Notices

Ridding myself of poisons

Old 03-28-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
This is a timely post for me right now. I am at 130 days but I want to drink so bad right now I cant stand it.

I have a little vacation place that is a two hours drive. I can drink there and no one would know it. My mind is trying to convince me to go after work today and drink. I cant think of anything else right now
Please don't. The shame, the guilt. What it does to your body. You will end up right back where you were. If not worse. Believe me. You have come a long way. Don't blow all your hard work. Its just not worth it. Even after 5 days I am still foggy and unstable. I came back drinking 3 times what I drank before. It was quite scary.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
Please don't. The shame, the guilt. What it does to your body. You will end up right back where you were. If not worse. Believe me. You have come a long way. Don't blow all your hard work. Its just not worth it. Even after 5 days I am still foggy and unstable. I came back drinking 3 times what I drank before. It was quite scary.
Thanks friend. Very good post.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Great you're back, keep trying.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I have a little vacation place that is a two hours drive. I can drink there and no one would know it. My mind is trying to convince me to go after work today and drink. I cant think of anything else right now

I can picture myself on the porch drinking and smoking--in fact, I am fighting off going to get a six pack for the drive down there. Hard times today
No one else may know that you went and drank but *you* would. Instead of thinking of yourself on the porch drinking and smoking - play the drink through - think of yourself after you've had too many. How are you going to feel tomorrow?

Hard times today are waaaayyy better than a hangover and all the feelings of shame and guilt that go with it.

Maybe you can think of something different, fun, special to do today instead?

You can do this - you don't really want to drink. Keep posting and letting us know how you're doing.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thanks friend. Very good post.

:ghug3
Old 03-28-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Sober red no apologies. That's why we're here to learn from each other.

Sapling, I believe I do give back on this forum.
As far as fellowship, I go to church w/ other believers.

I think AA is great, like you said whatever works.
I've adapted things from both to Fit me.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dont want to hijack this thread...so Sober- how are you feeling without smoking? That was very hard for me to quit. I will tell you this, its been four months and I can think much clearer now- I know what you are going through
Old 03-28-2012, 09:17 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Dont want to hijack this thread...so Sober- how are you feeling without smoking? That was very hard for me to quit. I will tell you this, its been four months and I can think much clearer now- I know what you are going through
I'm pacing to floor and trying to find something to do. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week so it leaves me with 4 days off to mull around the house. Its more a boredom thing than anything. I am fine not smoking at work. It's when I am home and bored that I have a hard time with. Thank you for asking. Are you feeling any better? I hope you changed your mind.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberred View Post
I'm pacing to floor and trying to find something to do. I work 3 12 hour shifts a week so it leaves me with 4 days off to mull around the house. Its more a boredom thing than anything. I am fine not smoking at work. It's when I am home and bored that I have a hard time with. Thank you for asking. Are you feeling any better? I hope you changed your mind.
I have changed my mind. I am not going to drink today and I appreciate the help given to me on "your" thread.

If you can go two weeks without a cigarette you will start noticing positive changes in your brain. I cant explain it, but it was a great feeling. I took Welbutrin to help me. It was great- even if I tried to smoke the cigarettes didnt do anything for me...kind of like smoking a straw (just a bad taste in my mouth). Being home so much has to be difficult. I would get in my car and smoke- that was hard for me to stop- now I look at other people smoking in their car and I feel great that I dont have to do that.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:35 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I have changed my mind. I am not going to drink today and I appreciate the help given to me on "your" thread.

If you can go two weeks without a cigarette you will start noticing positive changes in your brain. I cant explain it, but it was a great feeling. I took Welbutrin to help me. It was great- even if I tried to smoke the cigarettes didnt do anything for me...kind of like smoking a straw (just a bad taste in my mouth). Being home so much has to be difficult. I would get in my car and smoke- that was hard for me to stop- now I look at other people smoking in their car and I feel great that I dont have to do that.
So glad you changed your mind. That has made my heart sing. You rock!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hello i was wondering if you could let me know what AVRT is and if you could give me some insight in where to find the info on it................... thanx

Originally Posted by sadsoul2011 View Post
Glad you're back!

Sorry you're struggling to find the "key" to quitting. I second the AVRT suggestion. I haven't tried other programs so I can't speak to other options.

But - for me - once I realized that I am in control of my physical actions and thoughts, I felt empowered. I mean ... I control myself in every other area of my life - I would never shoplift, deliberately run a red light, etc...

..... so why not make the decision that I will never drink again??

You can be the wonderful, healthy, sober person that you want to be!!! Keep posting and letting us know how you are.

p.s. On giving up everything...must admit that I would struggle with giving up so much at once. I *LOVE* my coffee!
Old 03-28-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

i have been sober for a while now and and it was hard to make the decision to be, but it has been the best decision that i have ever made it was hard at first but it became easier after time had gone by but love that there is so much help on this site for people to communicate and to have other support for them
Old 03-28-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
~sb

nicole, go to the Secular Forum (scroll down from the Newcomer's Forum). Lots of good stuff there. Or do a search: AVRT and read about it!