Notices

What is your occupation?

Old 03-29-2012, 07:25 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  
BHF

Worked various jobs through out college. Went into distribution (the legal kind) with UPS & Gap, Inc. Went back to school for law. Worked a couple years as a private attorney in family and criminal law. License has been suspended for 18 months due to multiple DUI's, but hope to return to law soon. Currently working a labor position in a landscaping nursery.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Financial Planner (stocks, bonds, 401ks, IRAs, retirement planning, estate planning, etc). Been in this industry for 18 years and thinking about moving on myself - maybe even moving across the country. We'll see.....
Old 03-30-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I'm a PhD student which includes but is not limited to:
  • Performing/reporting research (i.e., data analysis, reports, etc.);
  • Taking classes;
  • Teaching Assistant to undergrads (i.e., grading homework, labs, quizzes; teaching and supervising lab);
  • Mentoring Masters students in the same field; and
  • Generally functioning as my Major Professor's, well for lack of a better term and even though I love the guy, b****

When I'm not doing all that, I'm a stay at home dad for our 8 month old son because my wife works full time and is our main source of income (being a PhD student is pretty crappy pay lol)
Old 03-30-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

English/Journalism major (oh, the college parties)...then Real Estate and insurance salesman (man, do they drink...) then ran several offices for the biggest US home lender drinking (oh, the parties...), got sober in AA did some lending again for a small private company (zero parties) and then did sales in various departments for the largest communications company for 20 years (oh, the sober parties...).

Had enough money after turning 51 to retire and concentrate on having fun. Thinking seriously about going back to work now, 7 years later. Missing the parties.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:35 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Mechanical engineering student here. I love the material. I hope I love the job once I graduate.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I neglected to mention my field. It's Civil Engineering. I specialize in Geotechnical which for you laypersons means designing and constructing road embankments, structural foundations, etc. So basically I work with dirt.

Civil Engineers drink a lot, especially Geotechs. Construction Engineers are pretty bad too which is kind of my co emphasis (sarcastic yay). If only I had chosen Aerospace Engineering, then I would spending my evenings playing Dungeons and Dragons and drinking Mountain Dew Code Red. I kid, I kid. But seriously that sounds a heck of a lot better than spending $30 on a bottle of scotch, drinking it in one night, passing out, then waking up wondering, "Where are my pants? Why am I naked from the waist down?" No joke, that actually happened once. Oh, it's so much fun to laugh at my old self. Poking fun at myself makes me feel like my alcoholism is so far beneath me and I am so much better than it.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

CD,

Did you like your job once you got out of school? I've read a lot of mixed opinions on job satisfaction from engineers on this here internet.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Smile

Recovered alcoholic drug addict sober since 1981 at age 24. Now 55 years young. Retired from 15 years as counsellor / gestalt therapist / executive director alcohol and drug rehab recovery program street level clients. No completed formal education certificates / degrees / diplomas. High school dropout. College dropout. University dropout. Missed 2 grades in primary school. Polio survivor from early childhood. Awarded several education grants and sponsorships / scholarships. I have worked early on as a farm hand, and in carpentry, home renovations, and as a painter. Worked as foreman and supervised a bicycle repair shop. Worked in furniture manufacture and repair as foreman wooden chair department. Worked as a tele-marketer. Worked in small time advertising sales. Worked as a basic federal employee at a data-centre. Worked behind a cash register.

10 years served as a licensed Ontario Foster Parent providing a 3 bed specialized home for medically fragile (physically and/or psychologically) adolecents and troubled teenagers. This i did with my ex-wife.

Presently a private stock trader / investor with a robust 7 figure liquid portfolio which I personally manage. We (I remarried) have no debts. We have done very well with our invested stocks. Own three properties all sans mortgages. Currently selling our Martha's Vineyard property and we just had an offer yesterday. We counter offered back this morning, so the drama is exciting!

I am beginning my hand at writing a novel. I'm also contemplating coming out of semi-retirement and starting a consultation / life coach private enterprise initiative. I own a presently defunct website. I have some exciting upcoming corrective surgery slated this summer/fall.

Life is good. Sobriety rocks. All the promises have come true as promised. I am grateful.
Old 03-30-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention. Monday I'm going to go to the local rehab and offer to volunteer part time. Since I'm sure they test frequently it will help keep me straight as well as giving a little back.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DreamingDog View Post
CD,

Did you like your job once you got out of school? I've read a lot of mixed opinions on job satisfaction from engineers on this here internet.
Actually, I've never set foot into industry. I was finishing up my Bachelors degree just as the economy started to take a dump. 2008 really screwed the construction industry. So instead of searching for a job, I went to grad school. I got my Masters degree this last summer and I tested the job market a little but got no success. You see the first thing owners cut from the budget when building a structure or bridge is Geotech. Fools, they think that sacrificing a proper site investigation will save them money but in reality it forces them to have to compensate for that sacrifice by using less reliable data in the designs and therefore a larger factor of safety. That means an excessively conservative design with more concrete, more rebar, a bigger crane, a bigger piling hammer etc. which translates to....more money! Gee, I never would have guessed (I say in the most sarcastic manner possible). Grumble, grumble, grumble. Anyway, allow me to descend from my soapbox. So Geotech consulting firms are still suffering from 2008 and I once again I decided to stay in school and get my PhD (maybe I'm a masochist). I was a TA this past fall for the undergrad Soil Mechanics class and I loved it. I also am doing a lot of research which is great because it's essentially the state of the art in engineering and it's the ultimate form of problem which we engineers love. So considering all that, I'm actually considering staying in academia and becoming a professor (God help me) once I finish up.

