Notices

Setting a quit date

Old 03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

At the moment my date started a week after I 'd stopped and a few months after curtailing .Not during the week but at weekends but I had already started increasing so after 5 days of nothing my plan was drinking then I said no ! Wrote a number on my hand and said get to there and then see I reached there and have carried on. I can't turn back and I am better for it.
For those that said hi thanks esp Dee74.
So take his advice and go for it now. If it doesn't work try try and try again it will.
John.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:47 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
LDT

Since my plan was to get out of detox and then "moderate" ( yeah, right ), I completely shocked myself by saying "I think right this minute would be a good time to quit completely". This happened a few days after detox, while I was home washing dishes. It literally felt like another person had said that out loud......very surreal.....especially since I had not been drinking. For me that was the end....409 days ago.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Done it many a time, I'll stop drinking after such a time, birthday, christmas, new year etc. No, never works as there is always another date in the diary to celebrate or look forward to.
If you're wanting to stop the drink do it that day. If you have some left in the bottle, throw it down the sink.
It's the only way.
Then you can say to yourself 'you are an non drinker'
P.S. I was proud to say that to someone today!!!!
Old 03-16-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Heathen

"Social obligations"? Really!? C'mon, we've all made the same excuses. There's always a 'next' reason to drink for an alcoholic.. especially one that's not ready to quit.

Good luck.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
LDT

So true Bonnie.Someone I hadn't seen in a long time, and who shares my same birthday, said to me today "We should go have a cocktail to celebrate our birthdays" I happily said, "I don't do cocktails any more, but I definitely do coffee." After a few seconds of silence and a shocked look from her she said "Well then, let's have lunch....you still EAT don't you?" LOL!!
Old 03-16-2012, 04:52 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
~sb

I have now. Nothing else is promised to us.

I hope you reconsider a month's time and do it now.