Notices

Need some advice

Old 03-28-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I want to thank everyone for all the positive energy and advice that was provided in this thread. I'm on day 6 of not drinking and about day 5 of not smoking. I'm trying to come to the realization that I don't drink like a normal person and it's very tough for me. I became very depressed when I realized how much I rely on alcohol for relief and happiness and it made me feel very hopeless for a while but I'm doing much better today. I do think I have a problem with alcohol, I'm not having extreme cravings or anything but I notice when there's nothing to do in the day or if I don't have much to do the next day then my thoughts turn immediately to getting wasted. Recently I had begun to drink the day before I had to do something important and I'd just rough it out through the hangover, so I think it was starting to progress into something much worse.

I'm still trying to muster up the courage to get involved with a group, I don't want to attach myself to a group and then end up letting them down or not taking it seriously enough. I do think I need others to help me through this though and I might just use this board for that community for right now. I'm trying to let caffeine go as well but I find myself having a much harder time with that, so I'm just slowing it down for now. I read up on nicotine and alcohol withdrawals and saw that my brain will be going through some crazy things in the future since I'm not plugging it up with smoke and drink so I'm hoping I can hang in there. Whenever I think about drinking I just try to think about how stupid and dehydrated I will feel the next day and how the little money I have will be wasted and that has worked as a deterrent so far. Again, thanks for the advice and support, it means a lot and I don't feel so alone with this anymore.