Notices

New to sobriety :/

Old 03-26-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy New to sobriety :/

Hi. I've just started a home detox off the alchohol. I've been drinking 9 % lager since noah noticed it was raining. I can't go to the doctors cause I've already lost my driving licence cause my psychiatrist told the driving agency I smoked 1 joint a night to stop night terrors I'm supposed to get it back 14th may this year,been without for 6 months . I've got depression & anxiety issues,always have had (well at least since I was 7 years old). I've been hospitalised with an inflamed pancreas(they didn't warn me about that one!) & I've got liver damage. We've got a baby boy due on the 4 august,so have got to get it together. I've lost most if not all of my friends cause of the depression,so only have my GF to talk to. I swing between rage & laying on the floor in a ball crying on an hourly basis. I've lost interest in most things. I spent ££££££££'s on RC cars,they just sit gathering dust. I'm stuck in the house all day cause of the lack of licence & I **** my GF off,so she's out all day . Hopefully this'll be the first step in a new way of life:ghug3.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your in the right place. Welcome. Are you open to going to AA meetings? My husband has RC cars that just collect dust too. He has too many hobbies. Lol. You should brush off the dust on those things. They are fun!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome NOFX

If you're stuck in the house all day just stick around SR and I'm sure you'll learn lots to help you in your new found sobriety.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

welcome mate glad you found us, yeah it definetly sounds like you've had enough of the demon drink and want start a new way of life in sobriety! well...you've come to the right place buddy! plenty of support here to help you stop n stay stopped, what day did you quit? that rage n sadness is perfectly normal in the early days, it will soon pass mate
Old 03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome NOFX -

I know it's hard to believe right now, but there really is a better life waiting for you! I'm glad you're here - this place has gotten me through almost 2 years of sobriety and I know you'll find the same kind of support.

What about having your GF get you to the doctor (or emergency room)? Alcohol detox can be dangerous stuff..... It's the last thing we want to do, but it's also the smartest.

One step at a time, you can do this!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome NOFX

I'm not sure of the problem with the Dr as I'm not in the UK & I've never heard of anything like your story - but I really urge you - if you feel unwell or concerned - to see a Dr anyway, especially with your medical issues...detox can be dangerous for some of us & nothings more important than your health

D
Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Call the AA hotline and ask if someone can take you to a hospital for detox, then they can help you get to meetings after detoxing. Search: aa where you live

Welcome to SR!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Call the AA hotline and ask if someone can take you to a hospital for detox, then they can help you get to meetings after detoxing. Search: aa where you live

Welcome to SR!
What Sugarbear1 said. Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-26-2012, 05:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us. It sounds like you're ready to change your life, and you'll find lots of support here.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

Welcome to the community, I hope you find what you need here.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi.Cheers guys . I'm cutting down on the amount I'm drinking slowly. I can't take valium cause I go mad when I do, CAN'T control the rage :/ . Down from 5 cans of 9% lager a night to 3 . It's gonna be a long road to reality, but it's gotta be done. I've been at it so long, I don't know what to replace it with. I'm a hopeful agnostic, so can't rely on "god" . I've tried different stuff before, like the rc trucks. But booze always rears it's stupid head. I'm unemployed cause of the depression + anxiety, so can't afford days out/holidays. Anything really. Thanks for the encouragement
Old 03-27-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, NOFX. I'm really glad you've made the choice to stop the madness. You will be amazed how many things in your life will start to improve. The whole world will look better and more manageable as you get a little sober time.

I've heard of a few people successfully tapering down, but most of the time it proves more difficult. I know I inevitably tapered down, then ramped back up. A clean break is what worked for me. Tapering only reinforced the illusion that I needed alcohol to stabilize my mood, relax, get to sleep, etc. That's all BS—a lie the addiction tells us to keep us drinking. You're already down to 3—that's great—why not just pull the plug, take it down to zero? The sooner you get through it, the sooner you'll start to feel the benefits, you know?

Glad you found us—you can do this, without a doubt. And you will be very grateful you did!
Old 03-27-2012, 06:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

yeh i'm an agnostic and used to be hung up on saying the word 'god' too mate, god could be a potato for all i care, its not about religion for me its about 'spirituality' and the power of a prayer life, getting out of the driving seat and handing it over (lets face it-me in the driving seat got me nowhere, and im pretty sure its got you nowhere too!) and when i started with the prayer life i developed faith in a god of my 'understanding'...now i have no problem saying the word god, beacause i know it keeps me sober and gives me a good life, its as simple as that...
Old 03-27-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Malvern is a lovely place,

Go outside and have a long walk whilst the weather is nice.

It will do you wonders,

Bruno.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Welcome and do consider AA. I'm agnostic as well. Remember. It's all about your Higher Power. That can be the program or the support of the community. Whatever it is that helps keep you sober. The G word is mainly used for convienence.

Step 3 "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to God as we understood Him."

Remember the "as we understood Him" part. It's usually underlined. It's very personal. I've not had any religion shoved at me and have so far had a very positive experience with AA as an agnostic. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2012, 07:54 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome from a fellow Brit
Old 03-27-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Originally Posted by johnny2times View Post
yeh i'm an agnostic and used to be hung up on saying the word 'god' too mate, god could be a potato for all i care, its not about religion for me its about 'spirituality' and the power of a prayer life, getting out of the driving seat and handing it over (lets face it-me in the driving seat got me nowhere, and im pretty sure its got you nowhere too!) and when i started with the prayer life i developed faith in a god of my 'understanding'...now i have no problem saying the word god, beacause i know it keeps me sober and gives me a good life, its as simple as that...
Couldnt of said it any better.

Welcome aboard.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hi NOFX. Love the band by the same name BTW.

Originally Posted by NOFX
I'm a hopeful agnostic, so can't rely on "god" .
I've got good news for you. You don't have to rely on G*d(s) or HP's to get and stay sober in a rewarding fashion. I as an atheist have found through some rather brutal trial and error efforts with a variety of recovery methods, understand the life saving importance of matching my recovery with my worldview.

If you find AA to be your thing, know that there are AA groups directly aimed at agnostics and atheist. Here's one for example: AA Agnostic London South & Home Counties

Being here at SR, like you have started to do, can be of great aid in your recovery efforts. Posting, reading and replying here can be a great recovery program all in its self. As you will find at SR there is more that one way to be recovered from an illness that could maim or kill you if left unchecked.

Best wishes in all you recovery efforts.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by johnny2times View Post
That's pretty much it in a nutshell....I agree with Inda...That was well said johnny....Kudos to you on that one.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi.I had about 1/2 an hours sleep last night :/ . But it's basically practice for when the baby comes in august . My moods not too bad at the mo, just light depression & anxiety . We had a surveyor come to evaluate the damp problem in our rented property. I was right all along about the cause .Might retrain as a surveyor when (not if) I get straight ,there's money in it . I'll be down to 2 cans tomorrow night,not looking forward to it,but hey? what can I do :/ I'll have to keep on carrying on