Notices

New and Scared

Old 03-18-2012, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New and Scared

Hey everyone. I am so glad that a site like this exists. The anonymity of posting from a computer is strangely liberating; I feel like I can say anything without fear of reprisal or judgment. I'm a nurse working in the health-care field and I admit it: I have a problem with binge drinking and I have to do something about it. I've always been known as the person who can "have a good time." And worse, I have spent years rationalizing the problem. I have seen so many people come through the hospital with drinking problems, but never wanted to admit that I may also have a problem. I guess because it isn't a chronic thing for me. The worst is parties and weekends. I can't seem to stop. I never realize when I've had enough. I guess this whole time I've been lying to myself saying that because I don't drink everyday that I don't have a problem. So I'm setting a sobriety date: March 17, 2012. I have spent all day today with the worst hangover ever, puking every 10-15 minutes and completely dehydrated. The hangovers seems to keep getting worse and worse. I never used to have that problem. But then I read online about a phenomenon called kindling. I guess this must be what is happening with me. I am so very scared of all the health related consequences of my drinking problem. I really feel that if I binge one more time, I could end up with a stroke or choking on my own vomit. My friends are even more concerned. I am sick of making a fool of myself. I don't deserve the friends that I have, they take care of me. I now need to start taking care of myself.

"Part of compliance is defiance, but you must arrive at acceptance of the disease."

One step at a time I guess.

I would really appreciate any advice y'all can give.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome to SR!

Lots to read, take your time!

Old 03-18-2012, 08:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to a safe place...Glad you're here.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know when I detoxed they kept giving me blue gatorade...For the elctrolytes...I don't know if it matters what color it is...But see if you can get some of that...Stay away from caffiene for awhile...It never hurts to talk with your doctor and tell them what you've been drinking(amounts) and what your plans are.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

There are several people in my AA group who were binge drinkers rather than daily drinkers. They didn't think they had a problem at first, since they didn't drink every day. But then they figured out that they drank an entire week's worth of drinks in just one weekend and that they were no better off than us "daily drunks."

You're a nurse so you know what to look for when detoxing ... please be careful during this process and get help if you need it.

You are in a safe haven here. Welcome to SR.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Former Iowa Partyman

I Feel Your Pain!

I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I quit drinking after being drunk Thursday night, and hungover Friday. I have been at this since college, and it is catching up with me. I am tired all of the time, am gaining weight, do not have that "sharp mind" I am expected to have, and my family is worried about me. My luck is running out...I quit, and plan to keep it that way. I will support you anyway I can, and need everyone's help to do the same.

Good luck...we're on our way to recovery!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the support guys!

I'm looking at my first AA meeting on Tuesday. Really nervous and hoping I can get through it without crying or being awkward.

Oh yeah, and gatorade and powerade are quickly becoming my best friends
Although I like the pink strawberry kiwi flavor as opposed to the blue drink lol.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

pink strawberry kiwi flavor?.....I should have gone to a better facility.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I got a guy in my meeting I go to everyday...He has about 20 years sober...He tells about his first meeting and how he cried like a baby...Some lady came up to him after the meeting and told him...It's OK to cry...You won't have to pee so much...
Old 03-18-2012, 09:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

You have come to the right place! I just found this site a few days ago and have had so much support and advice from complete strangers...we're all here to help and we're all only doing our best! Feel free to message me if you ever need to talk, we're all here to help each other and I think you'll feel better realizing that! Good luck on your sobriety, you can do it!
Old 03-18-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Former Iowa Partyman

When Does the Craving Subside?

I have not gone a day without drinking for years...and the craving for me starts at 5 sharp. As I cannot have "one" and be done, I need to stop cold turkey...if that is possble. How many days need to go by before I don't spend so much of the day thinking about drinking?
Old 03-18-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, I don't have a lot of answers for anybody. All I can say is I joined fully expecting to fail. I knew and still do that I can't quit drinking for the rest of my life but I figured out I could for 24 hours. Somehow those 24 hours are stacking up on me. I'm coming up on 3 months. Please be easy on yourself. You are fragile. Stick with it. Ive seem people relapse (which I fully expected to do) and come right back here. Their days are stacking up to.
I can't tell you how many days need to go by, I spent the first couple of weeks with bad dts and extreme anger over not being able to drink. I can tell you that 80 days out I love being sober. My journey has just begun and although it is not always easy I'm learning everyday.
Love to you all and don't give up
Old 03-18-2012, 09:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good for you karilyn...That's awesome.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome DCP - I think you've made a great decision, and I know you'll find a lot of support here...

We have a few other nurses too

D
Old 03-18-2012, 09:48 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too Iowa

I don't know about you & how long you drank but but I drank for years - it took me a while not to think about drinking anymore...

It was more than a few days or even a few weeks...but you will find a ton of encouragement here...you're not alone

You'll find it gets better

I really encourage you to seek some level of medical support tho - detox can be problematic for some of us.

D
Old 03-18-2012, 11:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee74, alcohol withdrawal can cause some serious medical consequences. Seizures and brain damage being the most serious ones. Make sure to talk to a doctor before quitting. He or she can help make sure you quit safely, and sometimes they can recommend medications to prevent some of these medical consequences. I've seen it time and time again in the hospital where people go through withdrawal. It can be dangerous depending on how much and how long you've been drinking. A doctor is your best friend in this case. Plus, they can give you lots of information that can help motivate and inspire sobriety.