Notices

When to taper

Old 03-30-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
What exactly is the plan?
It's preferential, and understandably not advisable by this community's standards.

But for what it's worth: A personal 3-day detox rather than going to a doctor for detox. (Which I couldn't do over the weekend, anyway.) I would rather have had four beers yesterday (check), 2 today, and one tomorrow, then start off Sunday with zero (then only have zero from then on), than to drink through the weekend and wait until my doc can see me. I can't even come close to "catching a buzz" on 4 beers, much less 2 or 1. I gotta think of it as detox medicine, pure and simple. And if it doesn't work, I'll go to the doc early next week. Either way, I'm drinking a lot less than I have been!

I understand the potential trap. If successful, one might tell himself, "Hey, look, you responsibly drank just one beer in a day! You might be able to be a responsible drinker after all!" But I know that is not the case. It's all or nothing for me, and starting Sunday, it'll be nothing, but after having titrated the alcohol in my bloodstream according to medically established guidelines (if you average 6, go to 4, then 2, then 1, and wean off to avoid a withdraw "crash.").

I'm not trying to convince anyone this is the best plan of action, but it is a lot better than me just continuing to drink, which would normally be 12-15 beers daily over the weekend.

At least this way, if successful, I only have 1 all weekend. And I am committed to success. I understand everyone's hesitation. I really do.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:00 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

Problems can arise up to 14 days past the initial first day.

Best wishes!
Old 03-30-2012, 12:01 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

give us a post up on sunday mate, we'll be here to support ya
Old 03-30-2012, 12:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What if you're jonesing on day five?....Are you going to drink?...Or see a doctor?
Old 03-30-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Problems can arise up to 14 days past the initial first day.

Best wishes!
If problems arise, I will definitely see a doctor. Incidentally, both of my parent are doctors (one a neurologist), so I am the first to go in when there is a problem!

And I cannot go to a 14-day rehab. Job and pocketbook would have a hard time with that...

And I plan on going to a noon meeting on Sunday, and will keep everyone posted! Thanks again.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sapling View Post
What if you're jonesing on day five?....Are you going to drink?...Or see a doctor?
I don't consider an urge, no matter how strong, to mandate either option. I fully expect to be jonesing for many days, and understand it is part of the process. As I said, I expect to have as much psychological fallback as the next person, but, and I don't expect this, if I have a significant reaction to quitting, like DTs or seizures, I will of course go to a doc or the ER!

I don't consider jonesing a matter for a doctor, nor seizing a matter for a bottle... Maybe I am confused by the question.
Old 03-30-2012, 12:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForMyKids View Post
If problems arise, I will definitely see a doctor. Incidentally, both of my parent are doctors (one a neurologist), so I am the first to go in when there is a problem!
I'm not trying to be a pain in the ass here ForMyKids...I just don't understand why you'd wait for a problem to arise...A doctor can give you what you need to make detoxing easier...And more importantly...Safer.