Notices

Struggling

Old 03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Struggling

Been struggling over the months.. I quit drinking for two weeks and don't feel any better so I convince myself I might as well drink if stopping don't make me feel better.. Anyways I drank most of the weekend and feel the same as the prior two weeks that I did not drink.. Feeling hopeless..
Old 03-19-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Are you attending AA meetings, Missinglife ??

Bob R
Old 03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Have not tried AA.. Live in a tiny town and don't believe it would stay between the group.. And in a small town, reputation is everything and don't want to jeopardize my job..
Old 03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Hello -

I certainly didn't start feeling better within 2 weeks. I think you have to have some patience when you're coming out of active addiction. Since we abused our bodies for years it is unrealistic to expect change in so short a timeframe.

Best wishes,
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

67 days sober here after 30 years of poisening myself , had a few good days but mostly kind of blah, detached and boring days, chronic cravings and strangeness but I am never going through these early days again so take homage in that

But even at this very early stage I have a wonderful sense of FREEDOM and Sleep much much better, i really feel like my body and my mind is saying THANK YOU to me for doing this.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Double post.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I understand the small town issue. I dont attend meetings but read the Big Book. Downloaded it online for free. Ordered books Beyond the Influence, etc. I felt bad the first month but it gets better. You have to be patient.

You have to want to be sober, more than you want to drink.
It took me a yr of starting & stopping before I realized alcohol would never make me happy. When I finally had enough of the insanity, I quit for good. 2 months sober & finally feel great. You couldn't pay me to drink again.
Don't give up. Keep fighting. You can do this.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MissingLife,

I think you might need to be patient for more than 2 weeks. Allow your body to heal.

You can do this.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Missinglife View Post
Have not tried AA.. Live in a tiny town and don't believe it would stay between the group.. And in a small town, reputation is everything and don't want to jeopardize my job..
You may be shocked to find out that AA is in small towns.......like yours I'd bet.....and lots of ppl get/stay sober there just as they do in large towns where everyone's active, and medium towns where everyone's nosy, and...etc.

My sobriety is WAY more important than some dolt's possible negative opinion of me being a recovered alcoholic. That said......in FIVE years......I've never had ONE negative side effect from being in recovery or telling ppl I am.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by Missinglife View Post
I quit drinking for two weeks and don't feel any better so I convince myself I might as well drink if stopping don't make me feel better.
In my experience, I finally had to go into this thing like a marriage -- for better or for worse. Otherwise, I would inevitably start thinking along these same lines and change my mind. This happened repeatedly, until I finally decided that I wasn't going to worry about how things turned out. Interestingly enough, things did improve quite a bit as a result, though.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Two months till I turn 33.. Gonna do my best to stay away from the bottle till then.. Sick of how life's been going and need a change.. With all your support I think/hope I can do it.. 2 months is the goal and see how I feel then.. Thanks all..
Old 03-19-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
NAIOU

Good luck on your journey into recovery. Logo
Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I definately didn't feel better after 2 weeks! It was the month mark that I stopped feeling irritable and exhausted. Still have bad days tho....

The only way out of this sh|t is through it Missinglife!

All the best