Notices

HUGE Relapse

Old 03-14-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

HUGE Relapse

I had 2 months in the bag and I let the little voice tell me I could enjoy a drink to celebrate and keep it in bounds. Wow, was I wrong. I have never had a binge like this before. It started out a couple of mixed drinks and turned into a half gallon of vodka or whiskey a day for a week and a half. I finally got ahold of myself and went in and saw the doctor. He prescribed me Xanax and I feel a ton better already. Wow, I won't fool myself into that thinking again.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Random Guy

WOW not only on the level that you jumped to so quickly but on the foresite to stop it just as quickly. It sucks that you had two months but at least you caught the drinking early and made the proper steps to squash it immedioutly.

Good for you
Old 03-14-2012, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome back!

Remember xanax is also addictive.

I wish you the best,
Old 03-14-2012, 12:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

legalage,

Sorry to hear about your relapse, but you didn't lose the experience of the two months sobriety, and it sounds like you learned a lot from relapsing....so you are still way ahead of where you were 2 months ago.

I am so glad that you stopped yourself now. Just get back on the horse - if you can do two months, you can make it!
Old 03-14-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back.

Previously you'd asked how long people needed to be sober before they could successfully return to drinking and many members were kind enough to give you some very uniform feedback from their experience.

If you don't mind me asking, I'm curious why you believed you'd be the exception to the norm? Did you feel your problem with alcohol was minimal, so you could drink a bit and not go off the deep end exactly like people mentioned had happened to them?

It may be helpful for others to cover anything you can recall about your mental process in coming to the point where having a drinkie seemed like the good and right thing despite the difficulties it had earlier caused you. Had your understanding of those difficulties changed? Did you feel your system had healed or morphed into that of a nonalcoholic?

At this point even though the xanax is making you feel wonderful, do you have any sense that you might expect some different result than this if you were to stay sober for a much longer term? Would you now believe you may morph into a nonalcoholic after not drinking for 2 years, or 20 years? If so, can you describe why you would possibly believe that to be true, that again you would prove to be an exception to the norm?

Appreciate any thoughts you might have on this, as it's good for those people who are about to experience the usual awful results to hear from someone fresh from conducting the desperate experiment, and a few may even delay their own for an extra day or two.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Good luck
Old 03-14-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

legalage, are you going to AA?

I wish you the best.

Bob R
Old 03-14-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think that I drank because I just let my guard down. Instead of thinking it through I only got as far as thinking about that first drink. I know I will make it further next time. I think I caught it in time and everything will be fine. Maybe a beer on fridays
Old 03-14-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by legalage View Post
Maybe a beer on fridays
Not a great idea...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

Congrats on catching yourself. At least you can learn from the experience. I was tempted by a couple of beers but alcohol in any form or quantity is still poison.
Old 03-14-2012, 01:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
instant

Little voice. big problem.
Glad you are back
Old 03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

To be honest. I feel like keeping drinking for a while. I know this isnt a good idea, but it seems to be the right thing to do
Old 03-14-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

To be honest. I feel like keeping drinking for a while. I know this isnt a good idea, but it seems to be the right thing to do

Go for it...Maybe this relapse wasn't so huge afterall...
Old 03-14-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't forget to stop the Xanax....
Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

'Wow, I won't fool myself into that thinking again.'

'Maybe a beer on fridays'

So, just a Friday drink to celebrate the week, knowing you'll keep it in bounds.

You may have just set a new record for how fast denial settles back in the driver's seat.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I sincerely hope you don't combine the xanax with continued drinking. That can be deadly.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I think you know what the right thing to do is. If I get close to drinking I always ask myself how would this make my life easier. and fact is usually you start with slow and it will get worse over time. Remeber the reasons why you stopped in the first place.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Who knows....
Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Threw away the Xanax and not drinking now. Trying to remind myself its not worth it. Will only make things worse.
Old 03-14-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Are you going to do some kind of program to stay stopped?