Notices

got my diagnosis

Old 03-14-2012, 02:28 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
JEANS

I'm sorry for your diagnostic, it does seem very early days yet though and I agree about getting a second opinion and also asking for more information on this.
Old 03-14-2012, 02:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am sorry you have this worrying diagnosis. It sounds very chilling. It also does sound a bit implausible, but anything is possible.

Including: tremendous recoveries on the part of the brain and the liver. these are two organs that are remarkable for healing damage if it is stopped in time.

Definitely go to a different doctor and get a second opinion.

Meanwhile: To help your brain start healing, which might mean re-routing neural pathways, simple challenges like reading a mystery novel, doing puzzles, playing strategy games, etc. can be very helpful.

As said above, write everything down. You might find it helpful to write a journal. anything that asks your brain to keep a batch of information on hand at the present moment is going to help.

Best wishes and be optimistic!
Old 03-14-2012, 06:21 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

That must have been devastating news but I agree with what the other posters have said and get a second opinion and start doings some research of your own to understand better what you are going through and how to I prove the condition.

Stay strong and motivated.

CaiHong
Old 03-14-2012, 06:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

We all come to AA with "damage", some reversible and some irreversible.
AA says that our disease can be arrested at any time by getting with the program.
I hope that your diagnosis acts as an impetus to go to recovery and not as an excuse to fall into self-pity and do further damage. Self-pity is a root of my alcoholism.

I wish you the best in your recovery.

Bob R
Old 03-14-2012, 09:14 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'd ask around a bit more, and get an overall health check.

I was very forgetful in my first year of recovery, and the past few years of my life seemed like a lost blur. I was recommended Vitamin B to help with the nerve repair process. Addiction leaves its mark on us all, I agree, I feel as if mine is just in a sort of remission.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, the support is great here. In answer to the above questions, I have no other physical damage, my liver, stomach and pancreas is all fine, the only issues is the enzymes in my liver were raised slightly.

My issues are poor organisation, my short term memory is bad and I am not sure which events happen on which day. In addition, I find it difficult to access situations. In particular, my long term memory is very patchy to say the least and some memories have been eradicated.

I am going to get a second opinion, as even the consultant could not believe my brain had gone down so quickly. I mean if you think about some of these rockers, particularly Ozzy Osbourne drinking 4 bottles of whisky a day and being a general alcoholic for years, It seems unbelievable that I have this condition.

I am trying to keep positive, but I was a law student at a top law school and now my career looks to be finished because of a few crazy weeks. Not being able to connect with my family because of my lack of memories is also destroying me to be honest.

I can only pray now. My only hope is that this is a very bad version of PAWS and that the doctor is wrong with the diagnosis.

I'll keep you all updated, but thank you for the support.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
hcd

Good luck... I can see especially how hard this would be for a law student. But at least you're really, really young, and I can't believe you won't be able to rebuild. Like other people have said, doctors can't tell you anything for sure. You're responsible for controlling the things you can control.