Notices

To Terminally Unique

Old 03-22-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

To Terminally Unique

So sorry to post this here but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to reply to private messages and I feel so badly about that because I appreciate them so much! So to Terminally Unique: thank you so so much for the info I am going to look into it all! Can anyone tell me where the "Secular" section of this web site is? And if AA is not for me, can people who DO believe in a "higher power" still benefit from AVRT?
Old 03-22-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I can't speak for AVRT, I have no experience with it other than what I've read and heard about. From what little I do know, you're not asked to renounce God in the AVRT program. LOL. ....and I could probably make an argument that it's God who gives you the ability to recognize the addictive voice and the power to ignore it.....lol. Anyway, I've never heard of a recovery program that tells you that belief in a God of your understanding is a bad thing.....

As far as the secular 12 step area, it's here: Secular 12 Step Recovery - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Last edited by Dee74; 03-22-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Secular Connections:

Secular Connections - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Double Post
Old 03-22-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Eliasson I absolutely believe in a higher power who I call God. I also feel that only I can make myself drink. No one can bend my elbow for me and pour it down my throat. My addictive voice is not happy with my resolve ( and that's a way good thing!) I do not drink. For all that I just wrote, I thank God. I also thank SR. 68 days ago I would have never been able to write those words. 68 days ago I would have never gone to an AA meeting. Today I will be attending my 4th. All the best to you on your path. We are all on the same ocean, just in different boats.

T
Old 03-22-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

From what I know of AVRT, it is independent of religious beliefs. I know the AVRT dose not promote faith in God or spirituality of a religious nature in order for one to recover from alcoholism.

I like the AVRT because it will not cause confusing conflict with whatever one believes or disbelieves. For me the less convoluted a recovery system is, the better.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Eliasson,

You can respond to Private Messages by scrolling down to the end of the message and hitting the "Reply" button on the lower right. The Secular Connections forum is found on the main forum list, past Newcomers, Alcoholism, and Drug Addiction. It seems to be the 14th forum on the list. You can also click on the link below to go to the forum directly, or to the first part of the AVRT thread.

Regarding your question about whether or not people who believe in G-d can benefit, AVRT will not interfere with anyone's religious beliefs, nor does it prescribe any. Although AVRT has many secular fans, it is not a secular humanistic philosophy, so there is no need to take up secularism in order to use it. In fact, AVRT is in many ways congruent with the teachings of traditional religion. I posted about this previously.