Notices

Panic Attack - maybe I should stop...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Panic Attack - maybe I should stop...

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. I used to come to this forum quite a bit but for the past year I have not. The longest period of sobriety I've ever had has been 6 months. I have been drinking for the last year. My pattern is drink 3 days per week and smoke pot 5 days per week.

This morning I had (I believe) an alcohol induced panic attack. Scared the crap out of me. I need to quit drinking but am scared to. I was involved in AA during my sober time but fell out of it when I started drinking again.

Just don't know what to do or where to start. I just feel that I am destined to drink. That I can "be a good boy" for a while, but the drink is always waiting on me. I want to live sober, exercise, feel good, etc... but my behavior suggests something completely different.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 03-26-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My first panic attack scared the $&@ out of me too. I knew I had to stop. If you've been here awhile then you know there are lots of suggestions & support.
Find one that works for you.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome back!

I think it's helpful to remember that stopping drinking is only the beginning. I still had to make big changes in my life in order to recover. I also needed to deal with the issues that caused me to become an alcoholic because the issues were still there when I stopped drinking.

Yes, it's scary, but you can do it.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi golfer, glad you came back. Extreme anxiety after a binge is pretty common. You really do need to stop if you don't want to feel that way anymore. I too have backslid recently so I feel your pain. You need to realize that whatever period of sobriety you've had in the past shows that you can beat this thing. Get through the first week without a drink to break your pattern. Quitting the weed would be a good idea too. Hang in there and let us know how its going.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jpgolfer View Post
I was involved in AA during my sober time but fell out of it when I started drinking again.
Welcome jpgolfer...Great to have you here...I think what you mean here is...and I could be wrong....Is when you fell out of it....You started drinking again.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

[QUOTE=jpgolfer;3335

Just don't know what to do or where to start. [/QUOTE]

Well I think your best bet is to just put the drink down and get back to a meeting. You were there before so people are waiting for your return with open arms.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome jpgolfer -

I wondered if I was "destined to drink" too, but as it turned out that was just my brain on alcohol. It made me miserable but I didn't want to give it up either. I thought I was going to have to suffer even more without it. To my surprise, I am so much happier now. The anxiety is worst and that was one of the first things to go when I got sober.

Lean on us and take it one day at a time.....
Old 03-26-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks guys!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

jp, AA gets my vote as well. Get back to the meetings and soon you'll be back on track.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe see a doctor, too. I've had panic attacks, usually when dehydrated. The alcohol and pot don't help those attacks. I gave up both last May. At age 50. If I can do this, you can, too!

I wish you well!
Glad you are here,
Old 03-26-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back jpgolfer

I think the important thing to do right now is reach out - whether it's a Dr, or AA, or some other recovery group, or a combination - do something.

IMO, action is the key that breaks the cycle and finds us the support that can help us stop our drinking

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach.

The main thing tho - whatever you decide to do - is do something
D