SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Ever had a drug/alcohol evaluation? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/252236-ever-had-drug-alcohol-evaluation.html)

12skiptomylue 03-23-2012 01:35 PM

Ever had a drug/alcohol evaluation?

What exactly happens in an evaluation? Do you fill out tests and stuff? Or is it just a face to face interview?

I printed out "my list" that I made last week about my drinking patterns and showed it to my therapist. She said there were some red flags but she didn't know whether to reccommend a formal evaluation or not but said I might want to do that.

I called to set one up. Feeling nervous about it. But also feel like it will probably come back saying I have an early problem that is not a big deal right now.

IndaMiricale 03-23-2012 01:47 PM

All of mine had both questioneirs and interviews. :)

Good job on starting a process to recovery. :)

12skiptomylue 03-23-2012 01:48 PM

do people typically onlly have an evaluation done if they get a DUI? Or are there people like me who think they might have a problem, and what to know for sure?

PaperDolls 03-23-2012 01:53 PM

I had some sort of evaluation years ago ..... long before I quit drinking. I don't remember the exact details but I was seeing a counselor at the time (no result of a DUI, I was "dealing" with a divorce) and I must have mentioned that I may drink too much or something. I remember a long questionnaire with multiple choice questions. The results were that I likely did have a drinking problem. It didn't make me quit though. Deep down I already knew I had a problem. I kept drinking for another 10 years or so.

12skiptomylue - do you think you have a problem? that's more important in my book than what any test says.

jstar 03-23-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue (Post 3332113)
do people typically onlly have an evaluation done if they get a DUI? Or are there people like me who think they might have a problem, and what to know for sure?

I went on my own free will to a substance abuse evaluation. I don't remember filling out any forms, but I did have a face to face interview where they asked me a million questions. They also took my blood pressure & temperature. It was basically all questions about any alcohol/drug use over my lifetime, any withdrawal symptoms & questions about why I was there now & more recent history.

Don't be nervous, but be prepared to be very honest. They can't help you or give you the right advice if you sugarcoat it (not that you would, i'm just saying in general).

Good luck :)

Sapling 03-23-2012 02:39 PM

When I went into my detox/rehab they said they'd give me an evaluation...They just took one look at me and that was enough. They did have to do blood work for the liver...Blood pressure and they gave me a breathalyzer...Which I didn't do too good on....They had to start me off with a half dose of meds....I just slept anyway. I'll tell you what though...It's not going to do you or them any good if you go in and lie about your drinking....That much I do know.

12skiptomylue 03-23-2012 02:52 PM

duplicate

Anna 03-23-2012 02:55 PM

I think you're frustrated because you want someone else to answer the question for you.

You are the person who needs to answer the question.

Why would it make so much difference if a stranger evaluates you and says yes or no. Does that make the evaluator right - maybe, maybe not.

It's up to you.

12skiptomylue 03-23-2012 02:56 PM

because I want to hear it from a professional. Like going to a doctor vs. reading webmd.

Sapling 03-23-2012 03:16 PM

I agree with Anna...What if the professional tells you it might be a problem in the future for you?....Do you stop for good?...Or ride it out?

12skiptomylue 03-23-2012 03:21 PM

I guess I'm just feeling pissed off right now. Not at you guys. Just at life in general. I freaking put myself out there, said that this is bothering me. Why can't things just be straightforward and simple? I know life is not simple. I just feel pissed off. And I feel like giving up on this whole worrying that I have a problem or not.

12skiptomylue 03-23-2012 03:22 PM

I have a cold. I probably need a nap. I'm just pissed off!

eJoshua 03-23-2012 03:22 PM

I had some kind of formal evaluation from a social worker as part of the admission process when I went to rehab. I don't really remember it very well. I'm sure she shared the results with me but I couldn't tell you what they were. Frankly, I'm not one to really give much credence to psychological inventories like that. I knew I was an alcoholic, I didn't need anyone to tell me I was.

Sapling 03-23-2012 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue (Post 3332202)
And I feel like giving up on this whole worrying that I have a problem or not.

That's called denial.

eJoshua 03-23-2012 03:29 PM

It's a hard process to go through, trying to reconcile and account for your emotions and how you want to classify yourself and what kind of action you want to take. But again, as I've told you in all your threads, what really matters is if you are going to drink or not. Even if you aren't an alcoholic, if alcohol is causing you problems or distress why would you want to keep drinking?

Look at it this way: if every time you ate beans you got terribly sick would you keep eating beans? Even if you really liked beans? No, of course not.

eJoshua 03-23-2012 03:34 PM

Oh you know, now I remember the details! I did have a full chemical assessment with a psychiatrist before I even got into rehab or started the admissions process. If that would put your mind at ease it is something you could look into.

If you look in the yellow pages for chemical health assessments or something like that. Usually there are clinics that have psychiatrists that specialize in addiction treatment and they are licensed to perform chemical health assessments.

Sapling 03-23-2012 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue (Post 3332202)
Why can't things just be straightforward and simple?

You know skip...I didn't choose the way I am...That's just the cards life dealt me....I could question it all my life and die from it...I almost did...But I had to face the facts and accept it...And then do something about it. That's about as simple as I can make it.

wicked 03-23-2012 03:50 PM

I called to set one up.
Good. Gathering information from experts.

Feeling nervous about it.
Why would you be nervous about results from a test?

But also feel like it will probably come back saying I have an early problem that is not a big deal right now.
I guess I had an early problem too. The first time I got drunk, I knew this was gonna work for me. Yep. I could relax and forget. I was 16. It was a big deal then, to me.
And continued for 20 years. Be honest aabout the test, and deal with it appropriately.

Beth

OCDDan 03-23-2012 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by 12skiptomylue (Post 3332093)
What exactly happens in an evaluation? Do you fill out tests and stuff? Or is it just a face to face interview?

I printed out "my list" that I made last week about my drinking patterns and showed it to my therapist. She said there were some red flags but she didn't know whether to reccommend a formal evaluation or not but said I might want to do that.

I called to set one up. Feeling nervous about it. But also feel like it will probably come back saying I have an early problem that is not a big deal right now.

They try to turn your brain inside out and make money, chching! there could be some residule benifits to you, but you will need to be vigilant in gathering them..

DoinThis 03-23-2012 11:21 PM

If u worry And think about alcohol as much as u there is probably a problem. U certainly want to gauge that problem tho. These test might help....

Twenty Questions find out if you are you alcoholic?

There are loads online if u google them. They are all different. Some u score lower, some higher