Notices

Hello.

Old 03-12-2012, 10:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello.

So many questions !
Firstly after an easy few months doing the off and on thing . No drink Monday through Friday couple of beers Fri /Sat after 30 or more years of bouncing of walls to get to bed every day , those stairs move so quick! Every few years an attempt to stop years of saying tonight just a couple always failing .Times of just too much then months of so so much.
The day came and went with not too much stress not much sleep but the sleep I had was much better than normal.Day 8 of wanting never to touch a drop and feeling good until complete panic felt I was going to die looking at my beautiful wife ,three kids brought tears of panic and sadness no appetite slight nausea.
No craving What is happening.
Also gained one hell of a ache over my liver that wasn't there before.
Can cope with that but hell I've become jumpy no problems the first week.
Is this normal !!!!!
Oh I'm John wanting this for some decades .My life is good ,we are inspight of my attempts a good couple and good parents to amazing kids. My wife knows I'm trying to stop for good but giving no pressure .
I've enjoyed reading your forum and know I will need help . Not sure I can do the steps can't cope with meetings yet need to be sober at the heart of my family now and lick wounds and plan . I enjoy sober ,missing the rush of the first drink when problems dissolve but apart from tears and emotional ride it's good.
Though I must be aware of apathy.
Thanks J.
Old 03-12-2012, 10:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Spinach!
Old 03-12-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Spinach...Sounds like you have enough reasons to quit...If AA is not for you...There are other ways and people here that know them....This is a good place..It's a good start for getting alcohol out of your life completely...
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome spinach

Maybe see a Dr about that liver pain and the anxiety - that way you can set your mind at rest a little?

There are a load of recovery methods around - and many of them - AA SMART and LifeRing - all offer online meetings, while RationalRecovery has no meetings at all

Here's some links to some of the main players:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach like SMART LifeRing, RR etc.

D
Old 03-12-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee...
Old 03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee the anxiety came out of the blue and hit me for six . The pain seems worse will see my GP presently.
I'm not against religion in fact the serenity prayer is beautiful I just don't enjoy being looked over even if it's for help. I either show off or run. I guess drink used to manage both those problems.
Thanks
Old 03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Spinach! You're among friends. We all understand how you feel. Congratulations on your decision to reclaim your life. You never have to go back to the uncertainty of those drinking days. We're here to help & support you.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Originally Posted by Spinach
I just don't enjoy being looked over even if it's for help. I either show off or run.
AA is not for everyone, but that not going stop you from recovering from alcohol drinking. Below as some useful links to recovery sites that can aid you in developing a program of recovery.

SOS' and 'LifeRing
SMART Tools and SMART Articles
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy Addiction Recovery Tools from cbtrecovery.com
DBT Life Skills For Emotional Health Great tools for maintaining sobriety. (from dbtselfhelp.com/index.html)
Rational Recovery: The New Cure for Substance Addiction. By Jack Trimpey. (Google book preview including the Addiction Voice Recognition Technique or the AVRT)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SHARING THE LOAD

Hi Spinach

Old 03-14-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

Welcome Spinach! I think it is awesome you have been reading the forum and even more awesome that you have posted. My prayer for you is for you to find a program that works for you and get and stay sober. Also that your liver pain goes away. Yes, seeing a doc definitely sounds like a great idea!

Lily