Notices

Taking Long Walks Every Day

Old 03-15-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Fdm

Taking Long Walks Every Day

This week, I began Week 4 of my new found sobriety! I don't know why, but Wednesday afternoon, I took a long walk from my office around my downtown area. Today, I walked at least a mile or so around my town. I would have never done this when I was a drinker.

Of course, I'm sore from doing this in dress shoes and, today, in boots. I'm going to bring my New Balances tomorrow, lol.

I'm also losing weight! I am on the verge of the 150s (lbs) again, and I haven't seen that in years!

I am really enjoying the small things in life now, and I really enjoy my daily walks.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I need to go for my walk tonight too. Great work F!
Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I have to admit, I love a good long walk. Especially in the middle of a difficult and stressful work day.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been walking a lot too. Definitely helps clear your mind. =D
Old 03-16-2012, 03:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I go at night time when its a little more peaceful, sometimes as late as 11:30pm. Its great exercise and helps clear the mind and like the OP, when I was a drinker I never did this stuff.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JEANS

Great thread. Walking is so relaxing and really good exercise. I've found that I am looking at things more such as old buildings and trees and i'm starting to appreciate them.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I love walking my dogs. And my doctor told me that the number one thing I can do to ward off dementia is to exercise. (I have several family members with dementia) So walking it is. And the dogs love going out for a good long sniff.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Fdm

Originally Posted by Jeans View Post
Great thread. Walking is so relaxing and really good exercise. I've found that I am looking at things more such as old buildings and trees and i'm starting to appreciate them.
Exactly! We are having a June-like March here, and the trees are in bloom and flowers won't be far behind. I love walking the old sidewalks in my town and looking at homes and stopping to look at the young fish in the creeks.

It also clears my mind. I had a stressful day, up until the point when I set out on my "walk-a-bout".
Old 03-16-2012, 05:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JEANS

There's nothing better than watching everything changing throughout all the seasons.

Sooooo glad you're having fun walking
Old 03-16-2012, 05:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yay! I started taking long walks right after supper time because that was a triggering time for me. It helped me on so many levels. Of course, it got me out of the house and away from drinking which was great. It helps me physically to feel stronger and healthier. Also, when I walk alone, it gave me time to pay attention to my neighborhood and the beauty around me. I often walk with my husband (sans cell phone, etc) and that was a treat. We have great conversations.