Notices

I did not fit in. I feel so depressed.

Old 03-31-2012, 03:13 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

sugarbear1

No I haven't got any recovery program. I just decided not to drink ever and I love it.
Except, I don't fit in the parties anymore.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:20 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

EternalQ

If the party was again today. I would go there for 60 minutes and then go to another place to have a good meal. Rather than standing and observing others.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:23 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Elphaba

Im ok at the bars and pubs, Im not very strong at house parties. So if the urge comes in, I start thinking about my achievement (60 days), think about next morning. Short pleasure will come with a huge regret.
Old 03-31-2012, 03:28 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jitterbugg View Post
Now that I have experienced social situations where I wasn't drunk, I think I really get how obnoxious drunk people are haha. I cringe when I think of all the things I thought were charming and funny when I was intoxicated. I was such a douche-bag haha.
Jitterbug...so funny you mention that! A few nights ago I went to a family dinner and everyone (8 drunk adults) except my husband & I and all the 10 kids that were there were drunk. Sipping my diet coke was very funny as I watched as the night progressed people getting louder, walking off balanced, slurring words etc etc. Btw I left partway through the party and went to an AA meeting & came back
Old 03-31-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Thank you all for you comments! I feel a little bit better!!!!
Old 03-31-2012, 03:30 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Healthyfood View Post
sugarbear1

No I haven't got any recovery program. I just decided not to drink ever and I love it.
Except, I don't fit in the parties anymore.
I think you will fit in well and any party you want to attend. in this case you observed and felt out of place. Next time, you may surprise yourself in worrying less. One thing i know is that you won't have the drunken blotchy look as the night goes on. try again and see if you feel differently.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:09 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Fandy

I agree. Some had glossy eyes and could not speak properly. How shallow is that.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Don't overreact. It was one party. Maybe you didn't give it enough time, maybe they were a rude bunch, maybe they just had a lot to say to each other.

Here's my mantra: "It is not about me". This is a really useful thought in dozens of situations.
Old 03-31-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

dawnrunner

I like this "Its not about me". Does that mean its not my fault the way I am?
Old 03-31-2012, 04:36 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

true, it's really not all about us, but we worry anyway.

in this case, i'm trying to put a bit of a different spin on it for HF. i think it's fine to feel a little bit smug in that she wasn't a glassy-eyed, slurring drunk as the party went on. and feels well, not hungover this morning.

i used to hate to look in the mirror in the mornings...red, swollen face, permanently puffy eyes and a raging headache.

i always tell people to take a pic of themselves with their phone when they first stop and at intervals....just for a bit of motivation. there is a big difference you might not see daily.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I also have the same problem with parties, so I just stay for the first 2 hours then leave - this way I dont have to deal with people getting drunk and leave before any cocaine may appear.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:56 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Hi,
Healthyfood. Well that party had nothing to do with healthyfood. Maybe you can find health oriented friends. Take a raw food or vegan class or something. You don't have to go totally raw or vegan, but incorporate a couple of days a week into your routine. I did a raw conversion--and lasted about 4 days--but I felt great (even though still drinking 3 drinks a night) and met a lot of health oriented peeps. Long lasting friends? No, but those (sigh) are really hard to come by I'm learning.
Funny, I am/was a secret drinker-self-medicator. Meaning it was my end of the day tonic when I really didn't care to talk to anyone--so yes a social drinker, but more of an unsocial drinker. I could be around people intellectually all day and socialize by being the question asker. People love to be asked about themselves I was told--yes, I notice this because even my non-drinking friends rarely seem to give flying fig about my life except through the one or two activities we share.
Sorry, I was trying to be helpful, and fell into my own self-pity trap.
Let's all be friends here--no drinking.
Hugs
Old 03-31-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

england

Your comment made me actually laugh. Thank you!
Old 03-31-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

KaliCali

True. I don't know anyone who is healthy eater and binge drinker at the same.
So I will look for those people.