Notices

new and need advice

Old 03-18-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new and need advice

Hi,

I need some advice i managed to stop drinking 11 weeks ago with the help of some medication after 20 years of cronic everyday drinking even thought i had tried many times before this time it worked, the problem now 11 weeks later iam still suffering terribly with anxiety, worry, irritable thoughts and fatigue, the fatigue is my biggest concern because i still need to go to work to pay my bills and carnt even face walking out the door, so my big question is.... is this mormal or might there be somthing else wrong with me because no one seems to know even my doctors wont give me an answer. why am i still suffering after all iv been through ? Iam that angry and anxious about the situation i feel like hurting my self. No body seems to understand me, counsellors and docs dont seem to belive how serious this is in my head. I need advice from people here who know what its like, how long will this take ? is my cronic fatigue normal ? please help. God bless Daggs
Old 03-18-2012, 09:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, daggs, welcome to SR.

Well, some people start to feel better right away, and for other people it takes longer. I suppose it's also possible that you had been suffering anxiety and fatigue all along, but alcohol masked it. It's pretty hard to know what our normal baseline is when we drink every day, year after year....

Of course, I'm just speaking in generalities that may or may not apply to you. Sounds to me like it might be time to look for new docs or counselors; whatever the cause, you deserve a professional opinion from someone who takes your concerns seriously.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Daggs....Welcome to SR...Have you put any thought into getting some face to face support from other recovering alcoholics?...AA maybe...I know from working those 12 steps my anxiety, worry, irritable thoughts and fatigue took a turn for the better...Just being around people like me was a major turning point.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me I've had random days of anxiety, but not every day. I think it's a little odd that you are having such strong anxiety 11 weeks into your sobriety, have you talked to your doctor about an axiety medication?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Daggs

11 weeks is a little long to experience fatigue like that purely from not drinking, at least in my experience, but it's very difficult for any of us here to suggest reasons why - obviously, none of us are Drs.

You say the Docs found nothing - have you sought a second opinion?
Do you think you may need counselling instead of a GP?

D
Old 03-18-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Daggs...

I'm happy to hear that you have stopped drinking, but I am sorry to hear that you are having a difficult time with some of your other symptoms.
I attend Al-anon and I learned that "extreme fatigue for a year or more after drinking stops may be one of the symptoms of the drinker's withdrawal from alcohol." I am quoting this from the handout I received at an Al-anon meeting called, "So you love an Alcoholic."

Are the medical professionals that you have been consulting with aware of your issues with alcohol?
You would be surprised at how little General Practioners know about the specifics of the disease.
I'm only saying this because 5 years ago, I was involved with a man who was abusing alcohol for an anxiety disorder and when he told the doctor that he "only has 2 glasses of wine, so he can sleep." The doctor didn't seem too concerned....

I, on the other hand, chimed in and said, wait a min....even if it's only 2 glasses, drinking in order to relax to me, is a sign of dependency...

Well, needless to say, that was the last time, my now (ex-alcoholic boyfriend) allowed me to go to the doctors with him again...

And, after several months, (looking back on it now) I am SURE he was drinking way more than 2 glasses of wine....

Have you considered consulting with a doctor who specializes in treating addictions?

I agree with another member who mentioned that you may not have been aware of your anxeity because of your previous drinking...

Recently, I attended a lecture at my school about substance abuse and the professor who was speaking to us, said that he will not treat an alcoholic patient unless they are also attending AA meetings. He really believes in the program as it has helped so many people deal with some of the struggles that you are currently dealing with.

I wish you the very best in your recovery. Remember, things may be tough for you now, but they DO get better....

Best wishes,

Diva 76
Old 03-18-2012, 11:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Consider seeing a mental health professional. From your brief description you may be dealing with depression. The physical possibilities of the fatigue need to be ruled out but the mental health exam is worth a try.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

daggs, are you attending AA meetings? I'm sure that would help you a lot.

You sound like me when I first started to get dry.

Wishing you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-19-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Daggs, I think you should get a second opinion since it sounds like your dr is not really listening to you.

Congratulations on your sobriety.
Old 03-19-2012, 06:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Daggs...........you might be describing a medial problem........but you might be describing untreated alcoholism.

You mentioned you stopped drinking, that's great, but for alcoholics like me, not drinking doesn't stop the problems. When I'm "not drinking" I seem to get up close and personal with all the reason I used to drink.... yanno? I tried therapy, I tried thinking myself well, did antidepressants for a while......but what's worked, worked 24/7, and has given me a life I actually enjoy has been working the spiritual path of recovery in AA. I've found there's a whole lot of stuff I can do.....and stuff I can't do. AA's helped me find a God of MY understanding (you get to create your own) I can tap into for the power I need in the times I "can't hack it."
Old 03-19-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

I understand anxiety from the perspective of someone that has panic attacks and a generalized anxiety disorder. CBT and DBT can directly address anxiety disorders.

I also take psychiatric medications in conjunction with the above mentioned therapy's. The anxiety in not gone completely but it is manageable enough to where I can do the things I need and want to do.

I hope you can find some treatments that will work for you.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Daggs. Congratulations on your 11 weeks sober. There are some good suggestions here already. I hope you'll find relief from your anxiety. We care about you.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Daggs...........you might be describing a MEDICAL problem........but you might be describing untreated alcoholism.
typo
Old 03-20-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
~sb

"Restless, irritable, and discontent"

Have you found a local AA meeting to try out? My new solution was in working the steps. No more anxiety for me.

I wish you awesome sobriety!