Notices

Ever feel like being isolated?

Old 03-30-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ever feel like being isolated?

I have this weird feeling. I'm lonely but at the same time I don't want to be bothered. It's a strange place to be in but I'm trying to overcome it. I have't had a drink in about 60 days but I find myself very bored sometimes but I can't seem to get out of my room and then i feel guilty for wasting the day away. I hope this feeling goes away soon
Old 03-30-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Perservere,

Good for you for staying off the drink for 60 days but to me it doesn't seem that healthy to isolate yourself.

What besides not drinking are you doing to stay sober?
I have found that giving up drinking was just the beginning of the journey.

How are you occupying yourself throughout the day?
CaiHong
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

perservere,

I'm at 31 days and I am experiencing this same exact feeling today. Except a moment ago I said to myself, another whole week gone by, during which I felt unfocused, distracted, bored, with little to no progress in my work, not up to dealing with anyone or anything outside my bubble. In the past I most certainly would have been considering or actively drinking.

So I do know the feeling well. Giving myself pep talks seems to help. If I find myself getting sucked in to distractedly browsing utterly irrelevant news stories in my web reader, or playing some mindless online game, I try my best to just snap out of it and pick up what is on my list of productive, necessary things to do. I've found getting overly angry about such "lost" days is a dangerous path for myself though. i just keep on trying.

congrats on 60 days, keep it up!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you thought about checking out an AA meeting?...You could meet some sober alcoholics and see what keeps them sober....You could solve the loneliness and boredom problem in one trip.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i know what you mean about isolating, be lonely and cool with not being bothered , i'm the same, and i have to put actions in to sort that, by getting out and mingling with the AA fellowship...it does me the world of good, give it a go
Old 03-30-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Isolation precedes a relapse in my book. I've been there.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is a place I come back to over and over again persevere83... part of me likes to wallow in that isolation but then I try to connect with other people more, even if it's just going to do the shopping. It's not entirely healthy but don't feel guilty about doing it sometimes. I just call it 'me' time
Old 03-30-2012, 11:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by persevere83 View Post
I have this weird feeling. I'm lonely but at the same time I don't want to be bothered. It's a strange place to be in but I'm trying to overcome it. I haven't had a drink in about 60 days but I find myself very bored sometimes but I can't seem to get out of my room and then i feel guilty for wasting the day away. I hope this feeling goes away soon
I think that's a typical alcoholic trait.
I often get very conflicted, part of me wants to be alone and another part of me knows that's wrong.... I want to be held while I isolate. Know what I mean ??

I agree with Sapling and Johnny, my salvation comes in being with the other Alkies at an AA meeting. The whole world makes sense again after about 10 mins at a meeting.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-30-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Oh Yeah,
I've never felt more isolated than ever. When life is good, it is much needed solitude. But people have made me feel more used than ever this past year--they kick you when your down and they smell you vulnerability. That is why we isolate--not healthy. But wanting to trust again feels too scary.
Old 03-30-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KaliCali View Post
But wanting to trust again feels too scary.
Yes, baby steps for most of us in that department.

Bob
Old 03-31-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Pervs you are not drinking but are you working to keep not drinking and figure out how to deal with what makes you want to drink. It is good to not drink, but finding the cause and finding other ways to deal with those triggers really needs to happen. I too tend to isolate myself. I always have, only child raised myself in a lot of ways, so being with and trusting others doesn't come easily but I have found that going to AA meeting makes me feel less isolated and when I leave I really feel like I have found some kind of happy release that makes me want to dance!