Notices

Uncomfortable Reminder

Old 03-28-2012, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Uncomfortable Reminder

Hi yall- I have been sober for just about 4 1/2 years and I had an interesting experience just a few days back that I want to share. After all this time, I discovered another "first".

I picked up a bottle of mineral water at the grocery store to give it a try. It was a 12 oz. glass bottle, and when I got home, I used the bottle opener and took a swig. Immediately, I felt weird and uncomfortable. Then I realized - I hadn't had a drink of anything out of a bottle since beer. The ritual of using the opener and drinking straight from a glass bottle upset me. I didn't trigger a desire to drink - Thank God! - but it made me stop and think about how grateful I am for sobriety and to be moving forward in recovery. It brought back a lot of uncomfortable memories of drinking.

It's all good now, but I just needed to share and thank everyone here - SR has always been a huge part of my recovery.

Jomey
Old 03-28-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's unreal...It's hard to spot me without a bottle of water in my hands...I'm lost without it....Congrats on 4 and half years....It's all good.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh yeah, only my water bottles are the sports type, reusable with the straw attached...it was the glass and the opener ritual, I think that got me...thanks for the congrats!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks.
I have some non alcoholic ginger beer in the fridge .We sit on the harbour wall in our small town and stare out to sea the kids have an ice cream ,my wife a beer or wine ,as I used to
It's peaceful .
I have checked the bottles over and over again making sure they aren't alcohol, because you cannot tell the difference and I've already decided not to buy any more as I imagine that this is how nightmares begin.
I'm amused and happy about the situation.
John.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:43 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jomey View Post
Oh yeah, only my water bottles are the sports type, reusable with the straw attached...it was the glass and the opener ritual, I think that got me...thanks for the congrats!
That's funny isn't it...The thing about us alkies...It's always there. I have this old timer in my HG he always introduces himself as a permanent alcoholic..I guess that sums it up.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 1/2 years...its amazing what "brings it all back". Myself, I use plastic mostly for my bottle and soda so its a non issue...except when i have an old fashioned rootbeer...no reminders tho thankfully.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

(((Jomey))) - congrats on 4-1/2 years! Though my DOC was crack, I still have the occasional reminders of it and it's like "whoa! Where did THAT come from?!?" Once I get over the shock of even thinking about it, though, I'm grateful it's just a thought...don't have to act on it

Hugs and prayers,

Amy