Notices

getting off norco need help

Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation getting off norco need help

I don't have a huge problem I think. I was in a car accident and put on a lot of meds like vicodin and soma and slow release morphine and gabapentin. Currently I'm taking the slow extended release morphine and norco. The others were easy to stop. I started taking half a dose the last few weeks and yesterday I only took a coupl and felt like crap. Today I took half a pill because I had to work and I had mood swings my body hurts back is killing me. What am I in for? I have more pills a few steps away. Is this worth it?

Been taking the pills almost 4 years next month
Old 03-17-2012, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you're taking the pills after the physical pain is gone then yea, I would say it's a huge problem. I started taking opioids for legit reasons, I was in severe pain but the problem started the day my physical pain stopped. After that, it became an addiction and after 12 years I can tell you there is nothing to look forward to down this road, it only gets darker.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The thing is everyday I'm in pain but I hear some people say the pills mess with ur mind. Drs did exams and shots a and mri and saw my buldged disk and herniated disk in my back are healingand there is no reason for me to be in pain. But all day its hurting. Are the pills making it worse? I don't feel good now and I'm afraid of what to come
Old 03-17-2012, 11:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you go and take a look at the Substance Abuse board you will find quite a few in your predicament. If you are still in legitimate pain then my "suggestion" (as we are not allowed to offer medical advice) is to ask your doctor to refer you to pain management and then tell that doctor you are in pain but don't want anymore narcotics.

Have you ever tried a TENS unit? It is a little box with leads running from it. You attach the leads to the place where it hurts and when you turn it on it sends electrical pulses in those areas. You can use the box to dial up or down the intensity or rhythm of the pulses. I'm not saying that is the answer but they are effective for many people.

They may also have exercises you can do to strengthen the areas thus reducing pain.

In the end, only you can decide if you want to get rid of the Norco for good or walk those few steps where they are at. Withdrawal of any kind isn't pleasant or fun. I stopped drinking almost 8 years ago and can tell you that the withdrawals were the hardest thing I have ever gone through but in the end the freedom was (and still is) so worth it!

Welcome, good luck, keep posting and reading and have a look on the Substance Abuse board where you can read of others experiences with getting clean.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 03-18-2012, 12:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to pain management. Guy didn't do much just prescribed medicine and told me to go to a clinic three days a week but I work full time. He couldn't tell me what was going on, why I was still in pain. His other option was for me to stop taking them. The TENS u mentioned sounds interesting. But I can't find a dr who really really wants to fix me (when I'm not working) I jusst want someone to tell me what's wrong and give me a way to fix it. I feel the first step is to see how I feel after stoppoing the pills. I don't want to be addicted all my life!
Old 03-18-2012, 12:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I know nothing about Norcos but I wanted to welcome you to SR

You'll find a lot of support here and in the Substance Abuse forum

D
Old 03-18-2012, 02:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by getoffnorcohelp View Post
But I can't find a dr who really really wants to fix me (when I'm not working) I jusst want someone to tell me what's wrong and give me a way to fix it. I feel the first step is to see how I feel after stoppoing the pills. I don't want to be addicted all my life!
Seeing as how this is your life you are talking about...Maybe you are going to have to take a day off....I don't know anything about norcos either...Never heard of them. But I'm sure somewhere out there is a doctor that can help you see how it feels to live without them...Safely....4 years is a long time to be taking any pills...I have no idea what the detox and withdrawal from those are...I can tell you I couldn't do it with alcohol on my own..I would find that doctor and maybe look into a program like NA or something to assist you with your recovery....I'd hate to see you be addicted all your life too...I'm sure it would shorten it.