Notices

How long does it take........

Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does it take........

Might be a silly question but how long does it normally take for the alchohol to leave your system.
I have been off the drink for a couple of days (again) after relapsing, but when I wake up in the morning I feel as if i've been on the drink the previous night. Still feeling woozy and as if in a fog!
I know Day 3 is supposed to be the worse, so really dreading today.
When do people start feeling a real change in themselves?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

I don't know the technical answer to the first question, but I think my body and brain were so used to having alcohol in the system they had adapted there own way of coping. Getting sober has been a journey of various things changing for me, but after the first week I was streets in front from when I was drinking. I have learned that it does take what it takes, and that it does take time. It helps to focus on the positives not the negatives.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Bonnie...I spent a long time getting myself to the position to where I had to stop...Many years...I went through a lot of pain in my drinking career....I guess I could handle the pain of not ever drinking again...I started feeling better after my first week...I was in a fog my first month....I had a lot to undo....I just kept myself busy working on recovery....The more I worked on it...The better I felt.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Some say after 72 hours most alcoholics are as physically sober as they're ever going to get. If you're alcoholic then when alcohol has left your system is when the fun really begins.

So, if you feel like a million bucks after 72 hours you can bet your problem was solved, you're not alcoholic and there's not a single cloud in the sky of deepest azure.

On the other hand, if you feel jittery and anxious, unpleasantly shocked by regrets and memories that won't stop playing in your spinning head and suspect that you can now probably handle alcohol just peachy unlike those thousands of previous times, then maybe there's more to this than just putting the plug in the jug.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It took 4 or 5 days till I began to feel more normal. It's always a good idea to talk to your dr before you detox from alcohol because it can be dangerous.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 03-20-2012, 04:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good point Anna...I didn't detox alone...So my first 5 days were under medical supervision...I'm grateful for that..
Old 03-20-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

the fog started to clear on day 4/5 for me, felt rough for the first week...and then slept alot ,think that was just a case of physically n mentally catching up on proper rest and recovering, stick with it...you've done the hard bit (first few days) day 4/5 will soon be here
Old 03-20-2012, 05:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Physical hangovers go away rather quickly.
It's the mental, emotional and spiritual hangovers that seem to hang on causing me pain, discomfort and conflict.
Regular AA meetings help me deal with those .. I get a daily reprieve.

Wishing you the best Bonnie.

Bob R
Old 03-20-2012, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

Our brain (neurons) have been used to being numbed, so it's going to take a little while (different for everyone) for them to get normal. It keeps getting better, or different. by 30 days, I felt a lot better, by 60 more than at 30, at 10 months, I'm so much better than at the first week, still learning and still have moments, but I also smoked weed, too.

Keep staying stopped, soon enough, you'll realize how much damage you've done by staying numbed. It DOES get better! Give time time.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I didn't feel good mostly till a month later, definately foggy and irritable the first week. I was only an evening drinker too. It seems like a long time when u are living it but it's nothing in the scheme of things. All the best
Old 03-20-2012, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I felt like a million freakin bucks by 4 or 5 days. Hang in there.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

you should feel better soon provided you're taking care of yourself. Are you eating? Getting enough sleep and fluids? A good bit of fresh air? You have to be really good to yourself right now. Give yourself some things to stay sober for.

I've been sober for a while now and when I think of drinking I overwhelmingly remember how BAD I felt all the time. constantly dehydrated, exhausted.