Notices

hello

Old 03-27-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hello

Hey everyone, I'm new here. I need to stop drinking. I have major surgery (spinal - 10 hour surgery) in 3 months and I'm so afraid that my liver will give out on the table. I've been drinking about 2-3 cups of vodka a day for the past 6 years. I also abused pain meds (oxycodone), which I stopped about 3 years ago - that was VERY hard to quit. I went to a doctor for a physical and help. She seemed ill informed of what alcohol addiction drugs were available, so prescribed nothing. She ordered the regular blood tests and said that there were no indication of liver problems. She also said there was no way to tell if my liver were OK for surgery. I think she is wrong. I read that there are liver function blood tests. Do any of you know about this? I can't imagine that they would take an alcoholic into a 10 hour surgery without testing. Also, she gave me Ativan for anxiety. I've taken it, but I'm an alcoholic - I'm also an addict - I think she made a poor choice to give me something that is very addictive. I took to much of course, but while taking it I could stop drinking - but now I'm out and can not get more - it is a controlled substance. Anyway, any ideas, advice? I need to stop everything cold turkey. How do you get through life without ANY DRUG? I can't imagine coping with life without ANYTHING.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jessieb View Post
I need to stop everything cold turkey. How do you get through life without ANY DRUG? I can't imagine coping with life without ANYTHING.
Welcome to SR jessieb....Two things...I would check with another doctor...Be totally honest about your usage history and what you want to do...And you can live and cope without any drugs or alcohol...I know that for fact...Because I'm doing it. Glad you're here...It's a good place.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi jessieb - Sapling's right - there most definitely is life after alcohol and drugs. A better life, lived without being numb & in a fog. I never would have believed it either - now I can't imagine why I thought it was necessary to do that to myself.

I agree you should get another opinion. I don't blame you for not having faith in what you've been told.

Let us know what happens. This is a caring place with many wonderful people who understand just what you're going through.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please talk to another dr who has better information about addiction.

And, for sure you can live a good life without drugs or alcohol.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome jessieb

I agree with the advice here - definitely do get another opinion...and yes there is life after drink and drugs - many many of us here couldn't imagine life without being drunk or high (me included) but it's very very possible

It's not always easy sure - but there's a ton of support here, Jessie - you're not alone

D
Old 03-27-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

I second the second opinion!!
Old 03-27-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I third that opinion....and Welcome!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. Its good to know I am not alone. I think this forum will really help get me through rough times!
Old 03-28-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I had a sonogram two years ago to check the size of a 5 pound fibroid in my abdomen. They took it out with no Problems but when I went to my regular doctor after that she said it had showed a fatty liver and my triglycerides were sky high. So there are tests that can check the condition of your liver. I went through the surgery fine but have since gotten my triglycerides down to normal. Be honest with your doctor about your concerns
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Heya

I had liver function tests done just before I had a major operation last year. My readings came back higher than the upper limits. They knew about my drinking history and proceeded with the operation. I flew through the operation with flying colors and I am healthy today, thankfully. I think it is imperative to tell the doctors about every single detail about your past. I admitted to bad drug addictions and alcohol abuse for a large part of my adult life, and they took this into consideration for their preparation.

Don't worry, all is not lost. I was thinking the exact same thing as you. My liver is still here, and my life is better.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh and welcome . I was also a big vodka drinker too
Old 08-10-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone...

Thank you to those that responded to me many months ago! I obviously did not continue to come here and so, did not see the kind support you guys gave me 5-6 months ago. I'm here again after much drinking and hope to stop. I still need surgery - 2 surgeries - front and back to correct spinal deformities. I am looking for a good Dr. - am still worried about liver but it is so reassuring to hear success stories. Having a bad night tonight - drank and fought with H. I hate myself now... not sure how to heal from this one - too many things said. Hate myself most of all for saying things/arguing in front of kids (12 & 15).