Notices

Spice abuse by loved one

Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Spice abuse by loved one

Hi, I really don't know what I'm expecting here, but here goes. My best friend's son (who I think of almost as my own) has gotten addicted to "spice" while at college. He was a highly intelligent, straight A student with a full scholarship two years ago, but has become dependent on this substance and has withdrawn from school to return home for recovery. From what I can tell, he has dillusional interpretations of good and evil; one minute thinking God has spoken to him, then another minute thinking the Devil is making him do things. He has lost weight, is paranoid (thinking someone will hurt him), and has horrible nightmares. She just brought him home 2-3 days ago, he went to church and said he has been saved, but I'm still worried about the dependency. She is convinced him being saved in Church is the only thing he needs, and is holding off taking him to a professional. While this may be the only mental healing he needs, I'm concerned about the physical addiction. I have had no other personal experience with addicts and am seeking advice. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi jman86 - welcome

Although I definitely understand being concerned I'm not sure what you can do here - your friend is his mother after all.

Have you spoken to your friend about your concerns at all?
D
Old 03-19-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

I have no experience with this. You are a wonderful friend to have.

Hugs,
Old 03-19-2012, 03:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That "spice" stuff is crazy. It's supposedly a molecule similar to thc and triggers the same receptors as other cannabinoids but it's really a shot in the dark. The compound isn't what it appears. It's not a mixture of plants or anything organic. It's a chemical sprayed onto miscellaneous plants that would have no effect. It's labrat stuff (usually made in China) that really hasn't been around long enough or tested throughly enough to really know the long term effects. It won't be legal for much longer BUT that doesn't mean something else won't just pop up to replace it.

As far as any actual addiction goes it should be similar withdrawal to cannabis assuming the brand he uses is an actual cannabinoid molecule.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Check out these sites listed by Google:

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...514c2d9de728e2

There may be some there that you you can print out and give to your friend.

They are just starting to find out the damage this drug does.

Hope the above helps a bit.

Love and hugs,
Old 03-19-2012, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

spice and energy drinks need to be banned, there hasn't been enough testing on either one.

Sending Love your way,
Old 03-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Of course I've spoken to my friend; that's how I'm aware of the severity of the situation. As a matter of fact, I'm "babysitting" him tomorrow because he can't be left alone (his mother works and I'm retired). Obviously, the decision to take him to counseling isn't mine to make, I can only be here to support them, but I was hoping to get some insight into this addiction by someone maybe that has experienced it or knows of someone that has. Like I said, I think of him almost as my own son and would do anything for either of them; I just don't know what to expect.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Does your friend know about this site to get more information?
Old 03-20-2012, 09:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the moral support, guys. I'll keep up my information quest and see what I can dig up. Apparently, this stuff has really messed him up.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I told her that I joined to see what information I could find. I've sent her links to other sites....I talk to her every day, and apparently I'm one of the few that her son trusts to be around right now. Paranoid, maybe? This is scary for me because I also have a teen son still at home, but I will take as much care of him while he's here as if he was my own son. I will suggest that she join this site.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
NAIOU

I have seen some people that have gotten clean by going to church. It is possible. You have to go to church like you are working a program. Get involved and do service work. Go when to doors are open and you might stand a chance at staying clean. I hope things work out for your friend. Good luck on this journey. Love and Respect. Logo