Notices

Day five, really want a beer!

Old 03-23-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

sorry....just remembered u didnt wanna argue if u were an alcoholic or not! good for u for posting and not drinking. a full belly of good food helps my cravings too
Old 03-23-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I honestly appreciate all of your feedback. I was very grumpy yesterday, thus the "I don't want to argue" stance. But I want you to know that I AM hearing you. I wouldn't be coming back if I didn't feel like I was getting something from these interactions.

I have therapy today, and it will be the first time I have laid it all out there to another person about my drinking habits. I printed the list that I made last week. I'm ready to have a straight conversation about it, and get her feedback.

After eating yesterday, I really did feel so much better. I learned the HALT thing from recovering from an eating disorder in my teens, and I think being both hungry and exhausted, and getting sick (I woke up with a NASTY cold!) really played into my cravings yesterday. In the end, I'm glad I didn't drink because I didn't run away!

I think Dee's comment resonated with me most. I don't want to run from life. I don't want to have things that are "crutches", that I "need" to get thru.

Here's to day 6! I think this is where i quit last year when I decided to go one week sober. I felt that by going 6 days, I proved that I could go a week. I know, I know......
Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I love how honest your posts are. Keep them coming I enjoy reading them and can relate to them.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

@12skiptomylue

Today is my day 5. I can relate to a lot of your posts. The last time I did this, a few months back, I made it 4 days and then went and bought two tall boys hours afte rdinner and enjoyed them tremendously. I though, wow, I made it four days, that means I am not dependent--Lucky me. Needless to say, although I tried moderation, I still went way more than I needed when I was "grilling" for the family on weekends.

I struggle with the labels of what I am or what I am not, but I know I like to drink and I like to drink more than others do. This tome, I am committed to losing some weight and becoming as fit as I can, and I use that for my justification. At least for these last 5 days, that has seemed easier than saying that I should not drink, because I said I wont for x amount of days and I am strong and not addicted.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Holly and LCFF,

Thanks so much. It never even occured to me that I could be helping someone else in my posts, or that others could relate to my wrestling so much.

Holly, I really appreciate that you hear honesty in my posts. That's what I'm striving for.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Just curious, what do you think it will mean if you do manage to tough out the cravings you're experiencing for the relief and comfort a drink brings you for 30 days?

I know you said that if you were to somehow make that 30 days it would be longer than you've managed to resist your desire to drink in the past many years, but what would it signify to you?

At the end of my drinking I'd go some 3-4 months before returning to alcoholic drinking, and it was quickly as much fun as when I quit, so I was spinning in meaningless circles. Just wondered what you're expecting out of not the 4 months that didn't change anything for me, but just the 1 month, if you were to manage that?
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
Just curious, what do you think it will mean if you do manage to tough out the cravings you're experiencing for the relief and comfort a drink brings you for 30 days?

I know you said that if you were to somehow make that 30 days it would be longer than you've managed to resist your desire to drink in the past many years, but what would it signify to you?

At the end of my drinking I'd go some 3-4 months before returning to alcoholic drinking, and it was quickly as much fun as when I quit, so I was spinning in meaningless circles. Just wondered what you're expecting out of not the 4 months that didn't change anything for me, but just the 1 month, if you were to manage that?
To be honest, I'm not sure if I can answer this yet. Really, this "experiment of sorts" is to see if going 30 days is going to be harder than I expected it to be. And in what ways is it "hard". Is it simply because drinking has become a pattern, and just what I do, or is it that I have come to rely on alcohol to get thru? I guess i see it as a pattern vs. dependency issue. If it continues to be hard, then I feel like it would be necessary to draw some inferences about that. I AM, and have always been caught up on labels...and this continues to show even in my posts of "am I an alcoholic or not". I think I need to do what others have suggested, and stop focusing on the labels, and naming what it is to me. I guess I haven't thought of exactly what I'm going to do after 30 days. It's easier for me to focus on "this is what I have decided for now".
Old 03-23-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

How about abnormal drinker?....I've seen that thrown around the Big Book a little bit...