Notices

I have a crazy idea

Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I have a crazy idea

I have been sober for nearly six days now and I feel incredible. I've made a lot of lifestyle changes (I've finally accepted God into my life and have adopted the straight edge ideology). I'm not feeling urges or any threat of relapse just the natural high of life that God intended.

So now the scientist in me wants to run an experiment. I want to see how I will respond to being in an alcohol friendly restaurant like Buffalo Wild Wings for example. I say Buffalo Wild Wings because I used to usually get two of their tall glasses of beer which is about four beers worth. I am sure as hell not looking for a "reward" i just want an iced tea. Maybe do something along the lines of measure on a scale of 1 to 10 my desire for alcohol before, during, and after going to the restaurant. It might give me an estimate of the progress that I've made and the progress that I have left to make.

Another reason being that I think my wife could use a nice night out too given this last week.

What do you guys think? Good idea? Bad idea? Too ambitious?
Old 03-30-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bring God with you...
Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get it - you're doing it this weekend, and you feel great ...but why want to test yourself when just yesterday you were posting how vulnerable you felt, CD?

I'm not really a fan of the 'test' - what you're doing right now is all the proof you need that you're getting somewhere, that sobriety is awesome, and that you're better off

Take your wife out by all means, but there's no need to make it a test IMO - does going to a non alcoholic restaurant sound as good?

D
Old 03-30-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well, I say go for it - you have a great wife!! I don't agree with the theory of not going to places that serve alcohol. Well, I wouldn't go to a bar, but a casual restaurant that served alcohol? Yeah! If I didn't I would starve.

If you begin to feel like you are losing it then just take your stuff with you and go home.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Ya. It sorta sounds to me like, 'Hey everybody, watch this!'. Those don't always go well.

In its own time, you will want to be a normal person (who doesn't drink), taking your wife out for dinner with not a single care in the world about the wine list. I don't think that this is that time.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Day six I was one day out of detox....Hey CD...This is your call.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by CorgiDad View Post
Maybe do something along the lines of measure on a scale of 1 to 10 my desire for alcohol before, during, and after going to the restaurant. It might give me an estimate of the progress that I've made and the progress that I have left to make.
The presence or absence of desire is not a reliable indicator of progress, or lack thereof.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow... 6 days...
Old 03-30-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

For what it's worth...You did title the thread...I have a crazy idea...And not....I have a brilliant idea.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

At 6 days, yeah, it is a crazy idea. I've been there. I suggest a nice home cooked meal and a movie with popcorn. At a "regular" movie theater, not one that specializes in food and spirits.....
Old 03-30-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wouldn't do it.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:11 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
Bring God with you...
And have a Plan "B" in place for when Plan "A" goes south ....

I think you are experiencing the "pink cloud" that we don't discuss to much here.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-30-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

straight edge people are vegetarian or vegan, are you adopting that, too? I don't think that place has vegetarian wings....
Old 03-30-2012, 05:19 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yeah, testing for failure is what it looks like to me. No requirement to run that test to prove what? And if you pass then what? Test again on some other occasion?

Don't fight against yourself to prove you won't drink. You're already proving you're not drinking -- as for won't -- i always eventually failed those tests because failure was being tested and not success, you know?

Enjoy a night out with your good wife, CD. There are plenty of places for a smart guy to take his lovely wife to a nice dinner without playing with alcoholic consequences.

Old 03-30-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hey Corgi. Obviously, the safest thing is not to do it - but I did it right after I quit. It was way too soon - I didn't cave, but I was miserable. I even cried - felt so sorry for myself. Now it seems ridiculous of course - but I was shaky and my emotions were raw.

Let us know how it goes, Corgi! We're here for you.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Personally, I wouldn't do it this early. You're feeling great, and that's awesome! It's one thing though to think you can do it and then actually get there and see other people enjoying their beer, wine, etc. and knowing that you can't ... I admire your confidence but it's easy to get cocky in the beginning when you've got a few days under your belt (I speak from experience).

If I were you, I'd be going to a nice restaurant that doesn't serve alcohol ... or else getting some fabulous takeout and treating the wife (in my case, husband) to an candlelight dinner at home. There will be lots of time further down the road when you can enjoy a good restaurant without the booze.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

All of my crazy experiments failed.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:56 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Why bother? I don't get the need to "test" yourself. Living your life without alcohol is test enough.

If you want to take out your wife go somewhere where you enjoy the food, not somewhere you used to like when you drank.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
a southern belle

......am just wondering how you will title your next post? Hope it's not....the devil made me do it!
Old 03-30-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
And the walls.....

6 days is nothing, congratulations and all, but after 6 days, no, maybe after a year.

Crazy idea, I agree.