Notices

What is your occupation?

Old 03-30-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I work for NASA but I can't explain exactly what due to government secrecy.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I manage a test department at an aerospace company that designs and manufactures electric power systems and cabin pressurization and cooling systems for commercial and military airplanes. It really is rocket science after all. I am a husband for 30 years (of The Resident Love Goddess) and a dad of two grown daughters who are now pretty dang proud of their sober Pa. I like that part.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:32 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Don't dare tell.
If the agency l work for finds out what l was not so long ago...
Old 03-30-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I have a degree in culinary arts and worked as a Chef for 18 years. For the last 13, I have been working in the Auto Repair business, service and parts..I even got my ASE certifications not to long ago!!! There was a few years near the end of my drinking career that I was unemployable.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

U.S. Navy and binge drinker 4 years

Police Officer, Father of one and binge drinker 7years

K9 Officer, Father of two and alcoholic 7 years

Federal Agent, father of three and non-drinking alcoholic 4 years to present (sober 3weeks)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

LMT (licensed massage therapist)
Old 03-30-2012, 05:51 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Heavyweight Non Drinker Champion Of The World...in training.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Nurse at a critical care hospital. I'm lucky I have stopped before I totally ruined my career.
Old 03-31-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by Lost3000 View Post
I keep meeting lawyers in my home AA group. Amazing and sad all at the same time. I have to wonder how many others in the area I work are struggling without help.
I'm at a service event for the weekend, and I know and am meeting even more attorneys in recovery. My husband is one of them. There's a great organization in our state that reaches out to attorneys in crisis as the result of alcoholism & drug addiction as well as those with mental health issues. A local judge (nonalcoholic) organized an intervention of sorts for my husband because the judge was aware of this group's existence. And then he called some of his buddies in AA, who got my husband first to rehab and then into local meetings.

If my husband didn't get sober, he could not have blamed it on lack of supports. Thankfully, he did.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 03-31-2012, 02:20 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Worked for Board of Inland Revenue in Trinidad, then worked in a bank for two years (hated that). Left there and went to work in the construction industry in probably every department. Found a job as an IT Support with an oil company, then got restless and moved to the Virgin Islands where I've playing music for a living for the past 12 years.

Ohhhhh, before I forget, Retiring Alcoholic
Old 04-01-2012, 05:37 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Bartender on and off for 25 years. Stay at home mom and farmer. No more bartending for me
Old 04-01-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I love this thread, it's so interesting. I'm a grad student (finance) and work in the public sector. I would love to work with investments, but for now, I'm stuck with the government.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:17 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Let's just say that the TV show Parks and Recreation closely resembles my workplace.

Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Got my degree in Psychology and Anthropology. Went on to study Graphic Design and then Fashion Design.

Trained as a Fashion Buyer at a very elite company, the stress was ridiculous and my drinking increased (very counter-productive!). Eventually left after nine months, think I was about to have a mental breakdown at 23!

Worked for another start up Fashion Buying and Production company, just me assisting the two bosses who were a couple, a little awkward but good experience.

Moved to London, again in a Fashion Buying office, more on the Garment Technology side.

Moved to Taiwan to teach kids English. Have been here coming on three years, and love my life and lifestyle here. Started studying Chinese in December

I have just realized I am not suited to a high stress environment, so I am never going to be rolling in cash, but I feel for me it is more important to have a good day to day quality of life, and peace of mind, than be stressed out to the max!

Smiley
Old 04-01-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

I'm a "Pet Stylist".
Old 04-01-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober Sailor

Pizza Delivery Driver/Store Manager of a Papa Johns Restaurant for 2 years (2005-07). Binge Drinker

Fire Controlman in the United States Navy now for the last five years. Alcoholic Dependent/Binge Drinker. (Common as a Sailor). Going on Sober day two... again.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:40 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RevivingOphelia View Post
Joining this club.

Secondary Teacher/Dept. Head
Check! And society thinks teachers just chill out over summer break....=)
Old 04-06-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hopeless71 View Post
U.S. Navy and binge drinker 4 years

Police Officer, Father of one and binge drinker 7years

K9 Officer, Father of two and alcoholic 7 years

Federal Agent, father of three and non-drinking alcoholic 4 years to present (sober 3weeks)
My professional drinking started with a buddy in the Navy. So many of his peers drank SOO heavily. I was quickly indoctrinated and went from binge drinker to alcoholic rather quickly....still have the binge drinking ways in that I would try to not drink often...but had more and more trouble in between.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:44 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I am a pharmacist. Everyone always told me to follow my passion. Unfortunately, my passion is drugs/alcohol. I am fascinated by drugs, their interactions, primary effects, side effects, and pretty much anything about drugs. In fact, it actually makes me a fairly effective pharmacist. It is very contradictory, but I find that being surrounded by drugs does not necessarily increase my chances of abuse.

I attended approximately 7-8 years of college, and I am a bit of a science nerd.

I also raise ant colonies for personal research. I am trying my hand at scientific research in the field of pest control. I hope to strike it big by coming up with a method of controlling invasive fire ant populations.

I also craft and sell insect habitats via online sales.

I know... I know... I'm a nerd.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Pojman; are you a Pharm.D?