Notices

Hello

Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello

Hi, I would like to stay anonymous... but I just am confused. I am a college student, doing well in school, all the norms you would expect, except for the fact, I drink almost every day. I have drank to do homework, I have drank to go to sleep, and obviously drink to have fun. Thing is, I know I am not addicted, because in the past I would drink once a week just to get my mind going. Which is completely normal, and in the past, I did this for 6 months, before those 6 months I drank everyday like I do now. Now... I just need some insight... I think the reason I drink so much is because I isolated my self from so many people. I don't have as many friend as I used too. I tell my self "don't worry, you are going to school, eventually you will lose most of your friends in the future, might as well be now"... I just don't socialize as much as I should for being my age. I don't go out, I don't hangout with friends. All I do is get drunk and do school work. I feel as if the answer if right in front of me, but it's just not enough...
Old 04-01-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by spitfire01 View Post
All I do is get drunk and do school work. I feel as if the answer if right in front of me, but it's just not enough...
Welcome to SR spitfire01....We're more than willing to help you out...Just curious what more you need than what you just typed to identify what problem you might have?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Spitfire, welcome to SR

Hon, you don't see your friends, all you do is drink, and even though it makes you miserable you don't seem able to stop. Plus, you've joined an addiction recovery website. How would you define an addict?

Still
xx
Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Men and women drink essentially because they like the effect produced by alcohol. The sensation is so elusive that, while they admit it is injurious, they cannot after a time differentiate the true from the false. To them, their alcoholic life seems the only normal one. They are restless, irritable and discontented, unless they can again experience the sense of ease and comfort which comes at once by taking a few drinks-drinks which they see others taking with impunity. After they have succumbed to the desire again, as so many people do, and the phenomenon of craving develops, they pass through the well-known stages of a spree, emerging remorseful, with a firm resolution not to drink again. This is repeated over and over, and unless this person can experience an entire psychic change there is very little hope of his recovery."

The Doctor's Opinion, Alcoholics Anonymous

Big Book Online - the doctor's opinion
Old 04-01-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Spitfire

In my experience, whatever else was going in my life, it was my relationship with alcohol that was abnormal. My addiction was not caused by anything other than me and drinking.

It took me a long time to learn that alcohol is an addictive substance. Alcohol addiction is complex but avoided if there is no use of alcohol.

You will not be young forever and the addiction can be growing without you knowing
Old 04-01-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow, from what you say it sounds like you'd do better all 'round if you didn't drink.

Can't you stop and stay stopped until you finish school, so you can finish school? If yes then do, if no then it indicates a problem you really don't want to have.

If you have a problem you really don't want to have then it's going to take much more than some occasional concern and extra efforts.

In the meantime if that's so, while you work this out and drink keep in mind that you're making yourself worse with every drink. But if you've got what I have that won't stop you. Good clue then regarding what you are going to be dealing with one way or another as long as you breathe air.

Hope it's otherwise and you actually have the capability to stop.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

It doesn't matter why we drink. We are drinking. Stop drinking for a while, if you can't, there may be a problem.

You've placed drinking above friendship in your list of priorities, and now you are rationalizing it. This pattern may just continue into your future.

Seek medical help for detoxing and look into AVRT or AA or some other program of recovery.

I wish you well,