SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Hi, a newcomer here. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/251342-hi-newcomer-here.html)

JuJu2012 03-12-2012 09:59 AM

Hi, a newcomer here.

Hi, my name is JuJu and I am an alcoholic.

I drink every night after 6PM. I justify it by being bored. I cannot surf the net because I work on a computer all day, so it hurts my eyes to do it at night. I cannot watch TV because I find it incredibly boring. So, I plant myself in a chair on the porch and smoke a pack of cigaretts while driniking oh, probably half a gallon of wine. I know, it is ridiculous.

I have not had a sober night for five years. Five years ago I was arrested for the DUI and spent the night in jail. This alone was enough to stop me from drinking and driving, but I drink at home. A lot. I don't even want to know what my liver looks like.

Today is my first sober night in many, many years. God help me.

I will drink green tea and try to occupy myself with something. Some things I could come up with are: 1. Clean the bathroom. 2. Jump on the mini-trampoline. 3. ... ? :a108:

Thank you for listening and help.

BillyPilgrim 03-12-2012 10:00 AM

3 look up AA locally

sissy07 03-12-2012 10:26 AM

Welcome JuJu,

I could have written your post seven months ago. Do what you have to do to quit drinking - you will love sobriety.

artsoul 03-12-2012 10:50 AM

Welcome JuJu!

I can totally relate, too (many, many nights on the porch with my wine and cigs). It definitely catches up with us. Towards the end, the hangovers/withdrawal (especially the anxiety and depression) got worse and I found myself dreading the day each morning.

Keep reading and posting - this is a great place to learn and get lots of support!:ghug3

JustBreath 03-12-2012 10:58 AM

Hi Juju :) Walking seems to be a nice distraction and the weather is getting nice enough to do it.

I wish you well tonight.

InsertNameHere 03-12-2012 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by JuJu2012 (Post 3317660)
I drink every night after 6PM.

I justify it by being bored.

probably half a gallon of wine. I know, it is ridiculous.

I have not had a sober night for five years.

but I drink at home. A lot.

Today is my first sober night in many, many years.

Thank you for listening and help.

I have sort of assigned myself as part of the welcoming commitiy today which is slightly out of character for me but :welcome

Lets see evening drinker after work yep thats me.

being bored and in my case lonley and I liked it.

mine was beer but at least 12-20 a night.

every night for about 5-6 years yep, I had a few sober times but that was never by choice my job can force one to not be able to drink sometimes.

mostly drank at home especially latley and if I went out I always started at home.

Tonight is my second sober night.

Oh and I smoke so much when drinking I sometimes can barley talk the next day.

You will find people here that can help.

Dee74 03-12-2012 01:54 PM

Hi and welcome Juju :)

You'll find a ton of support here :)

Drinking as long and as regularly as you have I encourage you to see a Dr if you feel uneasy or unwell - it can be a huge change for us.

D

stepping 03-12-2012 01:59 PM

Hi Juju!

What about taking a walk? Reading? Writing? Cooking? Grocery shopping? Call someone...anyone lol.
Just don't drink.
As the days go by you will feel better and better! I wish you all the best.
I could have written this thread/post...you are not alone. :)

DoinThis 03-12-2012 02:08 PM

The boredom killed me in the first month sober (well it felt like that). Now I don't feel bored at all and feel amazingly rested in the morning. I actually had a MASSIVE list that I wrote of 101 things to do before drinking because boredom was my main trigger!

List included.....
AA
Read
Walk, run, gym, weights, exersize u enjoy
Listen to music
Cook a feast
Coffee, chocolate
Wash the dog
Call a friend
Clean like a crazy person (to music)
Anything but drink basically! I couldn't add anything more than simple things to my list as I have a 2 year old who limits what I can do but we do soooo much more together now I'm not distracted by drinking. Seriously....the boredom subsides quicker than u would think. It feels soooo long while u are living it (the first month) but its into the second month before u know it and in the scheme of things is nothing. I look back and think what a waste drinking all that time was.....how boring!!!

I read something once....
Q. What will I do if I don't drink?
A. Why, everything else!

:)