Notices

How do I find peace of mind and become more focused?

Old 03-26-2012, 02:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just wanted to add I was foggy and unco-ordinated for a while, PT

As I have cerebral palsy anyway, it made for some Chaplinesque moments for a while...

I figured I'd drunk for years and that it was reasonable to expect a period of readjustment and recuperation - things did coalesce and coordinate...in time

D
Old 03-26-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I just wanted to add I was foggy and unco-ordinated for a while, PT

As I have cerebral palsy anyway, it made for some Chaplinesque moments for a while...

I figured I'd drunk for years and that it was reasonable to expect a period of readjustment and recuperation - things did coalesce and coordinate...in time

D
Nothing to add Dee, just wanted to give you some props on the Uber Awesome avatar! Jimmy was The OG, most definitely.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

You're stressed out, Pigtails. Everyone gets stressed out. It's just a sign that you're normal.

My last job I was doing job performance coaching at a call center -- a pretty high stress environment. What I told the people I was coaching was to try to arrive at work 10 minutes early each day and spent 10 minutes relaxing, meditating or praying or just sitting silently and take the time to think through the day. So often I think we rush from one thing to the next, but if we force ourselves to really take the time to slow down, focus and think through the stress we actually end up being more productive and more satisfied. Anyone who tried it at work always said it was a big help to them in their day.

Might be worth a shot.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

PT:
My first sponsor told me that if I kept coming to AA meetings that I would come to a point where I could control my emotions instead of them controlling me.....
That I could choose the thoughts that populated my head instead of the thoughts controlling me.

Turns out that all my life the tail had wagged the dog !! After a while in AA it started to change around. Know what I mean??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

How to control your emotions, rather than having them control you, is something that I learned from "A New Earth".

In early recovery, I still felt at the whim of the feelings passing through me. In that book, I learned that I could feel the emotion, recognize it, and let it go. It was a huge break-through for me. I was able to take a step back from my emotions.

Pigtails, you're doing great!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Hi Pigtails. I also tend to overwhelm myself and get flustered. And, like you, I've had most my mishaps while NOT drinking. (misjudged distance between car and object twice) I told myself for years I needed a drink prior to doing things to avoid these mishaps. I'm still having mishaps (stumbled/fell during walk last week) but I'm becoming convinced I don't NEED alcohol for anything. Don't let anyone tell you differently either.

You've got much more sober time than me and I follow your progress seeing that it can be done despite life's difficulties. Thanks to you for that.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Meditation and prayer help me a lot. Spending quiet time alone reflecting on positive things, rather than negatives, has a great way of turning your attitude around.

I read this quote today on the Hazelden website and it seems to speak to where you are at right now (and where many of us have been or will be). I hope it is of some help to you.

It takes time, love, and support to find peace with the restless one.
—Deidra Sarault

"Restlessness is born of frustration. Perhaps we want to move ahead with our lives more quickly. Does a job have us trapped? Do past troubles haunt us still? Maybe perfectionism tarnishes every attempt to achieve. We can learn from our restlessness, if we let it guide us to our inner reservoir of peace and spiritual support.

The search for serenity often takes us farther from it. We mistakenly think a different job or home or relationship will answer all our needs. But we find that our restlessness has accompanied us to our new surroundings. Peace has its home within. And prayer opens the door to it. In the stillness of our patience, we are privy to its blessing.

Restlessness indicates our distance from our Higher Power. It may be time for a change in our lives. Change is good; however, our relationship with God will vouchsafe any needed changes. Restlessness is self-centered and will only hamper the steps we may need to take.

Restlessness is a barometer that reveals my spiritual health. Perhaps prayer is called for today."
Old 03-27-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Daily exercise, daily meditation, eating right, adequate sleep. I've learned that for me I have to make the effort and make a habit of doing these things, because peace of mind unfortunately doesnt' come naturally for me. If I don't make the conscious effort to take good care of myself, I feel bad, get bad anxiety, low self esteem, ect. I've done a number on my brain chemistry.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewLifeAt60 View Post
Hi Pigtails. I also tend to overwhelm myself and get flustered. And, like you, I've had most my mishaps while NOT drinking. (misjudged distance between car and object twice) I told myself for years I needed a drink prior to doing things to avoid these mishaps. I'm still having mishaps (stumbled/fell during walk last week) but I'm becoming convinced I don't NEED alcohol for anything. Don't let anyone tell you differently either.

You've got much more sober time than me and I follow your progress seeing that it can be done despite life's difficulties. Thanks to you for that.
I'm so glad my posts help you. Thanks for the encouragement!!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone!

I am feeling so much better today. Last night I went to a meeting and then met with my sponsor; I am now on Step 3. My sponsor's sponsor met up with us and it turns out she gave my sponsor some meditation CDs -- guided imagery -- to listen to at night to help calm her down. I mentioned that I have night terrors and insomnia at night, and she said they can help me too. So my sponsor gave me one of the two CDs -- "healthful sleeping" -- to listen to and she took the other one, "Immune System," and then we are going to switch. I feel like things really do happen for a reason!

This morning I woke up and did some reading in the Big Book, some journaling and some meditation and prayer. I took my time getting ready - a long shower, put on my makeup in my bathroom instead of my car ha ha, ate breakfast - and really tried to relax and enjoy the morning and get ready for the upcoming day.

My sponsor and her sponsor were also talking about Hot Yoga, Buddhism and mediation. I have a lot I want to start doing to become more peaceful, but I'm trying to make small changes.