Notices

Celebrating failure....why

Old 03-28-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Hmm. Interesting discussion. I don't think I've personally perceived anything here as "celebrating" a relapse, but as others have said, it seems more a welcoming back and encouragement to keep trying. And no doubt I've seen plenty of people get "firm" with members who seem to be unrealistic or somewhat delusional in their line of thinking (myself included).

But I don't for a second think that a supportive and compassionate attitude here at SR makes it "too easy" for people to relapse. I think you'd be giving this board WAAAAY too much credit in dictating whether someone will relapse or not. If someone is going to relapse and then conveniently point their finger at SR, then I think there's a serious lack of personal responsibility.

6palms, I'm getting the impression that you felt that you needed a firm kick-in-the-bum in terms of your relapse.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:07 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by midgetcop View Post
6palms, I'm getting the impression that you felt that you needed a firm kick-in-the-bum in terms of your relapse.
If this is true 6palms...Send me a PM...I'll give you one.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:14 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
6palms,

It sounds like you are more concerned with the behavior of others, rather then your own. Are you in a program of recovery, like AA, that will help you develop the tools that you need to stay sober? I think that should be your focus.

At 6 days sober, you are not yet a wise sage whose wisdom through reflection and experience serves to guide others. God gave us 2 ears and 1 mouth and one thing I try to do in my recovery is use them in that proportion.

I hope you don't, but at 6 days sober there's a pretty good chance you will relapse. If you do, come back here and this community will welcome you and share their collective experience, strength and hope so that sobriety will become permanent. There is a saying in AA that "we don't shoot our wounded."
Sorry for the "French" (why is it French?) but Damn Straight!!!!!
Old 03-28-2012, 08:25 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nirvana1 View Post
For me, it's based off my own experience. I tried everything I could to cut down or quit drinking on my own will power. I was very stubborn and always thought I could figure out all the answers to my own problems. I probably suffered an extra 1,000 hangovers because of my unwillingness to seek help or ask for suggestions.
I tried everything - Campral, Naltrexone, Antabuse, therapy, outpatient, inpatient, and every other snake oil remedy (Rational Recovery et al). OCD + depression + alcholism ain't got no answers. My only two options are to Hold Fast (very precariously) or die.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I also will ditto TU's comment, and add I try to live by the 4 absolutes. Love, purity, honesty, and unselfishness. If you want someone to be ugly to the return person go ahead not me.
Old 03-28-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 6palms View Post
I know that this post will have a sh!tstorm of responses...
Could it be that this is your reason for posting?

Is it really "great to see them back?"
You bet your bippie!

I appreciate the caring people on this site for sure, but your logic that people relApsing Is the rule, rather than the exception is telling.
No - it's accurate. I had an extended argument in outpatient about this and now have to admit that they were right "Relapse is a part of recovery". Seems like you are in the same kind of denial that I was.

????? I just think that sometimes we make it too easy to fail....we r all making bad decisions regarding alcohol...someone needs to say, "we love you but enough is enough".
How did that work for you?

...let's be realistic..when someone "fails" let's pick them up, but not celebrate them...
Then why does every AA meeting that I ever attended celebrate the person "coming back"?
Old 03-28-2012, 11:54 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
I tried everything - Campral, Naltrexone, Antabuse, therapy, outpatient, inpatient, and every other snake oil remedy (Rational Recovery et al).
Charon, are you saying that all of the above are snake oil, or only RR?

I don't mind either way, but I do prefer clarity over ambiguity.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Some people do quit the first time out. There is at least one, I can tell you for sure. I am not sure if relapsing is part of recovery, I think it is part of drinking.

But on the other hand, 'There was much rejoicing of the lamb that once was lost', and so on like that. You might have heard only the welcome back party, but there is a strong contingent that will also say, Yes you are back and that is great, but what is going to be different this time?
Old 03-28-2012, 03:36 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Terminally Unique View Post
Charon, are you saying that all of the above are snake oil, or only RR?

I don't mind either way, but I do prefer clarity over ambiguity.
Actually, I must appologize. RR is not snake oil, nor are any of the other things I referred to. I'm simply bitter that none of them worked for me. The snake oil is internal. Sometimes I wish I had never been born - less often I think I should do something about that. Still I hold on in the hope that one day ...
Old 03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

1) Bagging on people isn't productive. If all it took to beat addiction was to have people chastise you for your failures, addiction wouldn't exist. It's like a well-intentioned parent trying to shame their child into straightening out. It may be done out of love, but that doesn't make it work.

