Notices

Pregnant and detoxing

Old 03-20-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Pregnant and detoxing

I am a On again off again painkiller user. I have never had any problems detoxing before cause I never took them for along period of time. In January I had surgery and was prescribed extra strength Vicodin and became addicted. I just found out I am pregnant (totally planned and haven't taken anything in 3 days. I was totally nieve thinking I wouldn't have a problem (on top of this ingot laid off from work due to the economy and I have no medical insurance so I am totally stressed) my withdrawls right now are I feel like my skin is crawling, I and extremely irratable ( to the max). I have no motivation AT ALL. All I want to do is sleep cause there isn't anything else I can do sense in am pregnant. Has anyone gone through this while pregnant and how long will it last. I have wanted this baby so bad for so long but I can't even get excited cause I am so miserable. And my poor daughter and husband they don't deserve my attitude.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well, I am not a woman and I was addicted to benzos, not opiates, but I do think that if you are at the three-day mark that you still should think about consulting a doctor.

Crawling skin, depression, insomnia -- at least one out of three you thankfully aren't having -- are all common withdrawal symptoms.

Can you level with someone about your addiction, like a medical professional, and your pregnancy to get some medical advice?

Are you alone or is someone there with you to watch over you?

I think sleeping a lot is a very normal and beneficial symptom right now.

And congratulations on bringing a new life into the world to be loved!
Old 03-21-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

opiate detox and pregnancy are a tricky mix. you really need to consult a physician for the health of your baby. best of luck with your recovery.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think what you are describing may just be normal pregnancy symptoms...the fatigue is terrible! Just be good to yourself and let yourself lay around and sleep as much as possible. What does your doctor say?
Old 03-21-2012, 08:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Are you planning on attending NA meetings in your area?

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-21-2012, 09:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you will be able to find a way to talk to a dr about detoxing while pregnant. It would be good to get medical advice.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.