Notices

That was close!

Old 04-02-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

That was close!

I went over to my neighbors house for a visit today. She likes to drink, a lot. I knew from the time I woke up this morning that it would probably not be the best idea to go, but she drove most of her friends away and boy do I know what that feels like. So I go over there and as soon as she opened the door I could smell the alcohol on her breath. I asked her if we could sit outside so that if I felt uncomfortable it would be a quick hop over the fence and I'd be home. As soon as we started talking she offered me a shot and without thinking I said yes. She started pouring it and it only took me a couple of seconds to realize what I've done and quickly told her that I quit drinking and don't want a shot.

She looked at me as if I had two heads and burst out laughing (add another one to the list of people that don't think I can do it). She then proceeded to talk me into "just one" drink. I got up and very politely (and that was hard as I am a very outspoken person) told her that if she ever needed something she can text me, but if it involves us drinking together then I'll most likely be busy and not to bother.

Next time my heart tells me not to do something I'm going to listen and spare myself the drama, I've had enough of that while I was drinking.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you chiyo...Way to hop the fence....I don't think you need to try that test again any time soon.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! I'm afraid to visit many of my "old friends" for the very same reason. Your story was an inspiration. Thanks!!
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I agree, enough drama, and time for a change.
Old 04-02-2012, 01:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

"Lead us not into temptation" ... never mind, God, I can find it myself.

Glad to hear you dodged the bullet, now stay out of the shooting range.

(Don't make me come up there !! ...)

Bob R
Old 04-02-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone, I will be avoiding her as much as possible and also looking for a new place to live. We need a bigger house anyway and I've been meaning to look for something just haven't had the time.

2granddaughers, should I ? lol
Old 04-02-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good job Chiyo.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Chiyo,
it was decent of you to visit her out of compassion. You did the right thingg by walking away and not withdrawing your friendship completely but putting conditions on it in the light of your new sobriety.
Keep up the good work

CaiHong
Old 04-02-2012, 03:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, for a minute I thought that I was being too mean to her and should text her to apologize (I won't go over there when she's drunk) because she's been there for me many times. I wasn't sure if I wanted to say anything about this but we became good friends when we were younger and she helped me get out of an abusive relationship. It was a night I didn't think I was going to survive and she came to my rescue and put her own life on the line for me. I owe her a lot for what she's done and it hurts that I have to refuse to see her now. She probably thinks I'm a terrible person for treating her the way I did today. I just hope that one day she understands and is willing to work on our relationship. I know that if she got sober then we could have that close friendship again, but I know that I can't make her get sober, its something she must want and sadly she doesn't. I want to move out of here, not to hurt her but just to distance myself from her until I'm fully comfortable being around someone who is drunk. She can still contact me anytime but like I told her, I will NOT be drinking with her every again. Earlier I was happy and proud of what I did but now I just feel like a huge a*****e for what I did, I'm just going to have to trust that I am making the right decisions.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

chiyo, your life is on the line now with your drinking. Do what's best for you at this time.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Good job!

Based on what you wrote it doesn't sound like you were rude to her, you just clearly defined your boundaries, which a lot of alcoholics are not comfortable doing.