2) I don't see a relapse as failure. I see it as a bump in the road. As far as I'm concerned, I haven't failed until I give up trying. In the course of recovery, relapse is such a strong possibility that it needs to be accounted for & addressed. Again - what's more productive... giving people the confidence to get right back up on that horse by pointing out what they did right up the point they faltered, or undermining what little confidence they may have left?
Old 03-28-2012, 04:16 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I welcome people back because I am glad they're back. I'm not anyone's sponsor; it's not my place to criticize anyone on a website for the choices they make.
Old 03-28-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I know that this post will have a sh!tstorm of responses...but why do you coddle the failures (relapses) on this site? I would rather get pissed about getting their sh!t together and encouraging them to do it right and do it more focused...and get rid of the " welcome back bullish!t"
Man, I don't even know where to begin. "Welcome back bullsh!t"? And relapse isn't a failure at all. To truly fail, would be to not try at all. How often have you perfected something the first time you tried it? Probably never.

You sound a little angry, so I'll let you cool off for a while. Once you do, maybe your outlook will change a little bit. (Hopefully.)
Old 03-28-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Administrator

For what's it worth Charon I used to often wish I'd never been born - but my perspective's got a lot better - my recovery, and the support, care and love I've found at SR, have a lot to do with that

stick with it

D
Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

but why do you coddle the failures (relapses) on this site? I would rather get pissed about getting their sh!t together and encouraging them to do it right and do it more focused...and get rid of the " welcome back bullish!t" I know that I would be one of the posts since i have 6 days followed by a return to dridrink, but it's almost like...we knew you'd be back, try to go longer before you fail this time. Venting...obviously...but wondering how healthy it is...
Quote from a movie... we're alcoholics, we're generally satisfied to hurt ourselves. ... So when/or if we do relapse it is nice to know where to go for the support and know you will be welcomed back!... Know big party/coddling as you refer to it... just people saying they understand and glad you made the choice to come back for help and support. You were wondering how "healthy it is"..umm to welcome them back ..sorry.. your words was coddle the failure(relapses) ..... I'm sure it is alot more healthier to get a warm supportive welcome reception then some tough love,harsh comment that would possibly make someone run away ...because thats not really support.....is it!
Old 03-28-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Charon View Post
Actually, I must apologize. RR is not snake oil, nor are any of the other things I referred to. I'm simply bitter that none of them worked for me.
No need to apologize. Something I had to accept was that this thing I was dealing with was not going to go away or be removed. I eventually had to learn to live comfortably with it. I hope you find your peace, Charon, whatever that may be.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

When I first came to SR last August 10 I was lonely, isolated, sick, really scared and close to suicidal. I laid it on the line for the first time in four years (I have relapsed after 8 years sober and after 9 years sober). I was so afraid, I wanted to say "please someone, tell me I can do this", and to just not feel so alone and worthless. I was on my way off of this planet, and the love, understanding and wisdom I found on SR truly saved my life. I was so fragile (actually, I still am working on that, aren't we all?). And there have been times in this last seven months that I was so afraid of relapse that I got on here and made it through the night without drinking. Maybe I rely on SR too much, I don't know. And I am working on getting f2f help - I am just stuck right now, whatever. Anyway, for all you good souls that have encouraged me, have posted your experience and made me see something I didn't even realize I didn't see, thank you. I know I am not alone in this - I felt as close to worthless and hopeless as I had ever felt when I got on SR. I don't know what I would have done without the support and understanding I got. I love you guys.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:54 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Sissy...For what it's worth...You keep me sober.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

The idea is to keep people here on SR so they can help themselves get sober, even if it takes a few tries. People need help and they need to feel supported and understood so that's why we welcome them back. That's how I would want to be treated. Lots of great thoughts in this thread.
Old 03-28-2012, 06:36 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Like many others, I posted on a lot of "day 1" and "day 3", ad nauseum.

The kindness from the people who responded broke my heart - it really brought home how desperately lonely I was (even though that was my fault by drinking).

I came here because strangers typing on a screen gave me something I needed. I think they're just wonderful.

I get plenty of hardass from myself and at work. I returned here for the gentleness.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the responses...based in your feedback I understand that : when we welcome folks back it is a celebration that they are still "in the fight" and are still working towards recovery. Got it.

Actually love the information and caring attitude on this site...wasn't trying to p!ss every1 off ( but i apparently was successful in doing so none-the-less )

Big Plan day is 4/2....46th birthday....