Notices

Will the boredom go away?

Old 03-27-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's funny how I never seemed bored at the time but I can never understand how just sitting there drinking could have been considered fun.:
Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

I lived vicariously in my mind when I drank. Other times I made sure I was doing something. I've never believed in "boredom" as I believe it simply doesn't exist and never has for me. I define it as the mind's inability to tell the body what to do.

Motivation, well, that's something else and I retaught myself this by just getting up and doing something. Tonight, I will clean the entire bathroom (it's small, but needs help), bake a cake for home group meeting for tomorrow night, call some people and watch some tv, get ready for tomorrow's workday (make a lunch, prepare the morning's coffee pot, take care of me, pray and meditate)...after working today and then volunteering some time for a few hours (plus the 2 it takes in transit--1 hour each way). And of course, the cat needs some play time, too. All in a day of sobriety! (and I'll be on here later, too!)
Old 03-27-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Matt, I find boredom challenging too. I'm a shift worker and often have lots of time off in the middle of the week, when everyone else is at work. Being alone around the house would get to me. I'd easily pick up a drink and 'pace' myself 'til my wife would get home. I've got hobbies - I like wood working and have a ton of tools, I like exercise, play hockey 3 times a week etc., but still experienced that boredom. I'm on day 9 today. And I think the boredom I felt was me trying to justify a drink. So in saying that, when I feel that boredom now I leave the house. I go for a drive or a coffee or go to the hardware store or anything at all to break the routine. It's worked so far. I hope I don't run out of gas Hang in there.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I feel the same boredom too.

Like I had mentioned in another post. I am unemployed right now and it is so very hard to find any kind of employment right now even though I have an excellent and stable background job history. I would be happy with three p/t jobs just to stay busy since I do not have a lot of money for hobbies at this time. I would love to make candles, bath salts, soaps and I do try to walk and lift weights when I am not looking for a job. However, I know that there are a lot of men on this site too and their hobbies are definitely not going to be the same as mine are. Everyone can take a long walk or get some exercise and prepare some good healthy greens for dinner or what not though. However, it is sometimes easier said than done when you are as new as sobriety as I am. You really do not know what to quite expect especially when people have different level of drinking problems. I feel that it will all work out after a while of being sober though. Even when i miss a drink, I also think about how good I feel compared to actully drinking already.
Old 03-28-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you for all the responses! Congrats VJ99 on day 9... That first weekend must of been difficult. Breaking the routine does seem to help, im schedule appointments and making sure im not at home alot. I played 4 hours of mass effect last night and watched a documentary... today for the Munich game I bought two six packs of perrier (helps substitute for beer ) and friday Im seeing bill burr down in deleware... just need to figure something out for Saterday

Thanks again for all the responses.... Ive also discovered since i quit drinking I grind the crap out of my teeth, guess from the anxiety
Old 03-28-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

yes i know what you mean about the whole boredom thing and i hated it too when i first got into recovery but as you go to classes and meet new people in na groups you start seeing that there actually is alot more to do when your clean you just have to want to be different and see that when you are in the change of recovery ...... well what im trying to get at is.. it is hard at first to cope with but it gets easier as you go