Notices

Day 13, the Good and the Bad

Old 04-01-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 13, the Good and the Bad

I'm very pleased that today was the 13th day of my sobriety. Physically I feel so much better, but psychologically a lot is bothering me. Everything from insomnia and then disturbing dreams when I do sleep, to constant worrying about whether I'll make it this time.

I managed to make a mess of my life while I was drinking, and now the task of rebuilding it seems almost too big to even tackle. I'm unemployed, seriously in debt, and had to give up my apartment.

I know that drinking won't solve anything and that it will, in fact, make things worse. I know what I have to do, but it just seems so monumental at times.

But checking this forum and reading others' experiences does help me. Just wanted to share a little of my own.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congrats. All seems to get better a little after two weeks. You are doing a super good job.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, natural and logical consequences for many alcoholics including myself. Maybe don't look at the great big mess, instead focus on one or two issues you can wrap your head around, not picking up is one of them. We didn't get in all this sh*t overnight and we won't get out of it over night. Small steps, focused attention on the trees and not the forest. Little by little you'll get it all back and then some.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Dennis

I think we clean up our alcoholic 'stuff' the same way we'd pick up any debris, a piece at a time, and one day at a time.

I thought me quite a while to sort out the messes I had - but I look back and I'm so glad I kept at it

You'll find a lot of support and encouragement here - hope the insomnia and the bad dreams get better soon

welcome

D
Old 04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

I ran to a meeting on my 12th day and found someone who would help me work the steps. I was employed 9 months later. I have 10.5 months today and am still living in a world where I owe a lot, but I haven't been without food, and in my case I was close to losing my apartment (I've been homeless, too), but that was just saved.

I guess I am letting you know things will and do get better. Don't pick up! Drinking will only make things worse, you know this. Stay stopped and things will fall back into place.

Peace,
Old 04-01-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Hi Dennis! Congrats on 13 days.

Try not to look at everything all at once - tackle your life a bit at a time and it won't seem so insurmountable. You'll begin to find your life much more manageable in comparison to when you were drinking.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Just wanted to welcome you as I noticed this was your first post....

I agree with the others - try to stay in the day and take things as they come. You've turned the ship around and that's the most important thing!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

17 days

...and I'm off to make coffee at a big book meeting.
Slept 6.5 hours, my longest one yet, and feeling pretty good this morning.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

oops posted in the wrong place!

Sorry!! Let me try that again. Mods, please delete?