Notices

16 days - Observations

Old 03-27-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

16 days - Observations

16 days today. I have been a pretty heavy binge drinker for a long time. Not everyday - but when I do - wow.

Here is what I've noticed thus far.

1. Terrible sleep first week - then much improved. Getting a solid 8 now with much less tossing and turning.

2. Thinner in the face and waist - belt a little looser.

3. OMG HUNGRY HUNGRY HUNGRY all the time.

4. I have a noticeable increase in energy and drive. I just came off some really heavy work days and I was not nearly as exhausted as normal at the end. Also seem to be handling them with more cheerfulness than normal.

5. I am breaking out everywhere. Zits/bumps/whatever on my back, behind my ears and on my forehead. Haven't had that stuff since teen years (I am 40 now)

Generally feeling good - although anxious about some scheduled social time coming up. Other people's thoughts and opinions welcomed.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Congratulations on 16 days! Thanks for sharing your experience and welcome to SR!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good post. I am an avid golfer. So much so that I actually video tape myself at the driving range to analyze my swing. Well,the other night I was comparing my swing this year to last year. The thing that I noticed wasn't my swing, it was how much more bloated I looked. I weight the same, but I look much more "puffy". I hope to have 16 days under my belt soon so the bloat goes away!

Good job to you!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 22. Got the zits like you around the 2 week mark as well as sleeping better. I went to a social event this past weekend. I went to a bar. It was really hard and I still don't know how I didn't drink. Social events suck in early soberiety. Well done on day 16!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

As far as your social time goes, pph39, I would recommend planning ahead. If I know I'm going to feel tempted to drink in a certain situation I try to talk to someone about it beforehand (usually my therapist, although a sponsor or good friend would work too) and also report back afterwards to tell them how it went. I also make an escape plan, which sounds silly, but I really need to have the means and ability to leave at any time and a convenient excuse to do so. If I feel trapped it's harder for me to stay sober for some reason.

Best wishes!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I gave up socializing in early recovery, it was too hard for me. I decided my sobriety was more important to me than a party or night out with my friends. It has been a year and alot of people stopped inviting my husband and I out, but I am okay with that. I would rather be home sober than out uncomfortable in a social situation. Early recovery is hard enough with out the added pressures of socializing around alcohol, but not drinking. Recovery involves tough choices and learning how to live a new sober life. I had to learn to slow down and pull back from the chaos my life had become. It takes time to learn how to live a sober, happy life. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amy2011 View Post
I gave up socializing in early recovery, it was too hard for me. I decided my sobriety was more important to me than a party or night out with my friends. It has been a year and alot of people stopped inviting my husband and I out, but I am okay with that. I would rather be home sober than out uncomfortable in a social situation. Early recovery is hard enough with out the added pressures of socializing around alcohol, but not drinking. Recovery involves tough choices and learning how to live a new sober life. I had to learn to slow down and pull back from the chaos my life had become. It takes time to learn how to live a sober, happy life. Good luck.
Congrats on a year!!! That's amazing. I wanted to ask you if your husband had given up alcohol too? My husband hasn't drank since I decided to give up and he is totally fine with not drinking again. But I hate that he has to give up alcohol too because it's easier for me to give it up.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went and am still going through the same things at day 66. I was so happy to get a normal nights sleep, that was a big pay-off! Then the energy too, awesome..I went from being as physical as a tree stump to actively snowboarding again, riding a bicycle and going for long walks every night. Thank god I was spared the breaking out, I didn't get that. I also noticed the slimmer face and belt line, but I don't need to lose weight, I need to gain it! So I'll have to work on that part. I also look way better and healthier, light years better! I didn't think anyone else but me would notice but I ate at the mall food court yesterday - 3 girls at a table in front of me looking over and whispering to each other, and another one staring at me while she was waiting for her food to be made at the counter. I thought I must have had food all over my face or something, but I didn't

Woo Hoo
Old 03-27-2012, 11:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Random Guy

I am right there with you around day sixteen I can go along with your list, a little less on the breaking out but there is some, it is already clearing up. I have yet to establish a good sleeping schedule but th sleep I do get is very restfull and I don't still feel tired after anymore. The hunger deffinetly, I never used to eat breakfast, not I have to or by 10 I am looking for anythig to munch on. All part of the process I guess. congrats on 16 days like I said before right there with you I don't know my day count as I am avoiding doing that but I know I am on my third week. eventually I hope to forget that to and just "be sober" however long it has been.