Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Ever have brief moments of feeling like the person you used to be?

Notices

Old 03-21-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

After 4 months of sobriety, I've noticed a strange phenomenon. Every once in a while, I get a brief feeling of elation, at which time... I feel like the person I was before alcohol impacted my life.

It's hard to describe, but it just feels like all the focus, confidence, and joy I used to have in my life comes back for just a short moment, out of the blue, with no cue at all. Then it's gone, and I'm back to the me of now... trying to stay motivated knowing that feeling truly happy again will take some time.

Anyone else?
Old 03-21-2012, 03:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Totally. I'll be out walking the dogs or something and suddenly get this rosy feeling that I can't remember having forever...I think I'd honestly kind of written off that feeling as something that must be just associated with youth b/c it had been so long. I'm hoping that feeling keeps showing up and sticking around longer.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yes! It was so elusive I didn't know how to put it into words. Good Job. I feel the old me emerging a little more every day. Thought she was gone forever.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I do..I have had smells/sensations and even thoughts that I have not had since I was about 14 only very briefly , hopefully after 3o years of poisoning myself I might get more of these.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I do too. I can be going about my day and all of a sudden, out of the blue, I'm about to burst with joy. Why, I don't know, but I'm not questioning it. It's been a very long time since I've felt joyful about anything ... I enjoy it for as long as it lasts.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The AA Promises say that "We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace"... It will always materialize if we work for it.

Wishing everyone the best.

Bob R
Old 03-21-2012, 03:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes!!!! I was just thinking about this earlier today. As I get more sober time under my belt, the feeling pops up more often, gets stronger and lasts longer. It's like I'm remembering who I am
Old 03-21-2012, 03:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Same here
Old 03-21-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I don’t know if I’m staying on the topic, but, at least for me, how I feel right now has lost much of its importance. Sure, I don’t want to be overwhelmed by depression, anxiety, pain, or a host of other unpleasant emotions. I need to do basic things to take care of myself. However, I have found that my behavior (outside of this basic self-care) is key to how things go overall. When I place an ever greater degree of importance on the benefit of my behavior for others, things just work out. It’s like I need to stop keeping score all the time. I don’t want to be the person I used to be, and in doing that, I have a lot of really nice moments. I just don’t get to pick when they will take place.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I remember feeling those elusive moments too, and they were wonderful.

Keep on course with your recovery and each day will get better.