Notices

Greetings, everyone! I'm a newbie.

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Greetings, everyone! I'm a newbie.

Hi, everyone.

I'm new in this forum. I think this can be a really good tool i can use in order to kick this disease that I have. I look forward to speaking with all of you. Let me tell you some things about me.

Starting with the most recent incident:

I was hospitalized for blowing a .38 bac and I was functional at that level. At my heaviest, I would drink roughly a litre bottle of liquor in a single night/morning. I just moved to a new city about a year ago and I promised myself that I would make sure everyone in the town knew my name... And now they do, but I'm known for all the wrong reasons and I'm pretty sure I've been thrown out of every bar in town. I try not to think about how much money I've spent at those bars, mostly because I can't remember. I've endangered the lives of my friends, as well as myself due to poor decisions I've made. My roommate just left my apartment due to the way I would act when I drank. I've been kicked out of University twice due to poor grades. I got a DWI at .09. Busted my car and have done 1500 dollars worth of damage due to drunk driving.... I have much much more to tell you guys but this list is getting long.

I'm 4 days sober as of right now, though not the longest amount of sobriety I've gone through, I really hope to use these message boards as a communication device that I can go to any time I'm feeling a craving.

I haven't been to AA but we can talk about that later. I've attempted to go to Outpatient rehab (willingly) but they refuse to give any help even though I've asked for help several times. They aren't willing to work with me unless I go to inpatient.

Again I look forward to speaking with all of you.

Thanks
Old 03-28-2012, 08:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DataDog

Good to have you with us - you'll find a lot of support here

SR can be a great help to stay sober - or point you in other directions for more help if you decide you need it

D
Old 03-28-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome DataDog -

Glad you're here and wanting to stop drinking (congrats on 4 days!). You'll find a lot of inspiration and support here from people who know what it's like. One day at a time, you can do it!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have been slowly changing my lifestyle over the past six months, I've severed my ties with friends of mine who are bad influences. I have also broke the habit of going to the bars over the weekend.

I would like to attend AA, but I'm sort of intimidated by the whole experience.

Summer's coming which means outdoor activities, I would like to try to take up some new hobbies to keep busy... I find that to be one of my hang-ups... I find it real easy to become bored, and it might even be up to the point where I'm manufacturing boring situations so that I can drink.
  # 6 (permalink)  
Random Guy

welcome to the group I am sure like Dee said you will get the direction, advice and commraderie that you need here. Its a cool website and community.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome DD
Old 03-28-2012, 08:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Welcome Data! I'm excited for you. And 4 days is great!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was a crying, scared mess the first few times I went to AA. I went to AA because my life was chaos and I didn't know what else to do. They told me to keep coming back and asked which meeting I was going to be at the next day. They said know where your next meeting is before you leave the meeting. I think everyone is scared, embarrassed, beaten, etc. when they walk through the doors of AA. No one's childhood dream is to be an alcoholic. The great thing about AA is everyone there has been that terrified newcomer walking through the door for the first time and they know how you feel. I think the most important step in early recovery is to find a program that works for you, commit to it, and follow through. I have 1 year sober today because I did what I was told at AA because my way was no longer working for me. Nothing changes if nothing changes. Good luck.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

1 year! congratulations!

How has your life changed for the better over the past year?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well, to start with I have my self-respect back. I no longer wake up in the morning full of guilt, shame, embarrassement, and remorse. I can remember the night before when I wake up which is a huge plus. My husband and kids actually want to be around me. Our financial situation has improved because I took up couponing as a hobby and stopped spending so much money on alcohol. I decided to go back to school to become a pharmacist which is something I never could have done when I was drinking. I am better at my job and not hung over. I have stopped playing the victim and blaming my problems on others. I am not showing up to my kids activities after drinking and embarrassing them and myself. I am not spending all my time and energy trying to hide alcohol from my husband and plan my next drink. Don't get me wrong life still happens and it isn't always good, but I can handle it better sober. In Novemeber my daughter, who is a competetive gymnast, overshot the vault and injured her neck. I was sober and could take her to the hospital and be thankful her injury wasn't life threatening. Before I stopped drinking I might not have been sober at 6:30pm and able to handle the situation and be the parent she needed. Most of all I am someone I can be proud of again.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

Hi DataDog,
I can't even tell you how many bars I've kicked out of. I tend to quickly wear out my welcome whatever neighborhood I move to. I've been kicked out by roommates before and spent entire paychecks in one night. Its not a sustainable lifestyle that's for sure. I wish I had sought help earlier...