Notices

It's been almost 2 weeks

Old 03-28-2012, 09:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's been almost 2 weeks

Hi, It's been almost 2 weeks since I decided 'finally' to give up the booze. How many times in the past have I promised myself that I would never drink again! This time I feel more positive having finally spoken to my doctor and also joining this site. Before, I tried to stop without any help or encourage ment and I can finally see that it's a problem that I do not have control over.
Today has been a good day, work wise and it's lovely and sunny. Am I relaxed and happy, not particulary. Normally I would crack open a few beers under the pretext that a few before tea time would be fine. Of course this then snow balls into far too much and then a black out. Only to wake up the next day and have to hear how rude I was and generally just not a very nice person.
Right now all I can think about is how nice a cold beer would be and how hard done by I am for not being allowed to drink.
Any words of help would be appreciated. Just typing this and sharing has brought some relief
Old 03-28-2012, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
So it goes

Alfie posting here or blogging helps for me. Someone will come and give you encouragement. There are lots of people here in the same boat. Find an alternative to booze. I drink green tea now. Congratulations on two weeks awesome !
Old 03-28-2012, 09:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Alfie, I found recovery through AA. That's their business.

I wish you the best in your chosen method of recovery.

Bob R
Old 03-28-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Nice what a great beginning to a new you. Maybe think about joining a program also. Its a great way to meet people that relate.

I know I do alot of things when the urge comes about, gym, pool, library ,park, and meetings always take it away.

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks. I took the dog for a very long walk and feel a lot more positive this evening.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congratulations on making the decision to become sober - its a long hard journey but defo worth the effort.

To help stay sober I suggest finding some new hobbies as it will occupy your mind and give you someting different to do. I really enjoy cycling and its great to wake up early on a weekend and go for a 10 mile bike ride through the forest - instead of missing most weekends as I was on a drug binge.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR alfie

D
Old 03-28-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Alfie. If you are feeling hard done by for not being allowed to drink it's probably because you are having misconceptions about what drinking was doing for you. One of my initial tools was to write a list of small things that made me genuinely happy (because drink never made me genuinely happy!) which I would do while the craving passed. Or otherwise I'd just get on SR and read my old posts to remind myself why I was giving up in the first place. Well done on 2 weeks btw