Notices

Lost so much must stop now

Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Computer Experiment..Gone Bad!

Lost so much must stop now

Hi Everyone, When I was young I ask my father the basic requirement needed to live life. He said “Food”, “Shelter” and “Clothing.” So when I finished University (Learned to Drink) and went out in life I worked hard to provide these basic needs for survival.

I made good money and started drinking heavy (I kept a very well stocked liquor cabinet full). Every time I looked at the disease I convinced myself it was OK because even though I lost many of my real friends and family I felt it was still OK as long as I was providing these basic needs (Wrong!!)

I am now 46 and got a big wake up call from my wonderful Wife of 25 years. She helped me (or I am leaving) to relies that my father left one of the most important things from the list.

“Relationships” (Friends, Family, Partner or yourself)

What I am forced to face and now understand is I can not survive “ALONE” in a bottle, not even if I have all the money in the world!!!

Out of every thing I LOST to the poison bottle over the years whether Jobs, Cars, House and more.....my biggest regret of all is the loss of my true relationships. Everything else can be bought. True relationships CAN'T!

I hope anyone even thinking about stopping will also understand that any unhealthy addiction will only get worse until everyone and everything is gone unless we stop now.:ghug3
Old 03-23-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tell me about it...
Old 03-23-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think nearly everyone here can identify with your post BD.
We can't change the past, no matter how we want to - but we definitely can be the people we want to be today

Thanks

D
Old 03-23-2012, 01:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, it's true and I suppose most of us lost important relationships to our drinking.

But, you can begin to form new relationships and move forward with your life. You can also work on mending some of your old relationships.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ditto.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Well said.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One has to realize that alcohol is a very skilled thief. It rarely takes everything all at once, more like "one piece at a time". It robs you of your ability to develop to your full potential stealing many of your "could have beens". You'll never notice those missing because they never came to pass. You also function at much less than your true capacity so again it's stealing your God given abilities and you rarely notice that sneaky bit of thievery.

It's not satisified with that tho, next it takes the real tangible stuff, jobs, relationships, houses, cars, bank accounts etc.etc. When its all done with stealing the "stuff" it will take your sanity and life, only then is its job complete. The good news is you can stop the thief any time you choose, you can lock him up and throw away the key. It's all up to you.
Old 03-23-2012, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yea, there somethin missing in this story
Old 03-24-2012, 05:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It robs you of your ability to develop to your full potential stealing many of your "could have beens". You'll never notice those missing because they never came to pass. You also function at much less than your true capacity so again it's stealing your God given abilities and you rarely notice that sneaky bit of thievery.

Well said!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by OCDDan View Post
yea, there somethin missing in this story
Missing?
Old 03-24-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BackToSquareOne View Post
One has to realize that alcohol is a very skilled thief. It rarely takes everything all at once, more like "one piece at a time". It robs you of your ability to develop to your full potential stealing many of your "could have beens". You'll never notice those missing because they never came to pass. You also function at much less than your true capacity so again it's stealing your God given abilities and you rarely notice that sneaky bit of thievery.

It's not satisified with that tho, next it takes the real tangible stuff, jobs, relationships, houses, cars, bank accounts etc.etc. When its all done with stealing the "stuff" it will take your sanity and life, only then is its job complete. The good news is you can stop the thief any time you choose, you can lock him up and throw away the key. It's all up to you.
Thank You BackTo, I never labeled as a SKILLED THIEF but you hit the nail on the head!!
Old 03-24-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Congrats on your decision to quit. It is a very big step, but you can do it! :ghug3