Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Even Sober Those FUBAR Days Happen, Its How I React that's Different

Notices

Old 04-02-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bought a new lap top yeaterday from Best Buy, Spent 3-4 hours downloading stuff, setting up favorite list, selecting and installing virtus protection and desk top wallpaper, etc. Today I installed some of that fix it stuff to speed uip computer, defrag and so on. It sure did, it erased all my programs including Inertnet Explorer plus my favorites list.Spent 1-2 hours at Best Buy trying to get resolution. Finally they gave me another computer so I am in the process of downloads, favorite list again. They didn't want to refund on the software beause it was open, finally convince them that a program that wipes out everything is not very helpful (kind of A Dilbert thing).

My point being I didn't like it but I handeled it like a grown up. Had I been drinking I would have shinned the whole thing on and procrastinated, got pissy with Best Buy Geeks or thrown the computer against the wall in a drunker's fit of rage. As it is I am reinstalling and keeping come, sheet happens. Oh, and I was supposed to move back in my place today after a week in a motel but its not ready and the people who moved my furniture out broke down my bed and didn't bother to set it back up and all my furniture and possessions are scattered everywhere. Oh I spent $3,500 to have everything done, new carpeting, paint, cleaning.

But you know, I'm handling it. All the above was merely my karma coming home to roost, fueled by my addiction. I've got a good computer, my place will be like new, and I can be thrifty and reup my finances. A FUBAR day but I still feel blessed. Rambled but good to get it out.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

MCF

Well done. I get what you mean, I am trying to grow up to. For me the difference is I am trying to recognise when I am upset and holding back on my initial emotional reaction, and getting into a tangle of anger and resentment.

keep up the good work
Old 04-02-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good job! I am proud of you. Handling life without running for the booze, that is excellent.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're not letting things get to you Fitz ... thats awesome - and a great lesson for us all

D
Old 04-02-2012, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Fitz,
Those Best Buy GeekSqaud guys will challenge anyone's sobriety! haha. I almost lost it on them too recently. If I was hungover or half in the bag, I wouldn't have been calm. Another reason not to drink...
Old 04-02-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job Fitz. It's funny how we think alcohol calms us down & keeps us serene. It does just the opposite.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well done Fitz. I also still have bad days but the way I deal with them has changed.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Wow what a bad day. I'm glad you're dealing with it sober, good for you!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Nice, Fitz. I needed that—having a bit of FUBAR day myself over taxes, and this was a good reminder that hey, if I recovered from addiction, I can surely recover from other (and much less significant) setbacks.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Oh my! I just realized what FUBAR means! I could write a book on those days I've had for the last, well, 50 years! Being sober, it was all different, though. Manageable manageability! Yes, I felt tested to the extreme, too! That's when I would call someone or write in my journal. Talking it out helped me a lot!

Glad you are getting through, Fitz!

Hey, have you run into sweet looking little old ladies in the grocery store who have their own agenda? Those days are really (sarcastic here) fuuun!
Old 04-02-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

FUBAR continues, my alma mater KU is getting creamed by UK, a year ago I would have drank even more heavely than normal which was already abnormally heavy because I was 1) nervous/excited 2) celebrating the start of the NCCA championship and 3) depression dispointment at falling so far behind. None of that really matters because I would experience a blackout along the way and not even remember the second half. The next morning I would have started drinking 1) to avoid hangover and shakes and 2) to comisderate when I finally saw the score. I always provided myself with a rationale for drinking. The bonly rationale I have for not drinking is that every fsacit of my life, phsyical, mental, emotional, spiritual, social is 100% better than when on the bottle. Hope everyone is doing well and that I'm the only Jayhawk fan cringing right now.

Oh my! I just realized what FUBAR means! Can mean the F wor5d plus beyond all recognition or beyond all reapair
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yep, but it's OK, because the term was coined by GIs in WWII. So it's profanity, but a cool, Nazi-fighting, 1940s kind of profanity that was deemed acceptable enough to appear in comic strips. Ah, those were the days...

(Also see SNAFU and TARFU. Though the Brits claim their soldiers came up with SNAFU.)
Old 04-02-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

With SR, it would have to be something like Fed Up Beyond All Repair
Old 04-02-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are definitely handling it! Awesome, Fitz!