Notices

Newbee asking for best no bs detox

Old 03-30-2012, 11:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wink Newbee asking for best no bs detox

To be clear - I need to detox and get clean like a reststop plunger... However, I am not looking for an abstinence program, much less one associated with any religion.
Outdoors, low pressure but to the point.
Can anyone point me in right direction?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

We are a recovery site nyce - if you want to stop doing whatever your drug of choice is you're in the right place

Generally tho - detox is one thing (I recommend professional supervision by a Dr to be safe)

Staying clean and sober is another thing - that's where the programmes come in.

D
Old 03-31-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Surely there's got to be more than one or the other - recovery cannot mean not doing anyting that might cause injury? I recovered from an ACL/MCL surgery but still play basketball every once in a while.
I'm just searching for a place in between where a moderation tactic is preached..does that exist>?
Old 03-31-2012, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I can only tell you what you'll find here Nyce.

We also have a medical advice rule which means you're unlikely to get the kind of answers you're looking for anyway I'm afraid.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
Our full list of rules and policies is here:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ting-tips.html

D
Old 03-31-2012, 12:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

Many of us have tried moderation with dismal results, I am sure there are some that have been able to moderate but they are the minority in my experience. Some would say that people that have a problem with alcohol have an allergy of sorts... people with an alergy to peanuts dont try to continue to eat peanuts... they learn to stop eating them ;-)

If your truly looking for a place that endorses moderation management a Google search on the term should bring up some results for you. If you find that you are still having trouble with your drinking & want to quit we will be here for you & ready to support you in your journey.

All of the best ~ NB
Old 03-31-2012, 12:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My fault.. a google search with moderation actually brought me here as I recall.
at the same time I was I thinking that folks here might have some input towards a good detox program worthwhile.
not sure if I agree about the peanuts though...
Old 03-31-2012, 12:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Here is the wiki on the history of the moderation management program... The founding member ended up killing two people in a tragic accident while drunk driving. A sad story to say the least...

Moderation Management - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 03-31-2012, 12:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah... its late here lol, not the best analogy. I found I couldn't control my drinking in the end & its been great.

Would you like to share what brought you to this point? Are you having trouble with your drinking, is it causing you problems in your life? You are among people that understand.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
So it goes

Nyce I am afraid the one thing we wont preach is moderation. We have all tried it and come to the conclusion it doesn't work. I drank because of the feeling booze gave me, so wanted to keep that feeling going, ended up drunk and nasty.
First drink does the damage, that is my mantra
As for anything else, if it stops you drinking, we are generally for it, there is lots of experience on this site, and people are generally unshockable, and as most are sober, they are polite.
I found this place in January, and this is my tenth sober weekend, since I got to SR I have found little desire to drink, and a lot of inner strength.
Oh and listen to Dee, he is wise.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

By no means I am trying to change minds or methods (and obviously I ended up on a somewhat incorrect site for myself perhaps) but.. I was just asking about advise on a positive detox place and, hopefully with no offence, none has been passed forth..
While moderation is not a practice to supported here I'm sure even you can admit it does actually exist - whether or not you tried it, it can, and has been done..
which brings me to admitting why I'm here - my "moderation" has ceased to be moderate, however, I dont think I am where all or nothing takes turn ("denial" comments desist). Just looking for a place to spend a few sober days with some positive people...
Old 03-31-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I sent you a PM (private message) NT - look at the top right hand corner of the page.

D
Old 03-31-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nycetouch View Post
Just looking for a place to spend a few sober days with some positive people...
We are here for you on that one, as mentioned earlier many of us have tried moderation & found that we were unable to keep that going... eventaully we drank much more than we planned with many negative consequences following.

I personally never wanted to have a few... whats the point in that lol. For some that works but for many of us that have come here not so much. I was always an all or nothing kind of guy ;-) All of the best with whichever path you decide to take
Old 03-31-2012, 01:30 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

appreciate that.. there's wealth of info out there but I wanted to get something from someone who might have had a brush with it.
would have responded to your message but apparently I need at least, this being the needed,5 posts
Thanks!
Old 03-31-2012, 05:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Well, detox is usually medically involved.. so not sure if a sober vacation of sorts could meet that need, but after you detox there are some great resources (google sober retreats/sober vacations) out there for some sober type getaways. Your doc could likely point you in the direction of a medical detox.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, I agree, talk to your dr and he may be able to recommend a place for you.

Good luck with your detox and moderation plan.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Go to the ER of the hospital. They might keep you for 3 days. Then, you are detoxed.

Read about AVRT--do an internet search. Of course, that is about abstinence. I tried moderation, it never worked for me. You will probably hear this statement more than anything on here. Moderation doesn't work once we've gotten to the point of over-doing the drinking. You may not obtain the specific answer you seek.

AVRT will allow you the freedom to work that program then continue on in life, as you see fit. Until you put that drink down, your denial and delusional thinking will continue. Go ahead and read about AVRT!

Also visit the Secular Forum if you scroll down from the Newcomer's Forum.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Best wishes on your journey.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
SOBERWRLDRCDPOWER

I tried moderation for 17 years and all i could do was moderatley lose more and more items along the way till eventually they were all gone. Anybody on here that has some time will probably tell you that if they could now mocerate they wouldn't anyway. If you like who you are and the way you feel you don't need to take anything to change that. I've been to over 25 detoxes in every form imaginable. Go to ant Dr. and they'll tell you what you need to do. But why detox if you wanna keep doing what your doing. Just slow down. lol
Old 03-31-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Nycetouch,
I think moderation management is possible for some. You might want to try both websites, as I did for a few months.
I could moderate for awhile and then started 'er up again into unhealthy amounts (say past one or two). Could never manage the 30 day trial--Drats--WAKE UP CALL--come over to SR if MM doesn't work for you after a month or two.
Listening to folk say moderation can't be done seems a little dogmatic for all. BUT..you'll find a lot of people tried that too many times here--year after year--not a good sign. I liked the way a few people put it: They found moderation maintenance not so much impossible as exhausting, time-consuming, thought-consuming-abstinence is ultimately easier (though maybe not in the beginning).
My theory (and many others) is after a time of drinking, your brain gets a bit hijacked and quitting gets more difficult as the weeks, months, years roll on.
a
Old 03-31-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nycetouch View Post
I need to detox and get clean like a reststop plunger... However, I am not looking for an abstinence program, much less one associated with any religion.
That's an oxymoron. Non-abstinent clean.

I don't believe I understand your question

"google search with moderation". My whole life in recovery is based on moderation and balance, except booze/drugs... abstinence covers those.

Bob