Notices

Hi, this is my first post...feel scared

Old 03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi, this is my first post...feel scared

Hi all,

Would just like to introduce myself as I'm new on here. I have been a heavy drinker all through my twenties, then I gave up through my pregnancy, but started again afterwards when I suffered post-natal depression. I've now decided to go Tee total. I feel scared and anxious. I'm worried that it's left me with health problems. Has anyone on here had their health affected through alcohol?
It's a very lonely place in my head right now x
Old 03-24-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
I've now decided to go Tee total. I feel scared and anxious. I'm worried that it's left me with health problems.
Welcome. It's never to late to quit, peanuthead. If anything, quitting will certainly improve your health.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Peanut, you will find a lot of support here

My health greatly improved within a couple of weeks after quitting drinking & continues to get better as I take care of myself physically, emotionally & spiritually.

Can you visit a doctor & discuss your fears, maybe that can ease your concerns & they can help you with a new plan.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have stopped drinking altogether for a week and have been getting anxiety attacks (I suffer with anxiety and depression anyway) - I didn't stop suddenly, it's been a gradual thing. This morning I ended up calling the NHS direct line cause I was so anxious - I am scared that I have damaged my liver. I am going to see a doctor on Monday. Surefly I'd have some pretty awful symptoms if I had severe liver damage? Did anyone else feel scared like this - of not knowing what they've done to their body?
Old 03-24-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Peanut-

Welcome to SR. My health was definitely effected by alcohol use. I was overwieght, had high blood pressure, no energy and felt like crap all the time mostly from being hungover. Since I quit I lost 50 pounds, got in shape and have a ton of more energy. I can honestly say I feel better than I felt since I was in high school, and I am in my late thirties now.

More than anything my mental health was affecting my physical health. I had terrible anxiety and would be absolutely exhausted at the end of each day. Now I have energy after work to actually have some fun and get out and do things.

Quitting for me at the start was very scary, so I hear you there. My whole world for half of my life was built around alcohol so I had no idea what I was going to do with myself. If you can take the first step to stop, then you can begin the process of healing your body and mind. It's a long process with a lot of twists and turns and you'll have bad days, but having some good days and bad days is better than having no good days at all if you're addicted. Good luck to you on your journey.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Computer Experiment..Gone Bad!

Hi Peanut, I am also new, 3rd day dry and YES scared but after reading here on SR site pretty much 2 days all day long I found vast amount of information and I have calmed down a lot. I do not feel alone as much because everyone here has given great advise and support. As far a Liver and for that matter all medical stuff, Your doctor can help best as we are all different. be frank and truthful and your doctor will help the best. Welcome and hang in there.. :ghug3
Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not The Way way, Just the way

Quit for health and maybe just to do the right thing, too.

Originally Posted by peanuthead View Post
I have been a heavy drinker all through my twenties, then I gave up through my pregnancy, but started again afterwards ... I've now decided to go Tee total...
Physical health is your stated concern. I was a binge drinker and whenever a health issue came along, I would quit for a while until it cleared up. I didn't decide to quit for good and become a teetotaler until I made up my mind it was an important moral issue. I decided it was wrong for me to ever drink again.

You gave your child a great gift by not drinking back then, and you can give yourself and your family another great gift, now, by becoming a Teetotaler.

Your gift to your child was a health and moral issue combined. You didn't really do it for yourself, you knew what was right as a mother-to-be. Maybe if you consider the moral dimensions of quitting or not quitting, now, it will help.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Oh yes my body and mind suffered greatly. From my liver,kidney,and pancreas, and also my brain which I was diagnosed with wet brain. By the grace of my god my mind came back and body is trying to follow. Its never to late.

Welcome aboard
Old 03-24-2012, 02:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome peanuthead

I think fears about our health are pretty common - the very best thing to do is to see a Dr and set your mind to rest and I'm glad you're doing that....

I think it's true to say the majority of us find our general health prognosis is way better than we feared it would be

D
Old 03-24-2012, 02:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. Lots of your fellow Brits are here and I am sure they will be along shortly.

The liver is a very resilient organ, and will repair itself if not too far gone (and of course you stay off the sauce). I'm sure you're OK but I am no Dr. and thats what you need. Go see your Dr. and put your mind at ease.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome peanuthead Yep, I was worried about my health, but after only three weeks sober I feel so much better that I'm hardly worried at all. I'd had a load of health problems before I quit but I knew that my doctors would not take me seriously until I stopped. So far I seem to have anxiety, that's it. A trip to the docs will put your mind at ease. SR is a fab place for help so glad you're hear x
Old 03-24-2012, 02:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to SR peanuthead (great name).Glad you have made the decision to put the drink down.

Please dont spend the rest of the weekend worrying,enjoy the lovely weather and your mind will be put at rest when you see your GP Monday,you will be fine.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

You may find that by stopping alcohol, your depression will be greatly lessened too.

for me, drinking heavily exacerbated my depression which led to more drinking which led to more depression. it was such a vicious cycle.

be honest with your physician, they can help you. and welcome to SR.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi PH, my drinking got worse and almost daily when my bub was 6 months old and I stopped breast feeding. I also suffered post natal anxiety. I started on 50mg of Zoloft daily which fixed that in no time! The boredom of being a stay at home mum tho triggered my heavy drinking pattern (mostly arvo/evening). I let it go on for a year until I made myself do something about it.

Nearly 8 weeks sober I feel amazing. The first month was hell! The hardest thing ive ever done! But so worth it. Our kids deserve us in the best shape possible. I'm such a better mum now, more fun, more patient, less irritable and I LOVE it so much more.

U can do it hun, it's so so worth it! Keep coming here and keep reading/posting. Our livers can take a lot, I'm sure you'll be fine. Get a blood test to ease your mind tho. All the best
Old 03-24-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hi Peanuthead - welcome to SR

Go and see your doctor - when I stopped taking cocaine they performed several tests to check my liver, cholesterol, blood sugar etc. Its worth getting checked out so you can discover if you have any health isssues.

I was lucky and my health issues were manageable by making a few changes to my diet and avoiding drugs/alcohol.

This put my mind at reat as my drug induced paranoia made me belive that I had cancer.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!
Old 03-24-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Peanuthead!

The anxiety is the absolute worst. I completely know what you are feeling. I am bipolar and an alcoholic.

You found a great place, so stick around.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:08 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Peanuthead, Welcome!

As others have said, many of us have concerns about what we've done to our physical health by drinking. I tried to remember that what's done is done and can't be changed. And, really none of us have any guarantees about our health, do we. So, the best thing to do is to stay sober and talk to your dr.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My anxiety and depression are more manageable now that my meds work as they should since I'm no longer drinking a depressant. My physical health is better too. I sleep well and wake up most mornings feeling good. It took a while to get to this point but it was worth the effort it took to get here.

Welcome to the family.
Old 03-24-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Peanut, I also wanted to add that we also have an Anxiety forum too Anxiety Disorders - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

All of the best to you