Notices

2nd month harder than first

Old 03-14-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2nd month harder than first

In a couple weeks I hit my 2 month sobriety date on March 28. I've had some harder times resisting over the past couple weeks than I've had the entire nearly 2 months sober. As my body starts to heal and I start to feel better and better I'm telling myself "what would make me feel better than to add a couple shots of liquor to my good mood." Last weekend was my toughest challenge and I nearly gave in. I had it in my head that I wanted "only a couple airplane bottles" to brighten my good mood on a Saturday afternoon (weekends are hard for me). It consumed my entire Saturday! The opportunity came up for me to offer my services to run to town and buy something for dinner. Well I knew that the liquor store was one block from the local Wal-Mart/Food Lion/Kroger and I was so tempted to take that trip and sneak 2-3 shots and have them done before I could get home. It was truly a hard task but I held strong and did not make that trip. I never told anyone in my household that I was stuggling and what I was barganning with in my brain. I've only mentioned it here so that anyone else reading may find strength because I know I'm not the only one on this site with times where you think "a couple won't hurt." Let me tell you that it would have hurt. The next day would have been horrible for my morale and all time and strength I've put in trying to stop the cycle. Anyone that has stopped I'm sure knows what I'm talking about. This is so new to me. I feel so good latley from my body healing that I really want to "celebrate" or give myself a bigger boost of good spirt. The only thing that I think has stopped me is the horrible health scare I had in January. If I had not had that experience I think it would have been easier for me to hop in the car and run 7 miles up the road to the liquor store. Please stay strong everyone and know that life, from what I'm starting to experience, has a lot in store for you sober. Better moods, better sleep, more confidence and just an all around better life. I'm holding onto that while I continue to struggle day by day to remain sober.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think that is why it is important to have some kind of program or plan...Whatever it may be...That gives you tools to deal with this....Rather than struggle with it.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found my second month harder than my first, after the feeling of achievement from getting the first month. It did gradually get better from there on. I'm glad that you've been able to think it through and remain sober, I'm grateful now that I did.