Notices

Any suggestions when finding a sponsor?

Old 03-21-2012, 10:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any suggestions when finding a sponsor?

I want to get involved in AA and NA I am slowly working towards it slowly getting comfortable in going to meetings but I want to find a sponsor as soon as I can because I have a hard time feeling like I am working towards peace in recovery unless I am working the steps with someone. I want to work the steps with someone so bad I feel like if I start on those I will be less likely to stray from what I am trying to acheive I have admitted I am powerless over my addiction and alcohol, I believe that I will be saved but only by a power greater than myself. I haven't met step three just yet I am still struggling with trusting 100% in a higher power but am making small steps there. Day by day. I just want someone to be accountable to I need that cause I can't be accountable to myself. I have talked to a couple ladies about sponsoring me and they backed off pretty quick said not to rush into it but I feel like I need it as soon as possible any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

pick someone who studies and speaks the truth from the BB, you'll be able to spot them, they'll have a warm glow about them and a funny content looking smile on there faces
try avoid the ones who spout off about themselves all the time...in my experience there the ones who are struggling and havent quite got it yet
Old 03-21-2012, 11:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freebrainplz View Post
I want to get involved in AA and NA I am slowly working towards it slowly getting comfortable in going to meetings but I want to find a sponsor as soon as I can because I have a hard time feeling like I am working towards peace in recovery unless I am working the steps with someone. I want to work the steps with someone so bad I feel like if I start on those I will be less likely to stray from what I am trying to acheive I have admitted I am powerless over my addiction and alcohol, I believe that I will be saved but only by a power greater than myself. I haven't met step three just yet I am still struggling with trusting 100% in a higher power but am making small steps there. Day by day. I just want someone to be accountable to I need that cause I can't be accountable to myself. I have talked to a couple ladies about sponsoring me and they backed off pretty quick said not to rush into it but I feel like I need it as soon as possible any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.
How you doing freebrainplz...I found my sponsor the first week I was in AA....For the same reason you mentioned...If I wasn't busy working the program (steps)...I'd probably go out and drink...And from what I've seen...That happens a lot....You admit you are powerless over alcohol and you have a Higher Power...That's a great start....Keep making small steps toward trusting that HP and you'll be ready to get into the work...The 4th step. I'd find someone in your next couple meetings that sounds like they have what you want...If they say don't rush into it...Keep asking till you find someone that doesn't say that...Why not share in a meeting what you said here?...Say you're making progress with step 3 and you need a sponsor to take you through the steps as done in the Big Book....Most people have a hard time getting past step one...I'm sure someone will want to help you....But I would make that priority number one and get one ASAP....Because the steps are the solution...I wish you the best of luck...This program works....You just have to be willing to go to any lengths to make that happen. It's worth doing the work...Trust me.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I cannot add to what others have said about picking a sponsor but I did have a concern about your comments on step 3:

Originally Posted by freebrainplz
I haven't met step three just yet I am still struggling with trusting 100% in a higher power but am making small steps there. Day by day
There is nothing in step 3 about "trusting 100% in a higher power". To recap, step 3 is "Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understand him."

You don't even have to turn your will and life over, just make a decision to do so. And this certainly does not require 100% trust in your HP.

The actual turning over of your will and life will happen as you work steps 4-12. Your understanding of yourself, your disease, your HP, and the AA program will change dramatically during this time, as will your trust level in your HP.

This is a program of progress not perfection, I would stay away from putting artificial levels on the steps, especially if that level is 100%
Old 03-22-2012, 02:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I lot of people get caught up on turning your will and your life over....Like you're going to be some kind of robot or something...Your will is your thoughts...Your life is the actions you take...Based on those thoughts...The care of your Higher Power...Is guidance basically...You're having faith in something that will allow you to think about living better....Not lying..Cheating...Stealing...What can I get from you?....But that will guide you to be honest...Help people...Do the next right thing....And when you practice living like that....Good things start to happen...First you have to clear the wreckage of your past...Clean your side of the street...That's where steps 4-9 come in. But like dgillz said...Nobody is going to be perfect at it...If we were...There'd be nothing left to practice for.
I hope that made some kind of sense...Because it made sense to me.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freebrainplz View Post
...said not to rush into...
That's a real good tip off that those people should not be your sponsor. The Steps are how we recovered. There is no good reason to postpone that life changing experience.

Instead, look for someone that talks about being recovered as the result of a spiritual awakening by taking the 12 Steps. See if they are willing to show you what they have done.

I was a loooong way from trusting 100% in a higher power when I first took the Steps. In fact, I was a staunch atheist who thought the idea of a higher power was a crutch for weak minded sheep. But, I was willing to believe. That's the essential Step 2 requirement. Further trust in that power was the result of continuing with the Steps and experiencing that power.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I didn't really know what I was doing on step 3, but I made a decision to put myself under the "care" of a power greater than me, moved forward in the next steps immediately; that is when things got amazingly beautiful! The first 3 steps became clear after steps 4-7.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

freebrainplz, when at your meeting, watch and listen to the oldtimer ladies talk.
When you hear one with lots of sobriety and who carries herself so well that you say to yourself "She is WAY too good for me"... pick her !

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-22-2012, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Get a temporary sponsor to speak with daily and when you meet the right person ask them. Just a suggestion.

Seek and you shall find, Knock and you shall enter.

:ghug3