Dan, thank you.

So... how about we talk about the drinking, and this whole "lost cause" nonsense? Because there's no such thing as lost causes around here, Dan, just noble ones....
Old 04-02-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Could be the alcohol interacting with those herbs and vitamins.

If you had stopped drinking, dreams are really vivid and for me quite odd (some are okay dreams, other true nightmares). Vivid to the point where I would wake up and I could still see those images in my bedroom; apparently my brain waves were doing something crazy. Even 10.5 months later, I can have really vivid images that are clear when I open my eyes. Scary cause it's just me and the cat here!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Are you still drinking? Or have you stopped?
I'm having a hard time, stopping completely, as all alcoholics know, there has to be something to replace the time spent in "crazy land?" ok, you can study so long, and do good things, and get everything done, but in the end, the alki in you wants something more, it want's insanity!, and that's as far as i can go for now... love you guys Dan
Old 04-02-2012, 07:33 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm having a hard time, stopping completely, as all alcoholics know, there has to be something to replace the time spent in "crazy land?" ok, you can study so long, and do good things, and get everything done, but in the end, the alki in you wants something more, it want's insanity!, and that's as far as i can go for now... love you guys Dan
Yep, I used to think that Dan - I was D, the rock and roll guy, fuelled by insanity and sticking one finger up at conventions and not playin by the rules....

All I was really doing was killing myself man.

You don't need to replace the time at all IMO - you just need to get the heck out of crazy land.

The more time I spent living my life, not drinking, and working on myself to be happy, the less drinking made sense, and the less I wanted insanity.

I really hope you'll discover that too Dan

D
Old 04-02-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You can't say you are lost cause Dan...If you aren't trying anything...You know what I mean Dan?...If you were failing at some attempt to quit for good...I could see you coming on here with the pity party.....But you're not even trying anything....Do you get that? Why don't you take a look at some of these ways that people here have stopped drinking....And try one....It's better than just sitting there drinking yourself to death. Make an effort to get your life together.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

OK, I get you on the supplements. Good tip, Dan, thank you.

So... how about we talk about the drinking, and this whole "lost cause" nonsense? Because there's no such thing as lost causes around here, Dan, just noble ones....
I know, there's no lost cause, or not being able to see beyond depression, or the light at the end of the tunnel, right, i know that, but how many sober people do you see hanging around, doing fun things? doing unmentionable things in bars, in public places, etc, etc.. maybe i can wrap that around my head someday.. what do they say? idle hands are the devils playground..
Old 04-02-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I do lot of fun things, and occasionally even some unmentionable things, just not in bars anymore....

We went through this a couple weeks ago Dan, with you posting about how much fun you're having. But if you're really having such a great time, why did you come here? I don't think it's to share insights on herbal supplements, is it?
Old 04-02-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Well I don't do unmentionable things in public anymore or anywhere else - I've done those enough to know they're not fun for me.

I have fun tho - every day - I feel like I'm a kid again...and thats with all my health hangups, lack of money and the various things that happen to us all, day by day.

If I've learned anything, Dan, it's that alcohol doesn't manufacture fun - thats a big stupid old lie fed to us by TV movies, our drinking buiddies and our own fears about change.

Alcohol doesn't manufacture fun - I do.
There's hundreds of people here living fun filled lives sober, Dan.

If you're not having fun when you're not drinking, I think you have to look to yourself to see why that is, bro.

I'm not beating up on you - I was right where you are for 20 years...but I think you deserve more from your life than what you're giving yourself right now, D.

D
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I do lot of fun things, and occasionally even some unmentionable things, just not in bars anymore....

We went through this a couple weeks ago Dan, with you posting about how much fun you're having. But if you're really having such a great time, why did you come here? I don't think it's to share insights on herbal supplements, is it?
I'll have to recall what was happening a couple weeks ago, hmm, i admit, i like the hanging out, but my little tid bit got the best of me...
Old 04-02-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I think it is the best of you that keeps bringing you back, Dan. I hope you keep coming back.