Notices

Post Traumatic Get My Sh*t Together After Rehab Syndrome

Old 03-30-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Traumatic Get My Sh*t Together After Rehab Syndrome

After coming off a major binge and spending about 28 daze in ER and in-patient rehab I'm feeling much better phyically and mentally/emotionaly but what a train wreck I made of my day to day life when derailed. My apartment is currently unlivable, my fiances gone South, my love relationship deep sixed. Really every facit of my life needs to be addressed and repaired. I know some of you face the similar situations or worse, but dang it can be tough when I'm fragile and focusing on my sobriety and recovery. I am working on acceptance and mindfulnes and understand that putting my life back together is a process not an event.

Curently I am working with my landlady to get my apartment in shape (including no booze anywhere), catching up with finances and rebuilding my credit, attending evening out patient and a weekly support group, AA and meditation and reflection.

Wondering what feeback or recommendations there might be from other SR members. I am committing to recovery 100%, my last detox was so bad I spent the first 3 daze in a wheel chair, too screwed up to walk. I don't think there is another recovery in me and anyway I am determined to make this my last one. I want to die sober (but not just yet) I'm 65 and there is so much more. Thanks ya all and my best to you.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Fitz!
I had to get a network of friends in recovery and fast! I stayed close to people that I felt really wanted to stay sober. The begining is the hardest part they say getting sober is so much harder than staying sober and it has prooved true so far. I checked in daily with a sponcor.
So far the biggest thing I have learned in sobriety is how our thinking is so totally off and spiritually sick, otherwise we wouldn't be thinking of numbing out. We don't know how to do anything alone in the begining. Don't feel bad about asking for help with everything! You are learning how to reprogram your brain. You are on the right path! Keep it up and come here often posting and on chat! Hugs!
Old 03-30-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi Fitz,
I have been there as far as unlivable apartment, debt, and broken relationships. I am still picking up the pieces a year into recovery. I was at rock-bottom and it scared me enough that my fear of going back there overrides my desire to drink. This may be my last chance at living a happy life because I know I if I pick-up again I will be homeless, in jail, or dead.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Good thinking, Fitz. You seem to be doing all the right things.

I agree with Jitterbugg - my fear of going back to hell keeps me from picking up. I'm older too, & we just can't expect our bodies & brains to recover indefinitely. I do believe if I were to have another binge I'd never make it back to the land of the living.

I think you're done, Fitz. I think the best is yet to be.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

Fitz, one thing at a time, then it will all fall into place. For now, stick with meetings and keep friends from the meetings close by. Some can even help you sort out what needs to be done and maybe help you to do it.

Stay stopped, this is priority! Your higher power will help, even if you believe in the group of drunks you hang with!

One second at a time, fitz. no overwhelming yourself now.

Love & hugs,
Old 03-30-2012, 01:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Hey Fitz, I just did my first and damn well only in hospital Detox by choice this week. Sometimes we all need a wake up call. But hey I made it to 7 days sober now! Funny thing, my nurse said everyone of her patients was in for detox, at least I know I wasn't alone.
Old 03-30-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by Hevyn View Post
Good thinking, Fitz. You seem to be doing all the right things.

I agree with Jitterbugg - my fear of going back to hell keeps me from picking up. I'm older too, & we just can't expect our bodies & brains to recover indefinitely. I do believe if I were to have another binge I'd never make it back to the land of the living.

I think you're done, Fitz. I think the best is yet to be.
Well said
Old 03-30-2012, 02:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hopefully you "stepped in it" bad enough this time that you'll remember ....

I had to take the "long view" of drinking instead of the "short view".

Put the pieces back together the same way you broke them.. 1 piece at a time. Then get down on your knees and ask God to help you to "Never do that again".

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Fitz

So glad you are back. I was worried about you when you hadn't posted for awhile.

Early in sobriety I listened a lot to talk about relapses, what to look outfor and I think that made me aware of what to watch for so I could prevent a relapse.

It sounds like you went through hell. I believe this time around you can learn from your mistake and turn your life around as you did before.

How is the puppy?

All the best

CaiHong
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember well looking at the (metaphorical and literal) amount of debris I had to clean up Fitz.

My advice is when you have that kind of mountain of rubbish before you, Fitz - pick up a piece at a time...

we're all with you in spirit buddy

D
Old 03-30-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hey, Fitz! Welcome back, mister!

I'd recommend checking out the AVRT thread on the secular connections part of SR. AVRT-style thinking helped me put myself on very solid ground, and while that thread began after I started my journey, it's a great place to get a taste of that approach and see if it might provide another arrow for your recovery quiver.

They have an ongoing and lively discussion that is now on its 4th part. It all began here: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iscussion.html
Old 03-30-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Fitz,

I remember when I first surrendered and you were here with great support ... I have also slipped after extended periods of sobriety. I finally found the right path for me spiritually which is a combination of Buddhism and AA, I attend both groups and always get something new ... I am sure there will be a 'bell' that resonates with you and that your network will walk with you one step at a time.

Be well
Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

((Fitz))) one of my dear friends likes to remind me (when I'm overwhelmed with all the stuff I need to FIX) - how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

We can't make things all better at once, but we can take things one step at a time.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 03-30-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all love you and SR. I think I tend to be an all or nothing kind of a guy, true for my drinking and recovery. I'll be mindful to check out the grays as well. Day 24 and feeling good. I will be mindful to take things one moment at a time including the rebuilding part. I'm really blessed to have found SR some time ago. Need you all and it more than ever and its great to know you and it are always here and supportive. Namaste
Old 03-31-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have no advice as I am in the same situation. Just take it slow I made a huge mess out of my finances and relationships due to my drinking. My problem was that every time I started worrying about it, I would stress so much it would make me want to drink. Worry is my biggest trigger. Ever heard of "the worry song" by Joe Walsh? That's always been me. This time I am just going to take my time to fix things and not stress on it. Concentrate on making myself well. You can make it through this. You are strong, you have friends, you have the right tools. Most importantly you have the desire. Hang in there buddy.