Notices

The hard work continues. . .

Old 03-18-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The hard work continues. . .

Just told my 11 year old about my recent DUI. Some people may not agree with my decision to tell her but I told her for three reasons... 1. I don't lie to her and making up a fake whereabouts to where our car is doesn't sit well with me. 2. I don't want her to find out from someone else, seeing as we live in a semi small town and the paper typically prints people's names when in the courts... 3. Alcoholism runs rampant in both sides of her family. It will be years until she finds out if she too might be someone who "can't" drink, might as well start the lessons early in case she is. I'd rather ANY day that I make this mistake, if it means she won't in the future. I'm a binge drinker and she has a very active social life -- until now, she had absolutely NO idea I had a problem with drinking.

Tomorrow is my meeting with my boss to see if I can still be employed as a substance use and addictions counsellor for youth...

It seems no matter HOW cautious you are as a binge drinker... Eventually reality steps in to slap you in the face.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Oh, I guess I have a 4th reason as well... Huge lesson in responsibility for one's actions. I made a HUGE mistake, am thankful I learned now, instead of taking someone else's life, and plan on completely reaping everything I sowed in the outcome. I deserve everything I have coming to me...

haha another one I have thought of while typing 4... 5. People make mistakes. The amount of love and support I have received from those in my life has been overwhelming. All of my co-workers and friends have reached out to me and I am so lucky to be so blessed and hope I will be the same when other people make their mistakes.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome SullenGirl...I don't think there is anything wrong with honesty...Do you have any plans for helping you with stopping for good?
Old 03-18-2012, 02:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SullenGirl View Post

Tomorrow is my meeting with my boss to see if I can still be employed as a substance use and addictions counsellor for youth...
I'm not sure I understand this statement .......

Is this like "Take my advice, I'm not using it."

Bob R. (near Windsor)
Old 03-18-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Pretty much just stating the irony of the situation and the doubtfulness that I will get my job back.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you started a program of recovery in the last two days? AVRT, SMART, AA are all available and if you started, it might show others you are determined to stay stopped. Just a suggestion, I know these programs are all helping people to stay stopped and to change their lives.
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It might be best to do some inpatient treatment, here are a few for you:

Toronto Central Alcohol Drug Rehab Programs