Notices

Ever had a drug/alcohol evaluation?

Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hey Skip, sorry about yr cold

My evaluation asked some interesting questions about the way I feel about my drug, when I can't get it, if someone takes it away, what if I have an excess in the house, have I ever put a bottle away unfinished, have I ever emptied a friend's glass after they said they couldn't finish it (yes, plenty of times...not necessarily a friend's glass either, ugh)

Anyhoo... those questions were way more revealing than the basic howmuch and forhowlong. I already knew I'm an alcoholic but it was a useful process. Don't be nervous though whoever administers the thing won't judge.
Let us know how it goes okay?
X
Old 03-24-2012, 02:43 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I went voluntarily for a chemical dependency assessment, which was offered to me as an option by a marriage counselor.

For me it was filling in some forms and questionnaires, then answering some questions in an interview type of conversation, then discussion of the results. Interesting opportunity to shine a light on a set of patterns in my life which I had been minimizing or denying.

Depending on what you want, that can be the end, or you can be referred for treatment or rehab if you choose.

It's crucial to be honest - otherwise you are wasting your time.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

I filled out a bunch of province-mandated alcohol dependancy questionnaires, that are tallied and used to gauge where I am in my addiction, how I feel towards recovery, etc. It's crucial to be as honest as possible when answering, instead of answering "what we want them to hear" (us alcoholics are good at that).
Old 03-24-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

If the professional makes the suggestion to you that you begin attending AA to make the barest start in what will be needed for the rest of your life to correct this long ongoing problem, will you take his/her professional recommendation?

That's the chance you're taking by telling the compete truth.

Perhaps I can be of help there:

1.Have friends or family ever worried or complained about your alcohol use?

Can I help it if they're the type who jump at shadows? Their politics are all wrong, too.

2.Do you ever use alcohol first thing in the morning or to get you through the day?

Never, except on vacation or when it's got a classy name. Brunch isn't morning, you know?

3.Are you concerned about your alcohol use?

Trick question. In the past I've occasionally been concerned about thermonuclear war, but that doesn't mean I have a problem with it.

4.Do you ever use alcohol to overcome the effects of other alcohol taken earlier?

Not at all. What good would that do me? I want the effects from today's booze, not what I drank yesterday. Geez.

5.Have you or someone else been injured as a result of your alcohol use?

What, like accidents can't happen? I've been injured also as a child when no alcohol was involved...gotcha!

6.Have you ever felt regret after taking alcohol?

In Vegas they water the drinks to nothing. It's true, I always regret every single drink there. Score one for your test.

7.Do you conceal your use from family or friends, or edit stories involving your drinking?

Not at all. Well, only if it spares them pain. That's being unselfish and alcoholics are selfish so that's a point for me. Hah!

8.Does your alcohol use impact negatively on other parts of your life e.g. work, friendships, finances, health?

No, I've made countless new friends drinking. I do hate it when they somehow get my phone #. As far as the rest I drink doing all that stuff, so no problem.

9.Have you ever run out of money because you've spent your money on alcohol?

That's why God made ATMs.

10.Would you like to change the way you use alcohol?

Like with some kind of a patch or an IV? Don't be crazy. OK, I did think about the IV thing, but for only a moment.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:25 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
If the professional makes the suggestion to you that you begin attending AA to make the barest start in what will be needed for the rest of your life to correct this long ongoing problem, will you take his/her professional recommendation?

That's the chance you're taking by telling the compete truth.

Perhaps I can be of help there:

1.Have friends or family ever worried or complained about your alcohol use?

2.Do you ever use alcohol first thing in the morning or to get you through the day?

3.Are you concerned about your alcohol use?

4.Do you ever use alcohol to overcome the effects of other alcohol taken earlier?

5.Have you or someone else been injured as a result of your alcohol use?

6.Have you ever felt regret after taking alcohol?

7.Do you conceal your use from family or friends, or edit stories involving your drinking?

8.Does your alcohol use impact negatively on other parts of your life e.g. work, friendships, finances, health?

9.Have you ever run out of money because you've spent your money on alcohol?

10.Would you like to change the way you use alcohol?
If someone told me that it would be good to attend AA, then yes, I would.
1. No. In fact, most of my friends say I'm "fine" and I'm "fun" when I drink.
2. No. I've thought about it a couple times, but never did it. I have drank ONE beer a few times at Noon.
3. Yes
4.No.
5. No. I fell once when I tripped over a hot dog stand after drinking, but just scraped myself up a little. Another time, a drunk guy fell on me when I was drinking, but not drunk, and I fell and got a concussion.
6. Yes
7. From my Mom, because she thinks any amount of drinking is evil.
8. Nope. I really don't think I have any negative effects except for me being worried about it.
9. Nope.
10. Yes.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

1. No. In fact, most of my friends say I'm "fine" and I'm "fun" when I drink.

Most implies some think may think otherwise. Gotta go with a half yes here.

2. No. I've thought about it a couple times, but never did it. I have drank ONE beer a few times at Noon.

No Mimosas, Bloody Marys, no finishing the glass left on the nightstand, no fishing trips where one needs to brace oneself against the cold, never took a bogeta bag skiing to loosen up the joints before the morning run, never attended a champagne brunch...quite a sheltered life. Most normal drinkers have done those things-but perhaps not someone being extra-extra cautious for a reason.

3. Yes

4.No.

When you drink the following day after you drink because you're feeling a little shaky, then you're someone who is drinking to overcome the effects of drinking. You earned your yes answer over the last many years.

5. No. I fell once when I tripped over a hot dog stand after drinking, but just scraped myself up a little. Another time, a drunk guy fell on me when I was drinking, but not drunk, and I fell and got a concussion.

Great you didn't hurt yourself or get hurt too much or too often in the drinking scene. But, that wasn't the question. Concussions and falling over hot dog stands get a yes, not a no.

6. Yes

7. From my Mom, because she thinks any amount of drinking is evil.

Meaning yes.

8. Nope. I really don't think I have any negative effects except for me being worried about it.

You've displayed a fair amount of worry here. That seems negative but maybe it's really a positive, who knows? Let's give it a half-yes.

9. Nope.

Atta girl.

10. Yes.

Good deal, that kind of honesty in your dealing with the professionals should keep you out of AA.