Notices

UGH. I feel like drinking.

Old 03-23-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

UGH. I feel like drinking.

Ok, so I am on day 11 and I get off for 1/2 a day vacation in about 40 minutes. I have absolutely nothing to do or no-one to answer to for 3 1/2 hours. I mean my anxiety is through the damn roof and I just want to go to the bar and get a beer. IDK, just pissy. I know it is only a reach away and I know it would be so easy to just go to the bar and order a beer. I can't believe I ever let myself get this way. Obssessing over a damn drink. thanks for letting me vent.

Dom.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hope venting is all you're doing...Don't forget to use the 1000 pound phone...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

I don't know why the hell this craving is so strong! It is driving me insane!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have a snack. Go for a run. Read a book. Think of something you're grateful for. Or pick up that awful phone, like Sapling suggested. It's too nice a day to screw up your life.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Random Guy

Don't listen to it don't argue with it but DON'T AGREE with it. Come on Dominica stick with us here. I am right there with you, my inspection is over, I feel better than I did yesterday from my cold so naturaly thoughts of drinking entered my mind. I won't do it and neither should you. Think of all those horrible mornings, know that there is no such thing as one drink. Know that if you pick one up today you will be trashed for the next three and right back where you started a week and a half ago. That is helping me at least. knowing that I could drink tonight, but if I did it won't stop there.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

Yes DO SOMETHING!! it'll help.
A
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
LDT

I don't have cravings any more, but I still have triggers.....they generally happen on Fridays. I just think through the drink and go to the gym....or maybe go for a coffee and a piece of pie. Everything is better with pie!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You really seem to be wrestling with cravings....I guess just like the rest of us in the early stages (and me, beyond). Just remember that it will get easier to resist with the passage of time, and each time you resist you get stronger and prouder (self-esteem). I am sorry you are having a hard time.....go do something fun - it is a beautiful day in TX!
Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober...Finally.

Thats just it....what can I do that is fun that doesn't involve drinking? I haven't had one fun day sober yet. Does fun even exist when you are sober?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Random Guy

It does its just that you and me both forgot how to do it. I made a post in the alcoholics forum asking for ideas to do because I was tempted a little while ago myself. Drinking is an easy out that is why we did it and we have done it for so long that we have forgoten how we had fun without it. I don't know what I am going to do yet, but I am thinking that maybe a sushi dinner and playing some pool would help me. Think back, what did you do for fun before you drank? Whatever it is try it even if it seems like it is going to be boring, because it may teach you to begin taking interest in things again. I think that is another aspect of our lives that alcohol impeades, the ability to take joy in simple things, it is part of our "job" in recovery to learn that highly underrated skill again.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
Thats just it....what can I do that is fun that doesn't involve drinking? I haven't had one fun day sober yet. Does fun even exist when you are sober?
You remember all the the stuff you did for fun when you were drunk?....Try doing them when you're sober,
Old 03-23-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Talking

Originally Posted by Dominica2 View Post
I know it is only a reach away and I know it would be so easy to just go to the bar and order a beer.

Dom.
Hope you prevailed. I noticed in your post you said A beer. When is the last

time you were able to have a single beer and stop. Just a question. Going

for a long walk or a visit to the gym helps deal with some excess energy for

me. And yes sober living is extremly fun and that includes sober friends that

you can connect with near you. Get some digits next meeting you go to and

start getting together with folks.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dom,

You said you were feeling so much better sober. Try and go to an AA meeting and share that you want to drink. Think it through to the inevitable, horrible conclusion. Fun is a little hard in early sobriety because our serotonin levels are low. But, there are activities that can pick you up (jogging, AA, massage, shopping, helping others, etc.) Let us know how you are doing. We are here to support you.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I sure know that feeling well. Every day off from work brings the thought that I have no commitments and I "deserve" a few drinks (yeah right) for getting through the week. Not like I did not drink after work most every day as well... ugh!
My days off are the hardest. I still have not figured how to beat that. You are not alone in this thinking. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

remember what you told me

Remember, it will pass and you will feel better tomorrow if you do not drink today.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I would like a drink (at least in some way) too, Dominica. So what? Big deal. That is something that I used to do, but not any more, and not ever again. And I am not giving up a single thing by sticking by this decision, and neither will you. There no longer is any fun whatsoever at the bottom of that beer glass.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Absolutely there is fun in recovery. In fact
they insist on us having fun. Sure, i did the
rehab bit via family intervention, and yes
I would whine and pout, went thru all the
im sorries, and poor me's, like "pour me
another drink".

Yep, that was 21 yrs of many one days at
a time to get me where I am today. My journey
in recovery has gone thru many changes
and experienced many miracles as well.

Recovery is not over by know means because
my journey is for a lifetime as i wait anxiously
to see what else is in store for me down the
road.

In order to recieve the promises in recovery all
that I needed to do is pass on my own ESH to others
who are still struggling with addiction.

I have and will continue to do so in order to
remain happy joyous and free in recovery.

So can you.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Think about all the hard work you've put in to get this far??? Is it worth throwing that all away for a beer? The cravings will become less intense as time goes on... but if you drink now you'll go right back to where you were... you'll have to go through it all again. You don't have to suffer anymore my friend!
Old 03-23-2012, 12:27 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Professional Drunk

I know what you mean. I hate Friday afternoons. Its the time of the week when I would most likely relapse.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You need to remember that while you think you want 1 or 2 beers to feel better, it will actually be 10-20 beers and back to the cycle you got out of almost 2 weeks ago. Go out and treat yourself to something else that you would normally spend on beer. Sometimes I was spending hundreds of dollars a week on alcohol, so in the beginning I spent that money on other things that made me happy.