So the advice that I would give you is that if you like your coursework then maybe try grad school. I'm not sure about Mechanical but in Civil, a Masters degree is pretty much mandatory if you want to advance. But you know it couldn't hurt. I remember reading an FMI (that's F*** My Life in case you've never heard of it) in which the person complained that they had been laid off for the sole reason because their company had hired someone with a Masters degree to replace them and therefore they had requested that their life be "F***ed." You might even get explore a specialty of Mechanical that you really might enjoy like robotics or something. But keep in mind that grad school is no easy task and requires a lot of work. I spent about 15 hours a day for a month writing my thesis. toothpastefordinner.com had a web comic once that just stated, "graduate school: it's like looking directly into the bulb of a high-powered flashlight for two years, only more expensive." I agree with the quote 100% but still fell that it's well worth it.

I never thought that I would end up as a doctoral student. I figured that I would get my degree after four years then start working right away. What really happened was that I got my Civil BS along with a Spanish BS, went to grad school, got married, got my Masters degree, had my first kid (in which my wife went into labor on the exact day the of the thesis deadline submission date), and stayed in school for my PhD. I did not see that coming, but I don't mind at all.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CorgiDad View Post
I also am doing a lot of research which is great because it's essentially the state of the art in engineering and it's the ultimate form of problem which we engineers love.
Dammit, I forgot a word. That should read, "I also am doing a lot of research which is great because it's essentially the state of the art in engineering and it's the ultimate form of problem solving which we engineers love."
Old 03-30-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by Sugah View Post
Geez, we're all over the map with some very startling concentrations in paralegal work and teaching!
I keep meeting lawyers in my home AA group. Amazing and sad all at the same time. I have to wonder how many others in the area I work are struggling without help.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  

I worked in restaurants which was a huge drinking culture. Then I got into real estate. I won't blame either career for my drinking, but I will say I would never touch either one again with a 10 foot pole, I love my sobriety too much!!
Now I work in insurance.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Started out in radio--DJ/Program Director--sex & drugs n' rock n' roll....then got into the Music Biz--record company promotion & marketing...more of the same & accepted behavior..so I did it. Tried to shift into low gear & opened a bait & tackle shop..But I was still there so I still drank...also managed a bar & restaurant during this time...nuff said. Sold cars for awhile, now sober I work in a law/real estate office...learning new stuff every day...
Old 03-30-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Have a degree in Sociology and worked in that field for two years. Then stay at home mom to three great kids!! Very active in PTO, and church activities. My drinking started After some very tragic events in my life!! I used drinking to cope with the sadness of losing so many relatives in such a short time!! I now have one grandchild and one on the way!! I am commited to getting healthy for myself and my wonderful family!!
Old 03-30-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

RN here.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
Pa**ot Momma

Admin for a construction company with alcohol at the ready. I really think at least two of the owners/high level people are alcoholics but don't admit it. Quit on 3/20. Best decision I ever made. Waiting to here on a job at a company where that just isn't tolerated still construction but residential.

As support for this, if you can imagine, I gave myself a black eye last summer. When can you ever imagine telling your boss the truth, hey I was drunk, tripped over the dog and bashed my head on the bed, and have him laugh and give you a high five.......
Old 03-30-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Interesting thread!

In between jobs now and that's the problem, I think. When I'm working steadily I'm not left to my own devices.

As for jobs I've held: Secondary English teacher and administrative assistant. Hoping to get into social work or counseling psychology.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Man, I have just dropped in after contributing right near the start...this made fantastic reading. It's so easy to just see each other as a community of addicts with a range of personalities, opinions and posting styles - this thread has really made me see the people. Beautiful. It's a real privilege to know all you guys.

Thanks

xx

ps - other teachers...what the hell is wrong with us???
Old 03-30-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I used to do customer service and/or secretarial assistance to head of company or managers until I couldn't work because of my alcoholism. And yes there was mucho stess in both of those jobs.

Once I got sober, went back to work in those fields and I could not handle it and stay sober. So took a minimum wage job in the field I was going into and went back to school.

I got my RN/BS degree after I was sober and worked for almost 21 years as an RN with her own company, do private home care of the terminally and/or the totally incapacitated. Now that is REAL stress! However, I almost never felt like drinking. I would get a thought that would flitter through my brain, but it was just that 'a thought' that I didn't need to act upon.

I had to retire early due to a lower back problem caused by osteo arthritis and diabetes that I did not realize I had. Now, I am resigned to NOT getting 'stress' or 'stressed out' as it affects my diabetes so negatively. (My blood sugar rises dramatically)

So I have learned some stress relievers and more importantly I use them:

Play with my fur kids.

Take my fur kids for a walk.

Going over and seeing and playing with my grand children. (they live only six blocks away, sometimes I walk over with the fur kids.)

Meditation.

Some Country Music on the radio or CD player. (You pick your own kind of music that soothes you)

A nice 'soak' at the end of the day in my oversize tub. Sort of a 'Calgon take me away soak.'

Go over to a friend's house and use her Jacuzzi. I have a key and can use anytime I want. She too is sober a long time now.

That is what I do to DE-stress. What do y'all do?

Love and hugs,